It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Sniper set for Execution on November 10th, 2009

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

The picture with the so called hole above the trunk has a tire butted up next to it. I question if that is possible to shoot with this tire where it is. Or even having a spare tire in the trunk at all!

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Alchemst7]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

double post

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Alchemst7]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Alchemst7

Yeah, it looks possible, but I'd venture to say it'd get a tad uncomfortable after a while; it looks like it'd be even easier if you were using the little 10-round mags (less to catch on against the tire, if he was indeed firing over it).

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
smoke and flame ??????????????? WTF ?????????????
- how did you form the opinion that a 5.56MM discharge produces an unmissable gout of smoke and flames

From my experience firing the M16 while in the service.

Even if he had made a shot from the trunk, the risk of some citizen noting the license plate of the car would have too great. And a missing rear seat would have been hard to explain.

A much better platform for firing from a vehicle would have been a van. Just open the rear window. Whatever happened to that white van they were all looking for?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7

Las week I was asking my wife what ever happened to the DC sniper. I've been wondering if we would ever hear about him again. I remeber his killings and how it brought alot of fear to people on the East coast. And his timing was odd, 9/11 then the Anthrax scare, and then the DC sniper. I've always wondered if it was part of a political agenda to establish more gun control. His story never made since to me...Does anyone have any theories for his actions??

law.rightpundits.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I remember the case too. It turned out that his ex-wife had moved out there and he had located her. He had abducted their children before. His plan apparently was to kill her during the spree and it would look like it was just random like the others. Then he'd get his kids back. They had detailed it in one of the movies they had out about it. It almost worked too.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure the tire wasn't bolted down, so could have been moved for the shootings.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

People were in a panic. I can't magine anyone who heard a shot would look around noting license plates. People were even walking in zig zags to cross teh street, and were staying in their cars while getting gas.

As people cowered between gas pumps and their cars, kept their children indoors and hurried across parking lots in a zig-zag pattern meant to dodge a high-powered sight, religious leaders were contemplating how best to help people deal with their fear.

link

Who said the rear seats were missing? They folded down.

WASHINGTON (CNN) --After a 22-day waking nightmare that saw a deadly sniper turn the gas stations and shopping malls of the suburban landscape into his own private killing field, D.C.-area residents will sleep soundly again tonight.

What began with a bullet through a Maryland craft store window and escalated into the largest manhunt the Washington area has ever seen, apparently came to a successful conclusion in the early hours of Thursday morning when a Gulf War veteran and his Jamaican teenage companion were found asleep in a car at a rest stop on Interstate 70 west of Frederick, Maryland, and taken into custody.

So far, neither man faces charges in connection with the sniper killings, but authorities seem satisfied they have captured the men responsible, sources say.

The suspects were identified as John Allen Muhammad, 41, and 17-year-old John Lee Malvo, a Jamaican citizen. They were sleeping in a blue 1990 Chevy Caprice, the car police sought in the sniper probe, officials said.

The trail that led investigators to the rest area parking lot began with a boast about a previous killing and took investigators across the United States before the two men were taken into custody without incident, according to officials.

The biggest break came when the sniper himself called the task force hotline last Thursday, boasting about killing before and telling police to take a look at an unsolved murder case in Montgomery, law enforcement sources told CNN.

But the sniper was talking about a shooting in the capital of Alabama, not Montgomery County, Maryland, where many of the Washington-area shootings occurred. The next night, investigators got a call from a priest who said he had received a phone call from a man boasting of a killing in Montgomery, Alabama, weeks before, the sources said.

Sniper investigators contacted Montgomery, Alabama, police authorities October 20 and described the incident.

The Alabama officers linked the sniper suspects to a shooting incident on September 21, which left one woman dead and another injured after a hold-up outside an ABC Beverages liquor store.

After that shooting, a suspect was chased on foot by police who came within a few feet of them before they escaped.

But investigators did find a fingerprint at the scene.

The investigation kicked into high gear:

The fingerprint from the shooting in Alabama was tracked to Malvo through his fingerprint records with the Immigration and Naturalization Services.

Authorities then learned Malvo had a relationship with Muhammad, a Gulf War Army veteran recognized as an expert marksman. One law enforcement source said Muhammad is believed to be the boyfriend of Malvo's mother.

Malvo became known to the INS in Tacoma, Washington, from an incident in December 2001 involving his mother and himself. His photograph was also contained in the INS records, and passed on to task force investigators.

The Malvo fingerprint, photograph and his relationship with Muhammad were major breaks in the case.

"We started running with it at that point," a senior law enforcement source said. "We were excited that at that point, we had an identity to look for -- something tangible for the first time."

The U.S. Marshals -- part of the sniper task force -- found another stunning detail: Muhammad had been stopped in northwest Baltimore on October 8, one day after the sniper critically wounded a 13-year-old boy outside a middle school. The vehicle he was in was a 1990 Chevy Caprice with New Jersey tags.

Muhammad was sleeping in the car at the time, and was the only one in the vehicle. The Baltimore police officer, described as a 25-year veteran, questioned Muhammad and grew curious because the man's driver's license was from Washington state and the vehicle tag was from New Jersey. Because there were no arrest warrants out for Muhammad at the time, the officer could only tell him to leave.

But the incident was logged into police records -- giving task force investigators more information on the potential suspects.

"That was the key, because up to that point everyone was looking for vehicles that didn't exist," the senior law enforcement source said of the Baltimore traffic incident.

With momentum in the case building, authorities now had Muhammad in a vehicle in the general vicinity of the shootings, and intelligence gathered in the case traced phone calls from the believed sniper to pay phones around Ashland, Virginia, the town where the sniper wounded a man outside the Ponderosa steakhouse Saturday.

Intelligence also put Malvo in the Ashland area beginning late Friday and leaving Sunday morning, several hours after the Ponderosa shooting, the senior source said.

By Wednesday, the Marshals connected Muhammad to the 1990 Caprice with New Jersey license plate NDA 21Z as a result of the Baltimore stop, and the noose was tightening on the suspects. The license plate and vehicle description was released to the news media.

Later Wednesday, Montgomery County, Maryland Police Chief Charles Moose, the lead investigator in the case, announced Muhammad might have information related to the sniper investigation and said an arrest warrant had been issued for unrelated firearms violations.

Truck driver Ron Lantz recognized the car as that being sought in the sniper case and notified police, who relayed the tip to the sniper task force, which immediately dispatched officers to the scene some 50 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., where the arrests were made.

Authorities examining the car discovered a Bushmaster rifle, a scope, a tripod and a "sniper's perch" in the trunk, sources said.

One senior law enforcement source called the Caprice a "killing machine" with two holes in the trunk, one for the rifle, the other for the scope, a senior law enforcement told CNN.

The two holes were there so that shots could be fired without opening the trunk, this source said, adding that the back seat could fold down, enabling a potential shooter to stretch out in the back without stepping foot outside.

The source called it a "perfect place" for a shooting platform.

Tests by the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms linked the weapon to all but three of the sniper shootings .

link

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
''Tests by the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms linked the weapon to all but three of the sniper shootings.''

There was another weapon? What happened to it?

Did they ever come up with a motive?

I came across this about John Lee Malvo--
"A particular influence on Malvo was the film The Matrix. Malvo watched the movie hundreds of times, including just before the shooting of Franklin."
"Malvo was especially taken with the world view of The Matrix and saw himself as Neo, the film's hero, who shoots his way out of an oppressive world. Malvo saw that as his mission."

Which is interesting, as he is not the first whack shooter to have been fixated on that image--

4-20-99
Columbine High School
Josh Nielsen, a 17-year-old junior, said the attack reminded him of a violent scene in Keanu Reeves' latest movie. "One of the guys pulled open his trench coat and started shooting," he said. "It was a scene right out of the movie 'Matrix.' "
"...The most recent movie fixation of Harris and Klebold was focused on the 1999 Hollywood release Matrix..."

------------------

2-17-03
Josh Cooke, 19
Josh Cooke, from Oakton, Virginia(just south of D.C.), owned a trenchcoat like the one worn by Neo, and kept a poster of his hero on his bedroom wall. Then he bought a gun similar to the one used by Neo to fight evil. He shot his father and mother in the basement of their home and then called the police. His lawyers say he believed that he was living inside the Matrix. "I just kinda looked over at my `Matrix' poster," he says, "and then I looked over at my gun."

-----------------------

7-7-03
Oaklyn Public School, Camden, NJ
Matthew Lovett, 18, +two boys, ages 15 and 14; wearing black trenchcoats, arrested after they attempted to carjack vehicle; on their way to attack school with numerous weapons.
They became known as the "Matrix Teens."
--Lovett imagined an almost supernatural aura around himself, sometimes referring to himself as the "Mystic", the "One" or "Neo", friends said. The One and Neo are names for Keanu Reeves’ character in the Matrix films.
"They kind of had that Matrix thing going on," said Anthony Tesman, 16, of Oaklyn, of the suspects. "They would wear black glasses and slick their hair back."

-----------------

5-11-06
Hans Van Themsche, 18, wearing a black trenchcoat, shot 3 people on an Antwerp street. "It looked just like the man had stepped out of the film 'The Matrix'."

-----------------

11-20-06
ex-student Sebastain Bosse, 18, Geschwister Scholl School, Emdetten, Germany (1 dead, 5 wounded) Fellow students called him "Matrix-Man."

And in just about NONE of these shootings had any kind of believable motive. Was Malvo a Manchurian Candidate?

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That is interesting.

I wonder which of the three were not linked to the weapons.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Killing him wont bring anyone back, and wont deter any future snipers, so its completely pointless from that point of view.

But from a human revenge/justice point of view, it makes sense with "eye for an eye" somehow, as long as we dont pretend its for another purpose.

[edit on 23-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Could November 10th be a symbolic date to Washington D.C. ? Any thoughts other than oh s**+, here we go again, another doom date..

posted on Oct, 25 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Awesome, I was 1 block away from the gas station where that #er gunned down someone in Virginia. I was planning on getting gas there that evening, could of been me. Let the #ers fry!

posted on Nov, 8 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
the Discovery channel is going to air a show called, "the Washington Sniper" tomorrow (9/11/09 and 10/11/09) before the execution. 2 days left!!

Discovery Channel

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
John Allen Muhammad died last night at 9:11pm est time. Maybe alot of people can be at peace now that he's gone and carry on with life..

Execution met with grief bitterness

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

9:11?
thats a crazy time for an execution.
coincidence?
i dont believe in coincidences personally and i dont know if theres anything to it.
Its just bizarre i guess.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join