It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Israel targeted civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

UN: Israel targeted civilians

www.nzherald.co.nz

Israel targeted "the people of Gaza as a whole" in the three-week military operation

A UN fact-finding mission, led by the South African and Jewish judge Richard Goldstone, said Israel should face prosecution by the International Criminal Court, unless it opened fully independent investigations of what the report said were repeated violations of international law, "possible war crimes and crimes against humanity" during the operation, which is estimated to have killed 1300 Palestinians.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Both are being accused of war crimes.
Israel for killing civilians and even targeting civilians and U.S. Puppet Hamas for sending rockets into civilian areas in Israel.

Now the question is, will Israel allow a UN probe?

Understand I do not support Hamas or his followers, but I do want palestine to be free of being under Israel's militant thumb.

It's more than clear that Israel targeted Civilians, hospitals, businesses and so on and so forth.

Apart from the unprecedented death toll, the report says that "the destruction of food supply installations, water sanitation systems, concrete factories and residential houses was the result of a systematic policy by the Israeli armed forces".

The purpose was not to avert a military threat, but "to make the daily process of living and dignified living more difficult for the civilian population".

I don't even think Hamas represented even 5% of Israel's targets. They wanted to destroy Gaza's infrastructure, this is more than obvious.

Let's see if a UN probe will be allowed.

www.nzherald.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-9-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
No, the probe will not be allowed, Israel did not even cooperate with the investigation. This will go the way of most UN resolutions, nothing will come of it.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
UN = anti-Israel.

I would not let them investigate either.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

you must be anti-semitic as the judge is a jew.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I have no dog in this fight, I merely stating from a military objective point of view.
Israel's targeting of civilian, food distribution centers, hospitals , and other civilian targets was to weaken Hamas' grip on the people in Gaza. Hamas, even before it was elected was actively supplying foodstuffs and medicines to the palestinians in order to galvanize the people to Hamas. This worked out during the election and brought them to legitimate power. If Israel cut off the ability of Hamas to help it's support base, it might be enough of a hardship to isolate Hamas and turn the palestinians against the duly elected governance. Hamas having very little room outside o populated areas to fight could then be demonized as using the people as human shields in order to turn the world stage against Hamas. On the flip side Hamas knows that by being in a populated center they increase the chance that any militayr retaliation by Israel against rocket attacks stands the chance of killing innocent civilians thus boosting the anti-Israel fervor in the world. Both sides are playing a very dangerous and tragic game at the expense of the palestinians.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Bear in mind that this is the very same UN Human Rights Council that applauded Sri Lanka in its fight against terrorism only a few months ago.

~20,000 civilians were killed in that conflict.

When do you think we'll see a report on Sri Lanka's human rights violations?

It would be funny if it wasn't so scary.

The UN is a politicized, agenda-driven, corrupt waste of time and money.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The UN is impotent and incapable of peace. Israel and US knows this and will not allow such a corrupt body to judge them.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Ummmmm

The UN has criticized Sri Lanka quite a bit
so i'm not sure what you are talking about

do some googling and find out for yourself

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

On the contrary the UN did absolutely nothing when Srilanka was shouting for years regarding the terrorism problems they were faced with called LTTE which was responsible for killing many of their leaders as well as civilians and all of a sudden China interferes and pretty much wiped out the LTTE and killed around 20000 civilians, the UN just makes some noise. Some times people just learn the hard way! What an effective organization. As I said impotent

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Despite i think that Israel is (politically) some criminal country, i have to say that is Hamas who raised the bar of the current conflict: now, Hamas is known to be a terrorist organization and even some extremely dangerous one, but in spite of it it has been elected by the people there. This is very concerning, because the people voting for Hamas means basically that they do WANT some kind of clash, they don't believe in any pacific solution of the problem.
That said, Israel's behavior is unacceptable, a civil country should NEVER behave that way, they kill children PURPOSELY which says it all about them.

You, are you serious when you claim that UN are anti-Israel or it was just a joke? Israel IS anti-UN, the difference between the two scenarios is HUGE.

From 1967 to 1989 the UN Security Council passed 131 resolutions directly addressing the Arab-Israeli conflict. In early Security Council practice, resolutions did not directly invoke Chapter VII. They made an explicit determination of a threat, breach of the peace, or act of aggression, and ordered an action in accordance with Article 39 or 40. Resolution 54 determined that a threat to peace existed within the meaning of Article 39 of the Charter, reiterated the need for a truce, and ordered a cease-fire pursuant to Article 40 of the Charter. Although the phrase "Acting under Chapter VII" was never mentioned as the basis for the action taken, the chapter’s authority was being used

en.wikipedia.org...

Do you think that UN are being run by some neo-nazi dudes? Look at the facts, then decide who's behaving like some nazi. The only point is that Israel is allowed to do EVERYTHING, unlike every other single country. Hamas is a bunch of criminals, so they do what you would expect (to kill civilians randomly): but israeli soldiers CAN choose, and when they choose they often choose to kill children. The difference between the two ways to behave is obvious to me, not to those who wanna see the stuff in some one-way.
What is sad is that if you walk on Tel Aviv streets, no one of the people that you meet (except the extremists) is interested in the conflict: all they want is to live, and they already can, no need to expand their territory. But israel wants more, more, more .... It's the same old story.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
Hamas is known to be a terrorist organization and even some extremely dangerous one, but in spite of it it has been elected by the people there.

Dude, America voted for Bush Twice
Does that mean the world should treat americans as israel treats Gazans?

Come on man

Hamas is an idiot and needs to be stopped, I agree

But that wasn't what Israel wanted

If anything they want the rockets to continue
Just like Bush was glad when 9/11 happened
it's an excuse for war, invasions, more military budget

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Israel just needs to be left alone, nothing more. But dumb a$$e$ like hamas and hizballah have nothing better to do than to target Israel civillians and schools. All Israel does is respond in kind so as to discourage them from further attacks, this hamas use as propaganda so as to gain sympathy as well as foreign aid so as to buy more weapons to attack Israel further. So that Israel can respond with further sophisticated weapons and hamas can again use that as a propaganda. Its a viscous cycle...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CuteAngel

I'm sorry but your post is delusional

Israel just wants to be left alone?
Really?

And building more and more and more and more settlements in palestine is what you call minding their own business?
That's pro-leave me alone and just let me live?
I think not!

When I read posts defending israel's actions, they seem to delusional
It's amazing how people actually think like this

I find it so surreal
It's like your a figment of my imagination

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

That tiny strip of land called Israel/Palestine is like a no mans land in the middle of nowhere. That land has always been subjected to warfare and conquest throughout most of history. This is not a figment of anyone's imagination.
Atleast you can give some credit to Israel for taking over that land and constructing it to mean something. I'm sure if hamas or hizballah behaved or tried to move to surrounding arab land none of this would occur. They are always the first to start up some crap or the other.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by internos
Hamas is known to be a terrorist organization and even some extremely dangerous one, but in spite of it it has been elected by the people there.

Dude, America voted for Bush Twice
Does that mean the world should treat americans as israel treats Gazans?

Come on man

Hamas is an idiot and needs to be stopped, I agree

But that wasn't what Israel wanted

If anything they want the rockets to continue
Just like Bush was glad when 9/11 happened
it's an excuse for war, invasions, more military budget

There is NOTHING i disagree with in your post, nothing.
But United States have a congress, they are NOT some wild country, even in case they get some very STRANGE president like Bush Jr.
Democracy in the US is run by PEOPLE, newspapers are free, etcetera. If the president does something wrong, people is allowed to go to protest even in front of the white house, without being killed because of it. People is able to discern president and govt from people, FORTUNATELY.
I come from Italy, and i feel lucky to don't be taken like a clown, since our PM IS a clown. All that US have to do is to STOP vetoing UN resolutions, that would unlock a series of actions that are still frozen, and you know what i mean.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

Ok I understand
well said

I agree with you

I don't agree that the U.S. is still a democracy as it once was while I still lived there, but I do see your point.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

. . . as the judge is a jew.

And?

The first part of your sentence was removed by me because of its ludicrous claim.

The quoted part now . . .

Just because he is a Jew does not mean that he is not crooked, corrupt, etc.

The UN is notorious for being anti-Israel. Do some research.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
10 points for the first person, without using google who can answer this: What was the UN doing before this??

ANswer: NOTHING.

The UN is useless. I don't even know what they have the UN for, nothing ever happens with them.

new topics

top topics

join