It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A way to Search the Current Thread. Anyone agree?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I know there is a suggestion forum somewhere but I couldnt find it.

Anyway, who would like a feature that searches the current thread only as you find on other forums?

On a long thread you have to go through every post just to see if what you are about to post has already been covered which wastes too much time on long posts, especially when they go off topic.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I agree, long or busy threads can be a pain to cope with in terms of volume.

Would using your browser's search function work? You'd still have to do it page by page, but it would be better than word by word like we usually do.

Even a quick way to find my last post so that I can continue reading from there would be good.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I agree, both on the content search (if possible) or to finding you own last post on the current thread. I know if you go into your profile you can see only your post (no replies) but if they could add a page number for quick reference, I know I've lost a few on some hot topics.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
ctrl+f then type in your username..

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

thanks a bunch

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
ctrl+f then type in your username..

That is what I do now - go through each page and search for my username. Not exactly user friendly.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

You can use the button at the bottom of any of your posts on a thread that says "thread" and it will show you all your posts for that thread.

Unfortunately, it does not say in which page they are, as posts list has its own page count.

Edit to add: If you want to search just one long thread you can use the thread id, it's there in the page address. If you want to search "XYZ" on this thread, for example, you can write "XYZ" and "thread501877" on the search box at the top right of the page.

[edit on 16/9/2009 by ArMaP]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
You could use google with advanced search.

If you wanted to find 'LightFantastic' in this thread , use 'LightFantastic' as the search word/phrase and the thread url as the search site parameter:

thus:

LightFantastic site:www.abovetopsecret...
.com/forum/thread501877/

edit:trying to get it to display the link, but it concatenates.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Gun Totin Gerbil]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Thanks ArMaP and Gun Totin, i have used google advanced search on a site before but didn't know i could use that on a thread. I also didn't know I could use the ATS search function that way! very helpful suggestions!

I knew I could search page by page but on long threads that can really be too time consuming, so this is much better!

thanks again!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Thanks for the advice to use the advanced search features. Its a bit clunky but better than the current alternative.

Does ATS ever act on suggestions?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LightFantastic

Yes, and there's a thread just for that, here.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Yes ctrl+f is good but there really should be a method to sort a thread to discussions you are having with other members. Busy threads become a nightmare to deal with.

The admins probably do not want to provide such a feature since they dont want people to miss out on what others are saying and create side conversations, but that is what geos on now, its just much more of a hassle and nuisance.

new topics

top topics

join