It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student 'Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword'

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Student 'Kills Burglar With Samurai Sword'

news.sky.com

A prolific burglar has been killed after his neck was severely cut and his left hand chopped off in a samurai sword attack, US police have said.

Just days after being released from prison, the man was spotted allegedly breaking into the garage of a house that was rented by four students.

The group asked him to stop and while they called police, the man lunged at one of them, who retaliated by striking him with the sword, officers said.

The unnamed man, who studies medicine at Baltimore's Johns Hopkins University, has been questioned by police about the incident off campus early on Tu
(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is where one of the few occasions where i lived in the US instead of here in the UK where i would now be sitting in a cell for doing this.

It's very rare i use the word "hate", and i know thieves steal for very different reasons, but i can safely say that in general, i hate thieves with a passion. Therefore, i would quite happily buy this student a beer for his actions.

You don't steal other peoples stuff....period! It's the lowest of the low in my opinion.

Baltimore police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said: "I think everyone has the right to first of all defend themselves and defend their home.

"And if this individual felt that a samurai sword was an appropriate tool to do so, I'm not in a position to say that's good or bad."

The burglar, who was in his late 40s, had a history of break-ins and was released from prison last Saturday, Mr Guglielmi said.

America, where the right to bear arms is constitutionally protected, has few restrictions on owning swords and samurai ones are legal.

They are banned in England and Wales, with exception of collectors.

Nice to see a policeman over there being supportive towards the case, it's not always that it happens, certainly not over here anyway.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/9/09 by CX]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The burglar in this instance gets the Darwin Award for 2009. Unarmed, lunge at someone with a sword...no sense of self-preservation.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Sweet. So those home shopping club swords really do work. If it were my house, he would have a chest full of 00 buckshot. The guy bled to death. Wow.

edit content. Never saw the word killed in my first post
[edit on 16-9-2009 by jibeho]

[edit on 16-9-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The burglar is dead so in my opinion there no point feeling empathy for him. He has gone back to where he came from and had he not lunged, looking to instill fear and injury then perhaps he would be behind bars and not chilling in a fridge.

I do feel sorry for the man who took his life though, defending his property. This is a visual moment he will have to learn to live with for the rest of his life. At the end of the day he took a life in a particularly violent way in a day he probably expected to end like any other.
No matter how gungho a person thinks he or she is, to take a life in such a manner can only have long lasting psychological effects.

I hope he gets through it OK.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It must have been a strange feeling for the person who used the sword. I dunno what would be more satisfactory. Chopping with a sword or just choking the burglar to death.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
IMO, the UK is a f#ed up place.
You can't own a gun and you can't own a sword?!
How in the hell do you guys defend yourselves? With broken bottles?

For the Queen! Indeed.

On the topic of this dude defending himself in his home... That is AWESOME.

We need more stories like this.
Unfortunately, any story that gives the little-guy the power of hope, in any respect, is flatly ignored by that media that is charged with the duty of reporting it.

"Home Shopping Network" Blades? I got my good ones straight from Thailand, and they are very nice.

They'll do the trick. As this story shows.

Even my cheap knock-offs will do in a pinch.

But my NICE Katana? I don't even let people unsheathe it to LOOK at it.
It is a dangerous weapon.
In many respects MORE dangerous than a gun.

People don't pick up a loaded gun and twirl it like a wild-westerner. If you aren't careful, people WILL try to swing a sword. And if you have a good sword, it is every bit as dangerous.

PS - Plucky: I starred your avatar.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
i think this is an awesome case

its great to see someone not immediately chastised for having defended himself and his property

so often lately we see good people doing the right thing only to be accosted by technical cow feces

its great that a man has finally not been punished for defending himself

i hope no charges are pursued as the days go on

and even if there were charges possible, i truly think having to live with what he has done and witness is a much worse punishment then jail could be

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Always nice to see a career criminal off the taxpayer payroll.

I'd definitely buy this student a keg party for his actions.

[edit on 9/16/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You are allowed to defend yourself in the UK and swords are not "banned" and neither are guns.

You can own swords provided you don't go waving them around at people, but instead keep them on their mountings like they should be.

You can also obtain firearms, if one so chooses, you just need to obtain a license, but most people don't want a gun or are ignorant of the process of obtaining one.

The Law in England and Wales states that you have the right to defend yourself and your property with "reasonable force".

The OP is quite right in saying that he would be in a cell for hacking an unarmed man to death with a sword, because that is hardly "reasonable" force.

However, if the man had a knife, you too can use a bladed weapon, or if he had a gun, you too could use a gun. It is a proportional response that the Police would look for.

Originally posted by JayinAR
IMO, the UK is a f#ed up place.
You can't own a gun and you can't own a sword?!
How in the hell do you guys defend yourselves? With broken bottles?

Is it really? Ever been?

Contrary to the media and popular (mostly American) belief, we don't actually need to "defend" ourselves very much at all.

The only times I have ever been attacked by another person was as a result of a drunken argy-bargy outside a nightclub, where I was hit in the head with....a bottle. This is in a major town which has a name for "violence" thanks to a popular police TV show on Sky 1.

I stand more of a risk being in a car accident than ever being attacked with a knife or a gun.

[edit on 16/9/09 by stumason]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So did he swing for the neck chop and the burglar stuck his arm up in defense only to lose his left hand as the blade went through it and then into his neck

or did he do few swings at his neck direction with the 1st one resulting in the hand going and then the next swing being the neck sounding like he wanted to kill him with that sword?

No big deal,burglar shouldnt have been there.Has paid a heavy price for his light fingers!His light fingers were on the garage floor when he was still standing

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hey I posted this yesterday....but mine got moved to BTS

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thaknobodi
It must have been a strange feeling for the person who used the sword. I dunno what would be more satisfactory. Chopping with a sword or just choking the burglar to death.

Any type of bladed instrument is better as long as you play a game of keep-away and don't get it taken from you; that said, it's usually a bad idea to try and take a knife from someone unless you KNOW FOR SURE what you're doing and have the appropriate training. That also said, it's hardly even worth it to try and choke someone out. Unless you get them in a good blood choke, you have to deal with them flopping and flailing all over the place, and they'll just keep swinging at your head and if they get the slightest little breath, you practically have to start all over again; it's also INCREDIBLY TIRING. So yeah, you're better to immobilizing and stabbing.

But anyways... GO STUDENT! One less degenerate piece of scum to worry about.

[edit on 2009/9/16 by Griever0311]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Ireland announced today the ban of swords!!!!!!!

Link

CX

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Hey I posted this yesterday....but mine got moved to BTS

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Apologies for this, i did do a search but nothing came up whatsoever.

Gotta love that search thing up there.

CX.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Gotta say, cant fault the students. I am aware of the law in the states as well as my native UK. Yeah Yeah Whatever! The bottom line is that as a 'burgler' you have no right to break into someone else's property and take that what is not yours. In doing so you should forfit all of your own rights, end of.

Now whether you get your head chopped off or your pride dented on capture, tough effing luck! Why? Quite simply you should not have been there in the first place.

And if for some reason you were genuinely 'lost' and failed to knock on the door first (ha ha), well then you get what you deserve too! IMO (and i'll stick to it thankyou)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalview

I agree with you.

I own a gun, a sword, several knives. I'm going to take simply every chance I can to prevent their death.

Mainly because I don't want the legal issues. Not that I'd feel bad for them. As much as I believe in human rights, they are putting me in an un-necessary danger Unless they are being forced to rob my house, which is trivial because how would I know?

But if they decided to lunge at me. They better be ready to take several bullets.

And if I spot a gun or see them move to draw one? I won't hesitate in that situation either. I will unload a 20 round clip into them if I have to.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I live about 30 min outside of Baltimore and I'll be the first to say the place is a s-hole, even out here in the county the crime has increased significantly in the last decade or so.

I'm not saying he deserved to die but the guy had 29 prior convictions and obviously no plan to change his ways anytime soon. The kids going to get a lot of crap for this and hopefully they don't wind up charging him, it's being looked into. Whatever the outcome it's refreshing to see someone fight back, refusing to be a victim.

My neighbor probably loves this story as his house has been broken into three times this year. The place is terrible I wouldn't even recommend visiting, just do yourself a favor, forget Baltimore even exists.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Apologies for this, i did do a search but nothing came up whatsoever.

Gotta love that search thing up there.

CX.

And yo got eight flags, mine got none

At least I have no flag shortage at the moment

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Please add to existing thread

Link

new topics

top topics

join