It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Through the study of Biology how can you not believe in a higher form of power/control?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I just recently started studying biology, and I have notice all the amazing characteristics organisms have in this world. I ask any biologists on here do they believe in a higher form of power/control??? Everything is so unique it’s so hard to deny a form of creative energy. Whatever it might be how could it seem that all of this came from randomness

P.S to biologists how much math/calculus is involved in the field of biology???

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
well you can't graduate from college majoring in biology if you don't take a few basic physics and calculus courses.

I've heard it all before, you have to have a higher power to design life...not true. If there were truly some higher power involved in the creation of all life, why all the random genetic mistakes? Why bother creating life if it's going to be flawed and susceptible to disease?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Well, ATS have no 'life' right now, all graphics are gone....

But, you need to be brainwashed and come to the terms that every thing around us is noghting but Accidents and mean nothing, it is of no value, and every dead person is a good thing..... Uhmm..

Ofcourse some one has designed it, the fluke change of what you see around you isnt just all from a mud hole...

If the sun and the moon and the stars all crawled out of a mud whole then... uh wait. Hmm..
No, if every micro organism came from star dust, then there should be life on all other planets around in the univers, since ... uhhh, no wait, hmm, there are just earth that have intelligent life , such as US humans, we are the Major , the ultimate Lucky monkeys in the entire universe, cause we, we started in a boiling hot mud hole.....

Argh !!! This EVO thing is nonsense ... ID it is !!
DDD

Ps. a few beers too night ......

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Very good post! Here's some thoughts:

Thanks to the free Gutenberg Library online, I've recently had the opportunity to finally begin to get acquainted with the literature of classic philosophy. There's something I noticed right away; the people of old were not stupid. No, they didn't have the technology that we have, but I think they were better trained in the tools of the mind. They were taught to exercise their minds in critical, linear thinking, and to express their ideas in clear and rich language. These things are timeless and universal, and I think the skill of critical and disciplined thinking is something that's slipping away...

Okay, just because people in the ancient Greek days, or in the Renaissance or the 1800s didn't have all the scientific tools we have, it does not mean they were less intelligent than we are now. Most cultures believed, by logical deduction that there was a higher creator that set our universe in motion. Regardless of the deity or the belief system, most educated people deduced that there was a designer that intended us to come into being. Usually, for the purpose of us coming into some sort of purpose or relationship with said deity.

Also, it's also pretty obvious, that most classical thinkers realized it was logical by reason, that we do not live in a strictly materialistic universe. The infinite order of things indicated that there are other levels working on the psychological, and spiritual planes. Human beings are a composite of many different dynamics that are just as real as the physical, but cannot be measured with a ruler.

I think it is a conceit of our age, and a fad, that we have taken our limited scientific knowledge to declare that the universe is materialistic, meaningless and came into being somehow by accident.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

Well we will never know the secrets of life untill death most likely..... I think it could be a number of things. Without mutations we wouldn't be were we are today, and also who said this power/creative force couldn't just create the spark of life?? Encoded the information in the universe? (dark energy/dark matter possibly?) With all the dimensions, characteristcs of organisms, overall I see it so hard how life can be just be random?

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Maddogkull]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I dunno...man's ego thinking there is something that created him so he can rule.....hmmmmm

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
I just recently started studying biology, and I have notice all the amazing characteristics organisms have in this world. I ask any biologists on here do they believe in a higher form of power/control??? Everything is so unique it’s so hard to deny a form of creative energy. Whatever it might be how could it seem that all of this came from randomness

P.S to biologists how much math/calculus is involved in the field of biology???

Everything is so unique? Not really. There are a dozen or so groups, and nearly everything on this earth falls into one of them. All reptiles have shared features. Birds share features with reptiles. Fish share features with birds. And so on and so forth

Everything is amazingly similar, to be quite honest.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
The **universe** IS the ultimate intelligence, and infinite.

In the first line of my signature, science now knows that matter
IS conscious ! See [the double slit experiment] !

Blue skies.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well everything shares traits becasue of evolution, but the uniqueness of certain animals,plants,even protista, they are unique in there own category. By the way C-Jean what is the double-slit experiment?? Care to explain?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Well everything shares traits becasue of evolution, but the uniqueness of certain animals,plants,even protista, they are unique in there own category. By the way C-Jean what is the double-slit experiment?? Care to explain?

Tht's kind of my point. There is very little in this world that is truly unique.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Look at the Earth from millions of miles away, a mere dust speck in a sunbeam. We are nothing more than a film of muck on the surface of a grain of sand in the cosmos. I see nothing in biology that would indicate a higher power, it can be explained by natural processes. To think a speck in the cosmos not even the size of an atom in comparison wields the intervention of an almighty creator is delusional at best. Think bigger. Our own insignificance is as infinite as the Universe itself.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Think bigger. Our own insignificance is as infinite as the Universe itself.

Do you have children? Is that how you feel about them?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable
Look at the Earth from millions of miles away, a mere dust speck in a sunbeam. We are nothing more than a film of muck on the surface of a grain of sand in the cosmos. I see nothing in biology that would indicate a higher power, it can be explained by natural processes. To think a speck in the cosmos not even the size of an atom in comparison wields the intervention of an almighty creator is delusional at best. Think bigger. Our own insignificance is as infinite as the Universe itself.

Size has nothing to do with how significant or not something is, that's a very human perception of things.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I would assume that it's only perfectly worked out becuase the conditiones, and timeing allow it. As an example growing mold, it will only grow under certain conditions. Were all just in a perfect 'climate' to grow and have everything work out like that.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by warza
Think bigger. Our own insignificance is as infinite as the Universe itself.

Do you have children? Is that how you feel about them?

Exactly, if your child was the size of a molecule, would he'she not be significant to you anymore?

The universe is HUGE, and we are all part of the universe, we are the universe! and that is amazing to me.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Right on, biology amazes me.

Biology is not a 100%-complete science, obviously. I have seen work by MIT's materials physicist Dr. William Tiller and research by a tenured biologist who has YouTube videos titled "The Biology of Perception" (unfortunately his name escapes me), and it is very recent work, and it points directly to the fact that awareness and consciousness are in fact the very mechanisms that drive our body. And they are the exact opposite of a mechanical function; they evolve over time and are even intelligent (and give rise to our apparent intelligence within our brain).

Dr. Tiller notes in one of his books how biology started with studying the organs. Then we realized organs work using chemicals. Then we realized the chemicals are only doing structural electromagnetic work, and that we effect the body without needing chemicals, using light electrical shocks instead (cell self-reparation can be stimulated in this way). Now Dr. Tiller himself has done research indicating that when we draw awareness, conscious attention, to a part of our body, we are bringing something very real to that part of our body, and it affects us physically. Specifically it triggers natural electromagnetic effects in our bodies, and so can stimulate the same self-healing, etc.

posted on Sep, 28 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Now where does the structual electromagnetic work comes from.
???

Perhaps theres even a smaller scale?

top topics

join