It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wear Your Firearm, And Exercise Your 2nd Amendment Right

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Screw carrying around guns.

We should all just start carrying swords! Maybe strap a katana or Conan type sword to your back. Get into a confrontation and then it's Highlander time!

By the time you've been dueling with someone on the street for awhile, you might forget why you even started fighting in the first place. Then you can stop, replace your katana, and be on your merry way.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Knowing the laws works wonders, and getting a concealed license in Texas is as easy as taking a safety course…

You can also have a gun in your car if you do it smart without a license. They sell locked boxes with a simple four button combo that meets the law to have a loaded gun in it and close to you. If you keep your ammo in the front and the gun in the trunk this works well too. To have a gun under your seat loaded is not good unless you are licensed…no brainer here to do it right.

For the vast majority that have guns, they have them for that one instance (maybe one in their whole life time) that they face a person who is willing to do anything to them, anything, and just maybe having a gun will prevent the worst. This would be a person you cannot talk to, reason with, or abide to their every demand to prevent a serious life threatening situation, and it is really not my life I’m worried about but that of my families'.

I would not hesitate to help another person in time of need either…..

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I can understand how some people would not be very keen on the idea of gun owners walking around in public strapped. Not everybody likes guns, and some people even find them scary.

Luckily many of us DO exercise our 2nd amendment on a daily basis simply by being a gun owner. I don't have any numbers here, but the actual statistics of gun owners who carry vs gun owners who leave it at home would HAVE to be quite telling, Your horrified reactions are mostly a GUT reaction, and not something that is all that logical when taking into consideration the kind of firepower that alot of really BAD people have.....and guess what, many of them WILL CARRY wherever they want to because they do not respect the law.
So go ahead and make your judgements, but you might really NEED a gun one of these days, and not have one at hand. And it's a HUGE misnomer to believe that alot of people blow each other away because an argument escalates and they happen to be strapped....sure, it happens sometimes, but you're talking about a bunch of people who are most likely NOT on the right side of the law in the vast majority of cases. (if you don't believe me, go dig around for some numbers, I haven't got the time nor inclination)
Law-abiding citizens who carry guns are, if anything, going to be alot more thoughtful when arguing with one another.

Lastly, i know it's been said a million times, but the truth of it rings clear:
Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Hi endisnighe!

I'm from the UK, and felt that I had to reply to your post, since I found its content to be somewhat misleading.

The article "Gun Controls Twisted Outcome" incorrectly refers to "...the English government..." There is no English government. It is the Government of the United Kingdom which is based in England.

Anyway, the article neatly side steps the fact that guns are used to kill and threaten people, by stating "...Except for murder and rape... Britain has overtaken the US for all major crimes."
Except for Murder and Rape?? like we can just "overlook" these two minor crimes? It's like saying "Apart from Death and Injury, car crashes are perfectly safe!"

If you look at the most recent statistics;

Source of Firearm Statistics

There are 9,369 firearm murders annually in the USA.
(That's the fourth biggest total in the entire world, behind such prime examples of civilised bon-homie as South Africa, Columbia and Thailand!)

In the UK there are 14.
I'll repeat that... In the UK there are 14.

Even when taken Per Capita;

USA has 0.0279271 murders per 1,000 people, and
UK has 0.00102579 per 1,000 people.

In other words, in the USA, you are over 27 times more likely to be murdered with a firearm than in the UK.

That is why I for one, feel safer from firearm related crime, in the UK than I would in the USA.

It is true, that the UK has other crime issues. And burglary is certainly one of them, and I absolutely agree, that burglary would be less likely to happen, if UK citizens were allowed to keep (and use) firearms, but the actual burglary rates are still acceptably low here, and I'd MUCH rather have slightly high burglary rates, than massively increased rates (27x) of firearm related murder.

I just thought that you might appreciate the actual view from this side of the Atlantic, rather than a biased and misleading US based articles' version of what it's actually like here?

peace,

G

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Gordi The Drummer]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gordi The Drummer

There are 9,369 firearm murders annually in the USA.
(That's the fourth biggest total in the entire world, behind such prime examples of civilised bon-homie as South Africa, Columbia and Thailand!)

How many of the 9300 are bad guys getting killed....

In the UK there are 14.
I'll repeat that... In the UK there are 14.

Even when taken Per Capita;

USA has 0.0279271 murders per 1,000 people, and
UK has 0.00102579 per 1,000 people.

Just maybe America is a much more violent place to live with or without guns. But then maybe not….

Violent Crime per 100,000

UK 2034 per 100,000
US 466 per 100,000
Canada 935 per 100,000
South Africa 1600 per 100,000

I think I'll just stay in America with my guns, thank you.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
i love my state, you see a scary looking guy carrying a big rifle threw down and you don't go "HOLY CRAP CALL THE POLICE" you go "WHOA THATS A 347WeatherB" then walk up to him and talk about his awesome rifle, haha.

no one in my town has ever been shot without reason (protection of family and property *still super rare*) and besides the minor petty theft we have no crime.

i personally think its all because guns and pot are legal here.

(mods i am not advocating drug use, just pointing out the laws of my state)

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

I appreciate Your kind words

Good luck to You m8

reply to post by radarloveguy

I want MY SHIRT!!!!

reply to post by mpriebe81

Detroit, or Phoenix....I like cold, but I also don't like being mugged
I would have to side with Phoenix choice. There is always the ability to create awareness. Maybe ya'll can stand up enough to reclaim Your Right.

reply to post by endisnighe

Wow, I say again, Wow! Thanks for the cool link. Things like that need to spread. I would think You have enough material with that, and general quick information for a thread.

reply to post by reasonable

I'm a what bag??
Only joking. Each to their own. It works wonders. I cannot disagree with anything You've said; I've seen the very People You speak of, but the People I'm talking about are usually not that way.

The People Your talking about wouldn't matter if it was a gun, or something else, they'd always be douche bags.

reply to post by Asherah

Townies, I like that. As another poster mentioned above, I believe the word was douche bags??? Admittedly I don't do it all the time, but I do it often. The townies as You call them are some of the most trained, and conditioned People of the society created by the Elite, that We live in. I do it more for the principal, and the shock value in waking the idiots up. They have People trained like animals to turn everyone, and their countrycousin in for absolutely nothing.

reply to post by kinda kurious

My family always had loaded firearms around. It was just the way things were done down South, and actually many places.

There's a ole' famous gun legend named Elmer kieth; he pioneered many facets of modern weaponry; including most magnum calibers, and adjustable sites on pistols...... He was a staunch supporter of keeping Your guns loaded. He thought it was the best way for safety.......... Flame away, but the man was a genius. Highly articulated, and educated...

brb.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I don't buy any guns through a registered dealer. Every gun I've bought is Person to Person.

More People should do that. My father had a gun store pre 1968, that's before the FFL since employed.

The 68 gun regulations/policies changed many other things, or were accompanied with laws that changed many Import/Export policies.

Up until then my father was able to order guns directly from factories across the World, and have them delivered to his door step; in turn he could sell them that day without a bunch of paper work.

He quit selling firearms because he had no taste for the increased regulations.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
WOW that is so awesome. Here in Canada if you have both the firearm on you and ammunition each shell is a year in jail. Only if you don't have your firearms licence. But you have to keep a trigger lock on it all times when your transporting. Thats only for long guns. Pistols even with the licence if its on you in you vehicle instant charges. Theyre tryi9ng to ban pistols here. The only good thing about canada is if in the event you do end up in a gunfight and you shoot the person below the belt its considered assualt with a deadly weapon. not attempted murder.

rofl i have my firearms licence. and i got pulled over onetime and they tried to take the .22 shells out of my car on the grounds that i only had my Possession only licence since i was 17 at the time. But they new they couldnt because i had my possession licence and i was possessing ammunition. Still wasted my time and poured a beer out=[. No charges though thank god +]

And my licence card was in the mail so i had no ID to show them thats basically why the above happened. Which made me feel great knowing i wasnt doing anything illegal and there still giving me a hard time. The werent even full fledge cops. They were PEACE OFficers. Basically a cop that gets paid less and does less work. I doubt they had the authority to arrest me on those charges they would have to call the REAL cops.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hi Sancho, and thanks for this thread. I will give it a S & F and share a few of my past experiences from the two states I have lived in; Colorado and Arizona.

I originate from the burbs between Denver and Boulder. I won't lie, I didn't go to a bad school district (it was still a state-run brainwashing indoctrination camp, but by no means "bad") or grow up in a bad neighborhood, and quite frankly witnessed (first hand) very little crime (especially violent crime). This is not to say none, but I got in very few fights, and was only seriously violently assaulted once (by a giant chain/paddelock).

In my youth I had a long list of issues with my parents, which was essentially bad parenting, and a free-thinking adolescent coming into manhood. Ultimately our problems combined with their bad parenting, led to them calling the police on me a number of times, as well as having me "committed" to a Psych hospital on a couple of occasions. I had repeatedly asked for them to give up power to the state, so that I could go live with a foster home, for many years....but they never would and continued to push more of their psychosis onto me.
During these early teenage years, on one occasion when my father called the police over and invited them in to assist him in his parenting....there was a misunderstanding regarding me holding a baseball bat for defensive purposes, and I was arrested and charged as a juvenile (was between 13 and 15 at the time) for "felony menacing with a weapon" or something.
This went on the "books" as an "adjudicated felony". I did my probation thing as a youth and was under the impression that all was good afterwards and it's like nothing ever even happened.
I have had no felonies since turning 18 and becoming an adult, so I do not ever admit to having any felonies on Job apps and such.

My family was I guess what you could call your standard run-of-the-mill democrat/liberals who did not believe in guns, and personally didn't own them. Not too surprisingly for CO, a lot of my childhood friends households were like this as well. I was given little to no exposure to firearms as a youth, which is sad.

After moving away from the folks and living on my own for a few years, I became very interested in owning one and becoming efficient with it for personal protection purposes. So when I turned 21, I went to my local pawn/gun store and purchased a semi-auto 9mm handgun. This was in 2004. I can tell you for sure that there were A LOT LESS questions on any of the ATF paperwork back then, and am not sure if they asked about previous psych hospitalization, but I'm sure I would have lied if they did.
Sure enough they ran me through NICS, didn't find that I had committed any felonies as and adult and approved me to purchase the handgun.

Over the last few years I have put thousands of rounds down range with my handgun, and gained valuable tactical skills while competing in timed competition at the local gun club.

I never bothered with trying to get a CCW because at the time, for me it was unnecessary and just giving more money to the state which I really didn't have.
But in the last 2 years I deemed it necessary that I have a rifle (.223 or comparable caliber), so I found one I could afford and attempted to purchase from a local Gun Store back in CO. This time round the paperwork seemed different. They asked questions like "Are you addicted to marijuana" (however no questions regarding alcohol abuse), "Have you been adjudicated of any felonies", "Have you ever been committed to a Psych hospital". This time round I was forced to lie, but low and behold the NICS check came back as DENIED. Keep in mind, I have not had any criminal offenses since turning 18 and I was approved on my NICS check in 2005 when I bought the 9mm.
Since CO had approved me for firearm purchase in 2005 but now changed the rules, I took this to mean that they had revoked my 2nd amendment rights.

All evidence points to Colorado enacting stricter gun laws and now denying anybody with a previously "adjudicated felony" even if it was on their juvenile record.

For me, this was the straw which broke the camels back, so I decided I would move. I had family in AZ, so that is the direction I headed.

Arizona if big Pro-Gun and Open-Carry so I fit in a little better on that note. I attempted to purchase this rifle when I moved here, and the first time they ran my name through NICS, they came back and said I was on a 7-day delay, and if they didn't receive a call back from the feds in the next 7-days regarding denial, then they could sell it to me. The FFL said that AZ does this when they really want to deny somebody, but don't exactly have the legal standing to do so.
Since I was trying to purchase this at a Gun Show from an FFL, and he wasn't able to make the sale on the spot it didn't work out that time.
In the last few months I finally found someone with this rifle online, had them ship it to an FFL here in AZ, paid the Transfer fee, waited another 7-Day delay period, and since AZ hasn't officially denied me.....FINALLY have a rifle of my own!

I would personally open carry, since I don't have a CCW; but after having my 2nd rights revoked in CO due to new legislation, I'm extra cautious and worry about police attempting to enforce some draconian gun grab, and confiscating it.

I find it funny how they single out Marijuana by name on the new ATF forms with that question "Are you addicted to marijuana?" They never used to.
In CO a couple months before I moved, I was caught with a little bit of pot, which in CO is no big deal. They normally take your stuff, and send you to court with a petty misdemeanor charge. It was like $120 bucks out the door, no worse than a loitering ticket. Goes on your record as 'petty misdemeanor'. In AZ that stuff is treated much worse. MJ laws in AZ are some of the strictest in the country. If caught with even the tiniest amount here in AZ your are immediately a Felon, and can no longer legally own firearms.

I think I began to ramble on a little ways back, so I will stop here.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man
i personally think its all because guns and pot are legal here.

(mods i am not advocating drug use, just pointing out the laws of my state)

I'll advocate pot any day; just like any intoxicant, it should be used responsibly. But there's no rational reason for it to be illegal (other than the fact that a bunch of control freaks currently run the country).

Marijuana is not a DRUG. It's a PLANT. It just GROWS like that. And if you happen to set it on fire, there are some EFFECTS.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

I don't buy any guns through a registered dealer. Every gun I've bought is Person to Person.

More People should do that. My father had a gun store pre 1968, that's before the FFL since employed.

I agree with this, and considering my issues in legally purchasing them thru FFL's, I will be going the P2P route with any future purchases.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
ROFL. the same day that they "tried" to bust me i had about half a gram of amazing pot on me and the cop told me he was bringing the dogs to search me. so i handed over the dope and he just laughed and said why did you give it to me its so small i cant even charge you. it was nice that i didnt get a charge. because if i did i would NEVER be able to travle to the US. Which i plan to do soon. See what all the fuss is about down there.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
And another thing is i don't understand the personal firearms purchasing Sh*T. someone explain this to me please. can you buy firearms from people you know or do they need a licence to sell them? Can a Canadian with no US citizenship buy firearms there? Just wondering because you guys have some freaking amazing hunting rifles that we cant get here. I kinda wanna get a sig sauer but there so damn expensive in the gun shops here. I really hope Heil Harper takes the gun registry out. Its just so much bull# to go through to get a gun. Waiting for 6-8weeks for the incompetent RCMP in Mirimachi and ottowa to approve me for my restricted firearms licence. thats for pistols and such. Another thing is here you cant have more then 3 rounds in ur centrefire rifle. which sucks when your first shot isnt a kill and the animal runs and you only got 2 more chance to hit a moving target to avoid it dieing painfully. but a rimfire can have as many as you want.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
To my knowledge, I can only legally do Person 2 Person private firearm sales to people with IN-STATE valid Arizona ID's. (I believe I am supposed to check for proper age as well, 18-long gun, 21-handgun)

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adam Kadmon
Its just dumb logic. You guys are arguring your right to carry a weapon that is designed to kill or injure people. I dont think the world would be a better place if everyone carried a gun.
*snip*

No, friend, you have it backwards. These weapons aren't designed to kill people, they're designed to save them.

The spirit which they are intended is that they are only used in the most dire of situations, when someone intends to do you grave harm. Situations where NOT using a gun will possibly result in your death. It's THAT moment we prepare for. The moment where a gun SAVES you or your loved one's life.

Peace, first, though.

Great post, Sancho, let me say I really enjoy your contributions here at ATS.

Wife and I just got our carry permits, and I have carried a couple times now. Technically we can open carry, but the wording of the law in our state says to carry in a manner that's least upsetting to others who might not be so accepting of the presence of a gun, so, it's pretty much concealed carry unless you're somewhere that you're sure everyone's cool with open carry.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
OH well that sucks. I could get a dual citizenship. the only reason i want to buy firearms in the us is because they are SO much cheaper. Once i get enough money im thinking about buying some bush property in Arizona. Its so freakin cold here that when i get old and my bones start to ache im going to a need a place to bask in the winter.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Who said they were loaded?

The loaded is my sidearm, of which I have a concealed permit, and is on my side. Anything else is is the case and the ammo is seperate. But it is in proximity to be used if I needed.

Recon3

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by Recon3

I sincerely hope and pray you exercise more diligence with with loaded guns(especially around your offspring) than you do at typing.

Regards.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
reply to post by VAPatriot

I have argued with policemen that open carry is better. It let's people know you are not to be trifled with, that you are prepared to defend yourself and those around you.
*snip*

Actually, we were taught differently in the NRA class I took for my handgun permit.
We were told that the person with the gun in plain sight, generally the police, is actually a higher priority target for a bad guy committing a crime due to the fact that the bad guy KNOWS you're the biggest threat to his own safety and if he's gonna shoot at anyone, he's gonna shoot at the guy he KNOWS has a gun. That's why they recommended us "civilians" to carry concealed.

Just sayin'...

[edit on 19-9-2009 by tjack]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I'm in Orygun. I open carry all the time. I have a concealed handgun license as well which I've always been torn over because how can the state license a right if it 's a right? I'm always armed though.

"The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness."

-Robert A. Heinlein

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join