It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPods. Whose got em, and what do you think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My mp3 CD and CD player just recently suffered a major fall onto concrete, and is no more. I have a very broad taste of music, and also spasmodically change from genre to song to artist when listening, so I though that something such as an iPod would be excellent for me.

My problem: What iPod to get?

The iPod mini can hold 1,000 songs, and is the cheapest of the bunch, at $249. At 3,700 songs is the regular iPod, and costs $299. The most expensive that I would even consider is the 20 GB iPod (5,000 songs which costs $399, and comes with all the accessories (Remote, Dock, and charger)

I'm a paperboy, and play music for money, so I'm not very open for "Go for the Gusto". I want to be able to hold a decent library that I can constantly listen to, without changing a whole lot, and add songs every time I buy a new CD.

Links to compare them:
(Regular iPods): store.apple.com...
(iPod mini): store.apple.com...

Any suggestions?

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
not worth it look for a cheaper alternative to an ipod man i think there a load of #e and not worth the cash and sony do good cd players i bought one for �140 top end of their range camre with cd editin software aswell light compact easy to use

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   
hey, i dont have an Ipod, but, i wouldnt really want one, what is it, 40gigs of space
that seems a little useless to me. i have a minidisc, one cd holds 320minutes of music, and i dont even use all of it, they are also around 150$ now, so, id say get a Minidisc

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The reason that I'm looking at an iPod or an mp3 and not minidisc is because all my music is on the computer (when I buy a new CD, I copy it to the computer right away). I don't like the hassle of burning cds, so the mp3 transfer directly into a massive library is appealing.

The iPod I was leaning towards was the mini or the 15 GB one. I don't need to have 10,000 songs! If anyone can find a good mp3 player with about 8-10 GB of space, let me know via u2u.

---EDIT----

I was searching mediaplay for good mp3 players, to save money from the $300 15GB iPod, and came across this:
www.nomadworld.com...

It has 40 GB, costs $300, supports everything (mp3, wma, wav). Has good transfer rate and everything (2.4 mbps).

Feedback?

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by TallShaffer]

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I heard that they had a battery problem with the iPods, did they fixed that yet? Also, it's not entirely skip-free, supposedly, as this thing use some kind of hardisk.

My collegues at work both have MP3 players (RCA I think?) that uses SecureDigital flash-memory stick. Those one you can really use to run, dance, etc, whatever, without any skipping, They're really cool, and they're way smaller than the iPods. One of them is like 2 1/2 or 3 inches long, and approx. 2 large.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
We got one for my mom and she really likes it...I originally hated ipods just because they're made by apple, and for different reasons not liking Apple products at all...but the ipod seems quite good, it has a lot of features and should be easy to use. If you're getting an ipod I would just go for the regular 15gb model, that should be plenty for most people and they have more features than the mini ones.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
If you take a look at that "nomad" jukebox, you'll see why I'm leaning towards that. Yes, it's much larger than many mp3 players, but is has a lot of space (can even store word documents and such for transfer, kinda like a massive floppy disk, that's the size of a hard drive). Also, it seems to have good quality sound, and is the same price as the cheapest iPod (regular, not mini).

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have an iPod. Its one of the best inventions ive seen in a long time. ITs the best. If you want soemthing with that much space there is no other alternative but iPod. It is the king of massive mp3 players.

I have a 3g 20gb ipod and i love it. I have about 1,500 songs on it now and thats my entire cd collection.

They are teh koolest looking, easiest to use, and has the best software (iTunes)

Go to iPod Lounge and look in their forums under the classified section and u can find soem good deals. There is currently a 20gig one selling for $340.

mini iPods are hard to get. There is a 1 month waiting list

feel free to u2u me and ask me whatever u want.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I like that nomad mp3 player, because it has 60 GB. Also, the transfer for songs is 1 song per second (approx.). Also, it's more in my price range ($300 for the 60 GB version, about 250 for the 20 GB one), and I could use the non-music file storage as well. I'm going to go get that one once I can find all of my media play gift certificates

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I have an IRiver (don't know the model name), but it's 256 MGB, it's not that much, but it's well worth the money compared to an Ipod. Oh yeah, the manual says that it can hold up to 1,500 songs but does not say how long the average song should be so, I have about 4 albums and I deleted a lot of the songs off of it, so I could record off of the radio.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I'm pondering on buying an ipod currently also. I've only got a USB 1.1 port though, and for various reasons (mainly it's my mothers pc, and she won't have one mess with it!) I can't upgrade to a firewire or 2.0...I can still use an ipod, but apparently it's alot slower, anyone know HOW slow exactly? I heard that it's bad for the ipod to run for too long because it gets too warm etc.
I'd get a mini one, I mean, I really can't see me needing 10,000 songs!!

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I have a 3g 40gb iPod. I absolutely love it. It is sturdy, cool and most importantly, sounds good.

I have dropped it twice onto concrete and it still works just fine.

To have most of my 3000+ cd collection with me at all times is a godsend. I used to travel with a bulky CD booklet with 200 CDs in it..... not any more!

You can also use the iPod as an external hard drive.

The only downside is that the battery has to be replaced eventually.

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:22 PM
link   
How much are the new batteries?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TallShaffer
How much are the new batteries?

I have heard that there are generic replacement kits that go for around $50 US and that Apple charges about $100 US to replace the battery. As my iPod is still fairly new, I have not done any real checking into the actual numbers though.

Cannonball? As in Cannonball Adderly? Or is it a store name?

posted on Jun, 3 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Here is a link to a replacement-kit review. It is from last year though. But I figure that the prices could not have risen much since then.

Here:
iPod Battery Kit

Hope this helps
~FAce

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
So did you get one??????

iPods Rule

I found an ipod buddy go facefirst

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Question for iPod owner: have you tried to listen to hit while you were activly moving ? (ie.: running, dancing, etc...)

I heard it isn't really skip free, because is uses discs.

new topics

top topics

join