It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama postpones meeting with Dalai Lama

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Obama postpones meeting with Dalai Lama

SHANGHAI — U.S. President Barack Obama has quietly postponed an audience with the Dalai Lama until after he visits China in November.

The move comes in the wake of Obama's decision to slap a 35 per cent import duty on tires from China and avoids a potential second affront to Beijing.

China come first?

Why pray tell?

www.montrealgazette.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
The Lama needs to steal the Mic away from China and claim Tibet is better before Obama will acknowledge him.....

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Beijing considers the Dalai Lama a dangerous "splittest" who wants to separate Tibet from China and it routinely retaliates against heads of state and governments who deign to meet the Buddhist monk, even in a so-called "private" capacity.

Last year, Beijing cancelled an important summit with the European Union after French President Nicolas Sarkozy met with the Nobel Peace laureate and bilateral relations with Germany went in the deep freeze in 2007 when Chancellor Angela Merkel received him in the chancellery. Earlier this year, under pressure from China, South Africa refused to even issue him a visa.

Oh I see how it is , pressure from China.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Because China was already peaved that Obama was going to visit the Dalai Lama, and then he adds this new excise tax to their tires, and they were probably threatening to cancel his visit with them!!

I can't decide how I feel about the latest developments with China? Is Obama really trying to change things, or just looking for a little political bump? Or, is he actually trying to inflame them for some reason?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

What I can't figure out and maybe somebody here can tell me just how dangerous he is to big tough China?

I understand the politics behind it but why are they so fearful?

Are things really that fragile behind the great wall that a single man can derail their drive to becoming a world power?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I never understood that either, but I guess if I was trying to keep a BILLION people in check, I would take a lot of precautions with spiritual icons too!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by getreadyalready

What I can't figure out and maybe somebody here can tell me just how dangerous he is to big tough China?

I understand the politics behind it but why are they so fearful?

Are things really that fragile behind the great wall that a single man can derail their drive to becoming a world power?

My thoughts also.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Well there is one thing happening for sure and that's China using it's investment dollars to sway Obama into doing this.

The puppet master has spoke and the puppet dances.

Pathetic.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Remember this?

Activists 'shocked' at Clinton stance on China rights

(AFP) – Feb 20, 2009

WASHINGTON (AFP) — Amnesty International and a pro-Tibet group voiced shock Friday after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton vowed not to let human rights concerns hinder cooperation with China.

Paying her first visit to Asia as the top US diplomat, Clinton said the United States would continue to press China on long-standing US concerns over human rights such as its rule over Tibet.

"But our pressing on those issues can't interfere on the global economic crisis, the global climate change crisis and the security crisis," Clinton told reporters in Seoul just before leaving for Beijing.

T. Kumar of Amnesty International USA said the global rights lobby was "shocked and extremely disappointed" by Clinton's remarks.

"The United States is one of the only countries that can meaningfully stand up to China on human rights issues," he said.

"But by commenting that human rights will not interfere with other priorities, Secretary Clinton damages future US initiatives to protect those rights in China," he said.

"But our pressing on those issues can't interfere on the global economic ,

Thanks Hillary,

and now Obama,

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well there is one thing happening for sure and that's China using it's investment dollars to sway Obama into doing this.

The puppet master has spoke and the puppet dances.

Pathetic.

That is exactly what is happening, I try to find a reason to like Obama but it seems everyday there is another reason I dislike what he does.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
The Lama needs to steal the Mic away from China and claim Tibet is better before Obama will acknowledge him.....

I don't see that happening.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Dangerous? Hell no!!!
My guess is that they are afraid of being further exposed of illegally claiming land. Guilty conscious u know

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
i can answer the question i think.

seems back in imperial china, they had killed off so many of their female children, the single men started taking to the streets in gangs. the gangs learned the martial arts and eventually overthrew the emperor and the empire itself. china is right back where it was before. they've killed some 150,000,000 unborn females and an unknown number have also been victim of infanticide since the late 70's. the generations to come will once again, be without female compass or companionship, and the dalai lama represents the group from which such a thing could feasibly be repeated as the tibetan buddhists are the ancestors of the ones who brought down the empire.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
as the tibetan buddhists are the ancestors of the ones who brought down the empire.

Do you have any links for this?

I've read many articles on ancient China but haven't come across this one yet.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Excellent! I have heard of "male" communities and gangs in China. I always thought it was a ticking timebomb!

But, I do appreciate all those cute little Chinese girls raised by rich American Families!! Thank you China!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You seem to have got your facts mixed up. China did not kill their female children during the Qing dynasty or the Tibetan rule. That seems to have occurred during the communist rule or primarily during the rule of Mao. They need more able men for labor as well as military. They got the death penalty for almost everything, even something as petty as not paying taxes. Pretty much many people are still dying because of forced labor as well as corruption.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

the generations to come will once again, be without female compass or companionship, and the dalai lama represents the group from which such a thing could feasibly be repeated as the tibetan buddhists are the ancestors of the ones who brought down the empire.

WOW, I didn't know that, very insightful, TY.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I didn't know that either.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuteAngel
reply to post by undo

You seem to have got your facts mixed up. China did not kill their female children during the Qing dynasty or the Tibetan rule. That seems to have occurred during the communist rule or primarily during the rule of Mao. They need more able men for labor as well as military. They got the death penalty for almost everything, even something as petty as not paying taxes. Pretty much many people are still dying because of forced labor as well as corruption.

So they need Tibet?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   

It already fell in 1950, its theirs now. The only concept I don't get is that every time someone questions the legitimacy of them claiming land they respond with 'it was our land at one point in history'. With this concept many empires can be re claimed...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join