It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happiness Should Be Used As Economic Indicator, French President Sarkozy Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Paris (AP) - France plans to include happiness and well-being in its measurements of economic progress, French President Nicolas Sarkozy said Monday, beckoning other countries to join in a "revolution" in the way growth is tracked after the global economic crisis.

www.cnsnews.com...

Couldn't quite believe this when I heard it. How do you track happiness and well being?
And would it be open to abuse if a government found that it's citizens weren't happy and
therefore dragging their economic progress indicators down?

Forced taking of "happy pills" maybe?

Funny the timing of this , when just the other day we heard about how scientists were working on a new drug to wipe bad memories and increase peoples happiness and well being.

The part I find the funniest was this .....

The report recommends looking at household income, consumption and wealth rather than production in the economy as a whole for a better reflection of material living standards. Non-market activities such as house cleaning should also be tracked, it says.

Well I don't know about you, but I find house cleaning a pretty depressing chore, so I don't see how that is going to up the happiness factor.

What do you think?

**** Mods if this isn't in the right forum, please move. Wasn't sure where to post it. Thanks *******

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Flighty]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Unbelievable garbage, has Sarkozy been on the happy pills!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Good one.

I have images of happy pills being dispensed from snack machines and ads on TV reminding people to take their pills and do their bit for their country.

Its stories like this that make me really wonder if politicians haven't lost their minds.

join