It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN criticizes Israel's atomic program

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

UN criticizes Israel's atomic program

www.jpost.com

Sep 19, 2009 1:51

Overriding Western objections, a 150-nation nuclear conference on Friday passed a resolution directly criticizing Israel and its atomic program for the first time in 18 years. Iran hailed the vote as a "glorious moment."

The result was a setback not only for Israel but also for the United States and other backers of the Jewish state, which had lobbied for 18 years of past practice - debate on the issue without a vote. It also reflected building tensions between Israel and its backers and Islamic nations, backed by developing countries.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This is an interesting story. For the first time in 18 years the Israeli suspected nuclear capability actually made it to a vote! For years the United States has been blocking the World Body from actually voting on the issue.

The irony aside that Israel has long been guilty of developing an unregulated unmonitored atomic weapons program, while it seeks the world stage every chance it can get for decrying Iran for potentially doing the same, this does mark a major shift in just who is willing to go to bat for Israel these days and how hard they are prepared to swing.

My own fear has long been that Israel is being set up as a sacrificial lamb as a pretext for a broad major Middle East war. With Israel and Hamas both being accused of War Crimes during Israel’s incursion into Gaza with the Cast Lead Offensive and now it’s first official slap on the wrist for bypassing the nuclear energy and weapons channels imposed on other nations is Israel nearing that moment where it will be purposefully cut adrift from all the Superpower Nations to fend for itself and set an inviting stage for a broad Middle Eastern war?

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Of delegations present at the International Atomic Energy Agency meeting Friday, 49 voted for the resolution. Forty-five were against and 16 abstained from endorsing or rejecting the document, which "expresses concern about the Israeli nuclear capabilities," and links it to "concern about the threat posed by the proliferation of nuclear weapons for the security and stability of the Middle East."

We hear all the time about how having a nuclear armed Iran could potentially lead to extremist elements becoming nuclear armed via the Iranians.

The reality is just about every element in the Middle East and Persian Gulf Area is extremist, and one has to wonder how safely kept is Israel’s supposed undeclared by widely accepted nuclear arsenal. What extremist elements exist within Israel that might themselves use a suitcase nuke to make it look like one of their enemies carried out the attack? How secure are they from radical Islamic Fundamentalist groups too within Israel who one might imagine would love to get their hands on Israel’s nuclear weapons stockpile.

Every other nation under the sun more or less declares its arsenal and accounts for them internationally to the regulatory bodies but Israel.

Is it really safe to allow Israel to continue to run a nuclear weapons program without international oversight?

Is it even fair when the U.S. and other nations including Israel, and especially Israel are talking about a preemptive war against Iran for merely attempting what Israel has long been thought to be guilty of, as it refuses oversight and inspectors itself in regards to its own atomic energy and weapons programs?

Isn’t that the kind of double standard that makes us here in the U.S. vulnerable to radical elements through our selective application of international laws and treaties?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Israeli delegate David Danieli denounced the vote as "openly hostile to the state of Israel" and accused Iran and Syria of "creating a diplomatic smoke screen" to cover up their "pursuit of nuclear weapons."

How can it be openly hostile to use the approved International Forum through a democratic voting process to seek Israeli compliance to the very same thing that Israel claims that the failure to comply to in Iran’s case is a valid reason to launch a war against that nation?

It truly boggles the imagination how a nation who seeks the global spotlight almost daily to denounce unilaterally another nation pursuing a nuclear energy and weapons program with out oversight, threatening unilateral military action of it’s against that nation for that suspected infraction, feels that its hostile for itself to be held to the very same laws and standards?

Someone pinch me and wake me up! Something that bizarre could only happen in a dream!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The other day I heard something really interesting; that the missiles Israel possesses are actually outdated, and relatively inaccurate. That it possibly is Israel propping up their own numbers, and abilities to put fear into the eyes of other leaders who may not agree.

At first I thought, "yeah right", but thinking about it Israel has hyped other numbers; regarding military power. So, I wonder how much of a bluff they are?

S&F

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Western diplomats had expressed hope on Thursday that a vote could again be avoided after the meeting adopted a resolution calling for a Mideast free of nuclear weapons in a near-consensus vote. One hundred delegations voted for, with only Israel against and 14 abstentions.

Absolutely amazing! 100 nations including everyone of them in the region voted for the Middle East to be a nuclear free zone and Israel was the only one who voted against that????

Some one please pinch me, this is not just a bizarre dream it's a legitimate nightmare!

This is the Israel that knows attacking Iran will shut down the Persian Gulf and drive the price of Crude Oil to the point of collapsing the world economy and every other nation around them wants to have no nuclear weapons in the region but Israel insists on the right to keep it's own that it developed in violation of International Law????

Wow!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Well well well, times certainly do change don't they? I honestly would not have seen this coming. Don't really know what to say, actually, other than this really does show that the winds of change are blowing around the globe right now and it looks the the US and Israel may not have as much influence as they used to.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
The other day I heard something really interesting; that the missiles Israel possesses are actually outdated, and relatively inaccurate. That it possibly is Israel propping up their own numbers, and abilities to put fear into the eyes of other leaders who may not agree.

At first I thought, "yeah right", but thinking about it Israel has hyped other numbers; regarding military power. So, I wonder how much of a bluff they are?

S&F

I have long been under the impression Sancho that Israel's missiles are good enough to have ICBM's that can not only hit the United States but are aimed at the United States.

Of course that's just a rumor, like Israel having nuclear weapons at all is considered to be a rumor, since it's always refused to allow inspectors into it's atomic reactors.

I guess it's just having I and then r in your country's name that gets you sanctioned and condemned for not allowing inspectors in?

Maybe Iran should change it's name to Isan?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
All's fair in love and war.

If Iran can deny it's program so can Israel.
Visa Versa. ETC.

Yadda Yadda Blah Blah Blah. What are they going to do? Sanctions?

If the world can't get Iran to give up their nuclear ambitions do you honestly think Israel would give up their real nukes?

[edit on 18-9-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

I still think Israel was setup to be a Humpty Dumpty all along to create a scenario to lead to a take over of the entire Middle East by the Oil Companies.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Israel is only rumored to have nuclear weapons, just like Iran. We really don't know for sure in either case.

I just hope who ever does have nuclear weapons has the good sense to not use them unless we are invaded by Space Aliens or a Donnie and Marie Osmond reunion tour.

Still I would like to think we could work something out with the space aliens!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

"We are very pleased with the agreed approach reflected here today," U.S. Ambassador Glyn Davies said after the vote on establishing a nuclear weapons-free zone (NWFZ) in the Middle East.

link

And yet the good Ambassador abstained from the vote, and assured all that Washington was committed to the goal of Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction.

edit to add:correct link

[edit on 18-9-2009 by UmbraSumus]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

"We are very pleased with the agreed approach reflected here today," U.S. Ambassador Glyn Davies said after the vote on establishing a nuclear weapons-free zone (NWFZ) in the Middle East.

link

And yet the good Ambassador abstained from the vote, and assured all that Washington was committed to the goal of Middle East free of weapons of mass destruction.

I tell you something is really up here, it almost makes one wonder if Israel is really behind all this stuff with Iran or if we have been pressuring Israel behind the scenes to go after Iran and we are threatening to withhold support to Israel and backing it up until they launch a strike against Iran?

I honestly think this whole thing with Iran is about getting the Shah's son back on the throne over there.

This is wierd. I approve of it, but I can't believe after all these years we actually let this vote happen.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

They have a big bark

I thought the following would be of interest as it's never discussed really.

The demographics of Israel

The State of Israel had at the end of 2008 approximately 7,424,400 inhabitants.[1] About 76% of them were Jewish (about 5,604,900 inhabitants), about 20% were Arabs (About 1,502,400 inhabitants), while the remaining 4% (about 319,700 inhabitants) were family members of Jewish immigrants whom were not registered at the Interior Ministry as Jews, non-Arab Christians, non-arab Muslims and residents whom do not have a religious classification. The number of immigrants from the former Soviet Union(Jews and non-Jews) stands at about 916,100 inhabitants.

en.wikipedia.org...

7.4 million people, thats it?

lets compare that to NY city...

The demographics of New York City are evidence of a uniquely large and ethnically diverse metropolis. It is the largest city in the United States with a population defined by a long history of international immigration. New York City is home to more than 8 million people, accounting for about 40% of the population of New York State and a similar percentage of the New York metropolitan area, home to about 20 million.

en.wikipedia.org...

8 million in the city and 20 million in the metro area...

Kind of puts things into perspective size wise

[edit on 18-9-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Give me a break. The fricking UN couldn't find it's ass with both hands. Here you have Iran talking trash and busting it's balls to develop nuclear weapons. Then you have Israel, who has had nuclear weapons for several years and hasn't used them. Get real! This is just too funny. I just wish on 9-11 one of those planes would have gotten mixed up and slammed into to the UN building.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Give me a break. The fricking UN couldn't find it's ass with both hands. Here you have Iran talking trash and busting it's balls to develop nuclear weapons. Then you have Israel, who has had nuclear weapons for several years and hasn't used them. Get real! This is just too funny. I just wish on 9-11 one of those planes would have gotten mixed up and slammed into to the UN building.

Laugh out loud they probably both got mixed up and thought they were slamming into the U.N. Buildings.

In all fairness no one has really attacked Israel in a way that would invite a nuclear response since they were rumored to have nuclear weapons.

I would sleep better knowing NO ONE had nuclear weapons.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Here you have Iran talking trash and busting it's balls to develop nuclear weapons. Then you have Israel, who has had nuclear weapons for several years and hasn't used them. Get real!

Oh I see. So if Iran can show they've had nuclear weapons for years, that's no problem then. Do nuclear weapons have some kind of break in period? Like after 5 or 10 years they aren't dangerous to the security of the free world anymore? North Korea has had nuclear weapons since the start of the decade, does that mean they're no longer a threat?

[edit on 9/18/2009 by ZombieOctopus]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Thanks for the comparison warrenb, I didn't recognize You at first. I saw the avatar, but couldn't place it....
Congratulations on the new look

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Here you have Iran talking trash and busting it's balls to develop nuclear weapons. Then you have Israel, who has had nuclear weapons for several years and hasn't used them. Get real!

Oh I see. So if Iran can show they've had nuclear weapons for years, that's no problem then. Do nuclear weapons have some kind of break in period? Like after 5 or 10 years they aren't dangerous to the security of the free world anymore? North Korea has had nuclear weapons since the start of the decade, does that mean they're no longer a threat?

[edit on 9/18/2009 by ZombieOctopus]

Outstanding point friend and funny too. Obviously everyone would prefer because of the strategic importance of the region and it's oil supply that no one have nuclear weapons.

Maybe when the nukes finally do start flying if we covered ourselves with oil they wouldn't target us?

Seems like oil is a bit more important than human beings are these days!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The UN is useless anyway, so this isn't going to go anywhere, so stop dreaming and foaming at the mouth all of you anti-Israel folks!
Why should the inept UN suddenly become a superpower all of a sudden to satisfy your urges?!

We should aim for nuclear disarmament of the whole world anyway, and that includes the US and Israel as well as Iran! It's difficult, if not impossible to tell Israel to disarm when other countries are arming!

The intentions of a nuclear armed state also matter as well as the bombs themself, and Israel has a perfectly good case against Iran not to build nukes. Ahmadinejad claiming Israel will soon disappear, vanish etc, and even on their own presstv website was pretty aggressive towards them today. Forget the mis-translations, Ahmadinejad is still a muppet with a fake degree who doesn't represent the Iranian people. He doesn't even have any real power, he's put a puppet of Khamenei and his son - and their intentions are worse than his!

Also to mention the ridiculous presstv article claiming today's opposition protests were in favour of palestine!

[edit on 18-9-2009 by john124]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join