It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian President hints at U-turn over Iran sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Russian President hints at U-turn over Iran sanctions

www.timesonline.co.uk

President Medvedev gave the first hint yesterday that Russia was prepared to perform a significant policy U-turn and support US moves for sanctions against Iran.

Speaking in Moscow, the Russian leader went out of his way to be more conciliatory with the West before his visit this month to the US where he will attend the United Nations General Assembly meeting in New York and the G20 summit of economic powers in Pittsburgh.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Wow, now this is interesting. Something definitely is going on here. I do know that there has been a power struggle between President Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin, but this is in direct contradiction to Putin's comments earlier that Russia would oppose any sanctions against Iran. That is discussed in sanchoearlyjones' thread Putin warns against Iran attack.

His remarks contradicted his Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, who last week ruled out sanctions. The possibility of a U-turn will come as a huge relief to Western diplomats who had largely given up on Russia supporting them. Trade sanctions against Iran would need the support of all five permanent members of the UN Security Council — the US, Britain, China, France and Russia. If Russia joined the Western nations, Beijing would be expected to drop its objections.

This flip-flop is definitely worth watching.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/9/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Is Wayne Putin gonna hafta suicide a Medvedev?

Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle Power struggle

When will this all end? We know HOW it will all end, but when?

I think soon.

and I pray (metaphorically) that you all see it coming and do with your final peaceful days what you can to make you happy.

I don't think anybody ridicules the people who wear "The End Is Near" sandwich boards anymore.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I just noticed this thread 'We may have to attack Iran by Dec.' which states in the article:

Israel will be compelled to attack Iran's nuclear facilities if Western powers do not impose serious sanctions against Teheran by the end of 2009, former deputy defense minister Ephraim Sneh said on Wednesday.

Could Medvedev be taking Israel seriously? This is becoming "curiouser and curiouser"...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This has to be connected to Netenyahu's visit the other week.
I bet he has something on Putin/Medeved-naughty pictures perhaps?
Quite a policy shift if this pans out.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
This has to be connected to Netenyahu's visit the other week.
I bet he has something on Putin/Medeved-naughty pictures perhaps?
Quite a policy shift if this pans out.

Something much much better ... The Arctic cargo ship was carrying nukes to Iran, was captured by a Israel commando, crew was then retrieved by russians, nobody heard of them anymore, and Netanyahu was to Moscow showing the russians photos of few captured russian build nukes with registration numbers, threatening if you don´t cooperate we will release this to the public MUHAHAHA

[edit on 12/08/09 by Durabys]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Wow, now this is interesting. Something definitely is going on here. I do know that there has been a power struggle between President Medvedev and Prime Minister Putin, but this is in direct contradiction to Putin's comments earlier that Russia would oppose any sanctions against Iran.

Medvedev is simply trying to smooth things out before his trip to the US. He has not agreed to approve any sanctions, but simply to take them into consideration, probably as a good will gesture to the US. It may seem like his statements are in contradiction to Putin's, but I believe that there is an arrangement between them. They are purposely playing both sides of the issue, so that Russia can capitalize on good relations with both Iran and US. As far as actual decisions and actions go, Medvedev and Putin are in full consensus.

I tend to look at it this way: Putin is playing the role of the hardliner and devil's advocate, while Medvedev is playing the role of the harmonious moderator - and they are both on the same team. There is no evidence of a power struggle. Even if there was a power struggle, I am sure they would keep it from the public - neither wants to put on a drama show for the world.

The possibility of a U-turn will come as a huge relief to Western diplomats who had largely given up on Russia supporting them.

See this is exactly why Medvedev is doing it - make it seem like he wants to cooperate with the US before his trip there, in order to facilitate a more productive meeting. And after that, things can go back to usual, and Medvedev can point at Prime Minister Putin and say "the Parliament voted down my resolution to approve the sanctions, so tough luck".

Could this Medvedev's announcement be authentic? Sure. But the only way Russia's official view suddenly changed is if the Russian government has learned some critical new information.

If Russia joined the Western nations, Beijing would be expected to drop its objections.

I am not so sure about this one. Beijing has its own relationship and interest with Iran, separate from Russia. No one can say with certainty what China will do. Furthermore there seems to be a rift between US and China about trade restrictions. So China may decide to make the sanctions vote a matter of contention.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Durabys

But the public wouldn’t care.
The only ones on Israel's side are western (US) financed nations.

The public would probably agree, Iran deserves a nuclear deterrent like Israel.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
First of all, Medvedev wont change Russia's policy on Iran.

Secondly, power struggle between Putin and Medvedev?
Are you kidding me? It was Putin who hand picked Medvedev.
There is no power struggle. What happened to denying ignorance on this site?
The only power struggle that exists is in the fictional tales in western media, ie, it's propaganda people, to portray a weak, divided Russia, and put pressure on the Russian leadership.

Do you really think the US is interested in working with Russia as partners, or getting along? Or vice versa. The whole thing is a show, one big charade.
Do people have any idea the amount of natural resources Russia has within it's borders? It makes Saudi Arabia look like a backwater in terms of resources.
The only reason Saudi Arabia gets attention, is because the Americans are reliant on their oil.

Why do you think the Russians are doing everything they can, to prevent America from gaining control over Central Asian and the Caucasus regions? Because those are right on Russia's door step, they are it's underbelly.
If they lose them to America, Russia will be lost not long after.

Why did Georgia attack South Ossetia and even Russian peace keepers there?
Because the Americans pushed them into it, with the propaganda machine working over time to portray Russia as the instigator of the war.
But that plan backfired when OSCE observers revealed it was Georgia who started the war, and that Georgia had fired hundreds if not thousands of rockets into a city, targeting civilians.

Now Georgia is permanently fractured, with Russia extending recognition to South Ossetia and Abkhazia. In other words, check mate. Now if Georgia makes a move, with or without Americas blessing, it's suicide.

The US has also backed down from the missile shield in Poland. In other words reading between the lines, Russia showed the US it wont be messed with so easily and that while it may not be the USSR anymore, it still has enough might to make it count.

Behind the scenes, Medvedev and Putin are both on the same page.
That you can be assured of. Medvedev wouldn't have been brought up to were he is now, if he wasn't.

Brings me to another point..why do you think Yeltsin chose Putin?
Yeltsin may have been a drunk(wonder why...), but he was no fool. He knew he didn't have the power to change things, Putin being ex-KGB and all that, did. And that's what he has done.
Russia would have been broken up by now, or the beginning of it's break up would have begun, if Putin hadn't come to power. He removed those who were a threat to Russia's unity and sovereignty. Those billionaires and what not who were put in prison.
It's portrayed in western media as something else though, but in reality what it is is Putin taking back control of the country and it's resources.

See, everyone sees China as a threat to the USA. China wont be a threat, it wont be any greater then the USA. The reason being both lack the massive amounts of energy resources, they need to secure them from abroad. The middle east etc. Russia has massive amounts of energy resources. Before the financial crash, they had amassed a "war chest" of around 900 billion to 1 trillion, profit from energy exports. Was not publicised except in a few articles here and there out of the main stream.
Then suddenly bam financial systems crash around the world. The bubble burst.

Some say there's a war going on between the elites, the powers that be. I don't believe there is so much a war, but a game that they are getting much pleasure in, pitting one side against the other.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by BLV12]

top topics

join