It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insane killer escapes on field trip to county fair

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   

SPOKANE, Wash. – A criminally insane killer from eastern Washington is on the run after escaping during a field trip to the county fair that his mental hospital organized.Why such a dangerous person was out in public was a question many, including Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire, were asking as authorities searched for Phillip Arnold Paul.

Authorities at Eastern State Hospital, where Paul is a patient, are being criticized for allowing him to visit the fair despite his violent criminal past and a history of trying to escape.

"Why was he allowed to take such a trip?" the governor said Friday. "Why did they go to a location that was so heavily populated with families?"

Authorities believed Paul, 47, was headed for the Sunnyside, Wash., area where his parents and many siblings live.

Paul was committed after he was acquitted by reason of insanity in the 1987 slaying of an elderly woman, whose body he soaked in gasoline to throw off search dogs. Paul buried the woman's remains in her flower garden.

Link to source

Wow and yikes! this dangerous man was allowed to take a fieldtrip to a county fair of all places, I hope they catch this guy quick and learn from their mistake because it's not a good idea to take convicted mentaly insane killers on fieldtrips.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Yeah, when I saw this as a quick blurb on Seattle Times' webpage just before noon, I figured it would grow some serious legs and I was correct. It was the big story tonight on the news here. I'm a bit confused as to exactly how a murderer sentenced to a lifetime of institutionalization after being criminally insane can possibly deserve or warrant a field trip. This is one of my main beefs with our justice system. He's "not guilty" because even though he murdered the lady he was insane and thus nonculpable? GTFO! These people are of no benefit to society whether behind bars in prison or behind padded walls in the nut hatch. Inject them with the Sodium pentathol and be done with it because otherwise, you always have the risk of something like this... a danger to society running loose after the supposed justice system took custody of the individual. Hopefully the loon tries to bust into somebody's house and that somebody is a firearm owner, drops a couple shells between his eyes, and the tax payer is off the hook for housing and feeding the guy.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I agree, I just hope if he does manage to break in to somebody's home that he dosen't hurt anybody.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Well...

If I was a 'crazy' person and I wanted to escape...

I suppose a county fair might be a good place to 'blend' in.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by muggl3z

pretty good, I just want to know what insane asylums offer "field trips" in their treatment programs..I feel a twich comming on.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
reply to post by muggl3z

pretty good, I just want to know what insane asylums offer "field trips" in their treatment programs..I feel a twich comming on.

Sounds like a top of the line facility to me.

Anybody know where I can voluntarily sign in?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sticky

Three hot's and a cot, fieldtrips lot's of nice people to talk with and best of all plenty of checkers and PIR to watch! oh and county fairs too

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

So you want to inject him with truth serum from the seventies?
I always love the commit murder in the name of murder routine.
A loon is a bird.
The taxpayer would be off the hook for feeding him yes, but the would be on the hook for a trial and housing and feeding the guy that shoots him.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plasma applicator

A loon is a bird.
The taxpayer would be off the hook for feeding him yes, but the would be on the hook for a trial and housing and feeding the guy that shoots him.

Wouldn't a clear case of self defense be enough for the D.A not to even press those kind of charges on a surprised homeowner who would shoot and maybe even kill this man?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I doubt it. D.A.s like to go after the little guy.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

If it does go down that way, (1) this is a high profile blunder (in th public's eye's) and (2) they are already scaring the crap out of the people who live in that area by calling him an "insane killer" so you know gun owners are on high alert in the area. I wouldn't see a D.A getting away with a conviction of John Q Homeowner killing this guy if he did break and enter and threaten life.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Wow and yikes! this dangerous man was allowed to take a field trip to a county fair of all places, I hope they catch this guy quick and learn from their mistake because it's not a good idea to take convicted mentally insane killers on field trips.

They never learn. In my area a guy convicted of attempted murder of his girl friend was turned loose because he was "cured" He made a beeline to his girl friend and killed her within 48 hrs of being released. The institution, DA and the rest did not even bother to let the woman know he was going to be released! Our legal system is much better at harassing the innocent than it is of protecting them. Actually Law Enforcement is no longer about catching murders and thieves it is now looked upon as a "Profit Center" and I am not talking about just traffic tickets.

Incredible as it sounds, civil asset forfeiture laws allow the government to seize property without charging anyone with a crime.

....Under civil asset forfeiture laws, the simple possession of cash, with no drugs or other contraband, can be considered evidence of criminal activity.

.... the government was allowed to keep whatever property it seized without ever having to prove a case. Seized property was presumed guilty and could be forfeited based upon mere hearsay—even a tip supplied by by an informant who stood to gain up to 25% of the forfeited assets. Owners were forced into the untenable situation of trying to prove a negative—that something never happened, even though no proof of any illegal act had been offered at trial.

Eighty percent of property forfeited to the US during the previous decade was seized from owners who were never even charged with a crime! Over $7 billion has been forfeited to the federal government since 1985. ....Law enforcement officials promoting expanded forfeiture laws comprised the overwhelming majority of lobbyists at hearings on forfeiture litigation. Meanwhile, prosecutors complained that police were less available to investigate crimes that did not involve forfeiture.

Over 200 federal forfeiture laws are attached to non-drug related crimes. Even a false statement on a loan application can trigger forfeiture. Physicians are subject to forfeiture of their entire assets based on a clerical errors in medicare billing. The government even tried to forfeit a farmer's tractor for allegedly running over an endangered rat....

"Even if you're a law-abiding citizen who's never been convicted of a crime, local police are allowed to confiscate your property and money and keep up to 80 percent of it for themselves, with the legal stipulation that this windfall be spent only on programs likely to result in additional confiscations where the police can keep up to 80 percent of the booty for themselves,"
Based on twelve months of covert observation from within narcotics enforcement agencies, "Drug Enforcement's Double Edged Sword: An Assessment of Asset Forfeiture Programs" described forfeiture as a "dysfunctional policy" that forces law enforcement agencies to subordinate justice to profit.
www.fear.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Maybe it wasn't an accident...The slasher movie people need new material. Everybody is tired of all the remakes.

Seriously though...

The union said workers alerted superiors "within two to three minutes of discovering Paul's escape." But administrators waited nearly two hours before calling law enforcement. That gave Paul plenty of time to disappear.

Huffington Post

Incompetent DillHoles

[edit on 19-9-2009 by TeeJay]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It's sad what has become of our justic system and our leaders. I really hope the comming revolution puts things back right.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

A man I knew got caught in a trap like that he had $120000 with him to pay for new Kenworth road tractor, he got stopped for speeding,they searched car found money took it. He proved money legit, the law got to keep $12,000 of it.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Why are killers being allowed to attend a state fair

Seriously, someone please help me understand this.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Welcome to my world; the world of kinder gentler corrections.

This is just one of many as we call them hug a thug programs; I'm waiting for them to reinstate the Take a Lifer to Lunch program they had in the 70's. It's true staff were required to take lifers out to lunch. We are now in the middle of the treatment vs custody swing it will continue like this until people start getting killed.

Reality what a concept.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plasma applicator

A loon is a bird.

Sorry, didn't mean truth serum. Late at night when I posted that. I meant sodium theopental.

Yes, revenge killings are an interesting topic. Don't know what that has to do with my post, however. I was referring to capital punishment, which is in no way murder. You cold bloodedly kill the little old lady next door, you are of no use to society and have volluntarilly forfeited your life. Think of it not as murder, but as state assisted suicide as the man clearly indicated that he no longer wished to live in society and would rather be dead. Washington, BTW, is a legalized suicide state... so it's all within the will of the voters.

A loon is also accepted shorthand for lunatic.

The taxpayer would be 100% off the hook in the state of Washington. Justifiable self defense in this state, if the intruder is in your home... don't believe you even have to demostrate that you felt your life was threatened if they break in. There wouldn't even be a trial... nor should there ever be.

new topics

top topics

join