It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS tracking for your kids

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
And so it starts. We just want you to know where your kids are. We just want them to be safe.

Cute lime green watches that can keep track of your kids. What will be next?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

'Tis a slippery slope folks. Thoughts?

I really would like to hear from people who think this is a good idea.
Anyone?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As a mother, I can honestly say that there is *perhaps* good intention behind this invention. Any responsible parent would love to know where their kids are at all times.. and to have the chance to protect them from any dangers in the world.

But.. of course.. this isn't fool-proof and can easily be removed or placed on someone else.

I wouldn't personally buy one.. but thumbs up
for trying.

(Just a mother's perspective.. not even touching on the deeper aspects of such an invention).

- Mea

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas Lux Mea

As a father, I had to pause for a second as well. But I tend to use the old-fashioned method of watching my kids.

I spend time with them.

I don't sit at my desk and track their movements. Just me, but maybe I'm just old school.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I can see the use for this as your kids become Teenagers and are still little. Who wants some sicko Kidnapping your kids and raping them, and evening murdering them? As my little girls get older I may perhaps get them one for that purpose of a kidnap/rap peace of mind.

It really is a murky touchy subject, ya know.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

If it were only used for the right reasons, then I'd want it. But what's to stop people (government) from using it for the wrong reasons? My biggest fear, would be that someone would strap it onto the bumper of a car, and disappear.

In this case, I think that technology has outpaced morality.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is a great idea! They should make a whole line of wearable items for children that incorporate this technology. It's inconspicuous! Thus, kidnappers are less likely to ascertain if the child is being "tracked", thus less likely to abduct. In the event an abduction takes place, the parents, and more importantly, law enforcement agencies will be able to track and find victims...hopefully before any real harm is done.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

That sort of assumes the kidnapper/murderer isn't so stupid as to not know this giant lime-green rubber thing strapped to the kids wrist is what it is.

Maybe if it were more subtle in design and wasnt being broadcast all over the news wire.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This is a GREAT idea - I need one for my kids and my goats - those goats roam EVERYWHERE.

Now it would be a BETTER idea if it were a tad bit smaller and less ....ummm....NEON GREEN.

Maybe thet should shrink it a bit and make it a necklace . no that may fall off.

They could make it into a set of earrings - but then the power supply may be limited by size.

How about making int oa set of contact lenses - no the circuits would obstruct your vision.

Wait - I know - they could make into a small diode sized "chip" and these "chips" could be implanted just under the skin of my children and my goats - wait -WHAT? They do? Nevermind. Sign me up...and my children....and my goats!

Dorian Soran

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

If you are watching your kids in the first place. . . .

Really, whats the difference between this and an RFID "chip?"

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
As a mother I have no issue with this. Things can happen whether on accident or on purpose. It is unrealistic for any parent to say: I watch my kids 24/7. Unless you literally never let them out of your site for school, bathroom breaks, shower, work and so on.

There are crazy people out there who prey on children and look for any and all opportunity to snatch them up.

I can not even take my daughter in public without having people stop us and say "oh she is so beautiful" etc etc. Even creepy men have said it....and they stand there and just watch her.

At what point do you let your child leave your sight and go ride their bike? I remember in elementary school, a child who was walking to school was kidnapped never to be seen again. It happens ALL the time: IE Duggan girl.

I understand the paranoia people have with the government - but for me, I fear the unidentified sickos that walk amongst me much more than the government!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

What's to stop police from using it, tracking people. When would they say, hmmm . . . how did you vote/speak/pay your bill/dress/walk/age

and it's still a good idea.

link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus

Mike: Are you going to be going outside to play with your kids and the neighborhood kids when they are 12, 13, 14, 15? Are you going to follow them on their bike or on their way to school (if you do not take them).

It is impossible for you to watch them 24/7. At some point you have to give them a bit of freedom and let them go play outside without having mom and dad breathing down their neck. At this point - anything can happen.

link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

*ding*

Well said.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

As a dad, I really had to think about it as well. To be honest, I trust my son more than I trust my senator. And my kid is 6.

As a technology, it's a good idea. It's application though, has me concerned.

What's to stop a paedo from using this technology as well?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

I know.And that scares the heck out of me. It's not the potential USE that bothers me as much as the potential MISUSE.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

As a dad, I really had to think about it as well. To be honest, I trust my son more than I trust my senator. And my kid is 6.

As a technology, it's a good idea. It's application though, has me concerned.

What's to stop a paedo from using this technology as well?

I hope to trust my daughter too (she is only 5 right now) and the only time she is out of my site is if she is at school or with her father. Other than that - I do not even let her go in the fenced backyard without me. Im actually very protective of her. But at some point I have to let her go outside by herself and my biggest fear is not even her falling down and getting hurt - but someone snatching her. The whole Duggan story really freaked me out. None of that was her fault or her parents fault. It just happens

How would a pedo use it thoughg? They would have to somehow get the GPS info on the child in order to track the child down. Too much work I would think. Easier for them to just stalk and snatch.

Also, the watch, though ugly, looks just like any other ugly kids watch out there - and there is a lot of ugly stuff out there for kids. It does not stand out IMO.

Again, I understand the fears of some. But the fear and reality of a kid being taken and never found again is just as high.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Yeah, parents should be aware of where their kids are, but parents can't watch all the time. Kids play outside, walk to from school/bus stops. Children get abducted in supermarkets, malls, etc...

How is it different that an RFID chip? I'm assuming you mean an implant, correct? well, it's pretty obvious. It's a wearable not an implant. It's at the parents choosing, not the governments. It allows the parent to track the child, not the government. It's an option of safeguard!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

What's to stop police from using it, tracking people. When would they say, hmmm . . . how did you vote/speak/pay your bill/dress/walk/age

Why would the police want to track a bunch of kids? Since when do kids vote, Pay bills, etc.?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Well, as it is you could stop all that simply by not putting the thing on.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This is already old news, as far as the technology goes. It is being used as a stepping-stone to what is currently the heavy focus of R&D:

The combination RF/Biometric/GPS Implant.

This technology will become mainstream sooner than later. It will allow you to find your children at any time, and once it is activated by law enforcement, it can read and relay any nearby implants. This gives a strong incentive to pass laws to get the general population chipped, it would be very useful indeed if missing children were broadcasting the personal information and location of themselves and any nearby children or adults.

The biometric aspect of this chip also works in combination with the GPS technology to instantly detect a plethora of health problems and issue an emergency alert.

If these aren't extremely strong selling points for implants, I don't know what will be.

If they can prevent or eliminate a huge number of diseases and medical conditions, that will get it done even faster. Once the majority are on board, it doesn't matter if you want it or not.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join