It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women fail but they don't lose!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
[edit on 23-9-2009 by shamhat]

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SpiritoftheNightSky

I agree with this whole-heartedly. Growing up, I felt like I was raised like a son (tho I'm a girl, and was always given girl things--kitchen sets, baby dolls, etc)....and constantly reminded by my Mother that "education and a good job are everything". I started working the second I was old enough....and still feel like a bread-winner. I watched my parents live paycheck-to-paycheck from day one, just to have my dad bail after getting bored. I understand Mom's rationale here, she wanted me to be able to support myself...to not have to depend on any man in order to get by.

But I'm (now) noticing some inadverdant drawbacks to this....like my identity, or role, in serious relationships. This concept of the "modern woman" was drilled into me at such a young age, that's it's difficult now in those times where I need to try to sit back and be taken care of. Because I DO acknowledge that there are times when it's okay for women to let go...and let the man be the man. But it takes a concerted effort after being expected to handle it myself for so long, y'know.

I guess I'm fortunate tho....having NOT been raised to be one of those girls who knows nothing but how to manipulate others to get what she needs instead of relying on her own work-ethic to see her thru. And doubly-fortunate to have found a man I WOULD do anything in the world for and vice versa. Women HAVE evolved....our roles, our wisdom, our abilities to stand up and be counted. But the majority of our lots in life are going to be how we, individually, cope and grow with these new lots....and how we choose to percieve them.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join