It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Votes to Strip Funding for ACORN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I am really surprised the house decided to strip ACORN of funding. The Senate approved de-funding then a few days back.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now it seems it will be up to Obama on whether to sign the bill or not.

What will Obama do?

Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, suggested the vote is essentially symbolic because the student aid bill did not actually provide any funding to ACORN.

However, the language refers to all federal contracts so it applies to any federal money.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who introduced the "motion to recommit" attached to the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2009, said the decision followed a Senate vote on Monday to strip housing funds for ACORN and the Census Bureau's decision last week to cut ties to the group.

"The battle, however, to deny ACORN federal funding is not over until the president signs the bill into law.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
We'll see if it holds up. The defunding doesn't pack the same punch hidden in a bill to nationalize student loans as it would standing on its own, but at least it was done.

Let's just see what happens next.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

???

Good question - I will bet he will place his finger up in the breeze and sign it.

what do you reckon Jam?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

You know, if those videos had not come out ACORN would still be on the give me list.

I really don't see no difference in the corruption we see with ACORN and the corruption we see with our government. I really think an organization like ACORN is capable of helping America, but its leadership has been at fault for allowing such corruption to grow within the organization. Much in the same that our government leaders have allowed corruption to grow within the government.

Yes, I think Obama will throw ACORN under the bus. But in reality ACORN is a merely a mini-me. The real ACORN(our government) continues to thrive.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by mental modulator

You know, if those videos had not come out ACORN would still be on the give me list.

I really don't see no difference in the corruption we see with ACORN and the corruption we see with our government. I really think an organization like ACORN is capable of helping America, but its leadership has been at fault for allowing such corruption to grow within the organization. Much in the same that our government leaders have allowed corruption to grow within the government.

Yes, I think Obama will throw ACORN under the bus. But in reality ACORN is a merely a mini-me. The real ACORN(our government) continues to thrive.

Ya I tend to agree...

I wonder what the extent corruption is on the ground level - are we seeing the norm
or rare cases? ( kinda like police brutality, but not )

It is too bad they couldn't keep their hands clean considering their position and ability to be useful.

Off with their head

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
corruption on the ground level is good to root out. What's got me intrigued is there are apparently more videos that haven't been released yet and the videos seem to get incrementally worse with each release. It makes me wonder what we will find in the bigger picture here once everything is released. A lot of people seem to be running scared at the moment and the silence from certain establishments is down right deafening.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Does it include all 300 business that are run out of that funeral home they call a base?
Or just the main nuts?
Obama will do like does with others, he will publicly condemn them and find a way to get them the money still.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
sooooo

what do we do about the bailout money they got. i suppose we could demand it back. otherwise our taxpayer dollars are provably being used to fund illegal activities beyond a shadow of a doubt on this one...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
My wife and I have some experience with ACORN. When we joined it seemed like a good thing to do. Hell, I was an activist in college why not get off the sidelines again and make something happen. My wife worked as a voter registrant.

The we got to see some of the street activism down in Nashville when they took van loads of poor people from as far away as Columbus Ohio down to Tennessee to protest during some kind of paint convention at Opryland.
It got both my wife and myself asking some serious questions. Not the least of which was where was all the money coming from to move this many people from that far away in all brand new shiny white vans.

The other troubling thing was that none of the bussed in protesters had any idea why they were doing what they were doing. All they knew was that they were going down to protest during a paint convention.

When the protesters were deployed it was obvious that this operation wasn't being run by amateurs. They knew exactly where to place people throughout the hotel to make a really big scene and they had the local media waiting on them when they got there.

It spooked the hell out of me to be truthful. I'm former military and it had the feel of a military drill. Not at all what I expected ACORN to be.

Where their money came from was another problem with me. The name Soros came up and that's when we decided to head for the door.

People may argue and are welcome to do so but if I were asked to compare the organization to another most like it I'd have to pick Hitlers brown shirts. They were the unofficial thugs and intimidation arm of the Nazi party as it rose to power. ACORN has the same feel.

There's also something I'd like to know about all of this. The FBI infiltrates and spies on every friggin organization that comes along from the Campfire Girls and above- how did they miss ACORN?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CmdrZero

The FBI infiltrates and spies on every friggin organization that comes along from the Campfire Girls and above- how did they miss ACORN?

Very interesting question you raise.

Would be interesting to see what the FBI response would be to such question?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hasn't the Attorney General or Gov. of Louisiana ordered an investigation of Wade Rathke, the guy that started Acorn? Though I heard that, but can't find anything about it when I ran a search. Maybe just wishful thinking!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by inthesticks
Hasn't the Attorney General or Gov. of Louisiana ordered an investigation of Wade Rathke, the guy that started Acorn? Though I heard that, but can't find anything about it when I ran a search. Maybe just wishful thinking!

The live in New Orleans, but I think the investigation was originated elsewhere.

Here's a NYT article on it www.nytimes.com...

here's a late 2008 article Patrick Fitzgerald is heading RICO investigation of ACORN and BHO campaign

and, Here's how many previous investigations turned out

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CmdrZero

Thanks for the street level observation on these guys. That was an eye opener and confirmed some suspicions that i have had for a bit of time.

On the question of the FBI, well yeah you know they have guys in there, but one thing we have to remember is the FBI is heavily involved in Homeland Security now so the manpower for matters civil/financial is lacking to say the least. Though depending on what they find, it could easily be moved to DHS' jurisdiction. Any reasoning we have to why the FBI hasn't acted is pure speculation at this point.

The New Orlean's investigation: subpenas were issued last month by the state of Louisiana. Here's the link on BigGovernment's site with the full pdf versions:
biggovernment.com...

How any of these investigations will turn out though remains to be seen. Just a matter of how far up the ladder this may go and who throws whom under the bus. My theory though is the bus' wheels may be 20 feet off the ground when this all said and done.

new topics

top topics

join