It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sources of vitamin D other than the sun?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I've been hearing a lot lately about the benefits of vitamin D and the risks associated with not getting enough of it. I've also heard the best source of this vitamin is the sun. However, I have pale, sensitive skin that tends to get splotchy and ugly with sun exposure so I always wear sun block when going out. I also want to prevent skin cancer and premature skin aging.

So does anyone know of any foods, supplement, etc. that would make up for not getting enough sun? Also, what are some of the symptoms of vitamin D deficiency? I've been having twitching muscles lately and I wondered if that could have anything to do with it.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
i always thought that you got vitamin k from the sun, not vitamin d. i could be wrong though.
whole milk is a good source of vitamin d

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Might be vitamin K too...but I know for sure you get vitamin D from the sun. At least that's what "they" say.

I drink lots of milk but it's not whole, does it make much of a difference?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HarvestMoon

i'm no expert on milk but i am pretty sure the whole milk is where the vitamin d is at. thats why it says vitamin d on the jug
you've got whole/vitamin d
2%
skim

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
There's 5 kinds of vitamin D Try and get all 5.

Vitamin D Fact Sheet
Vitamin D wiki

Spirulina

Chlorella

Blueberry

Sprouts

Antioxidants

In the body, nutrients such as beta-carotene (a vitamin A precursor), vitamin C, vitamin E, and selenium have been found to act as antioxidants. They act by scavenging free radicals free radical, in chemistry, a molecule or atom that contains an unpaired electron but is neither positively nor negatively charged. Free radicals are usually highly reactive and unstable. ..... Click the link for more information. , molecules with one or more unpaired electrons, which rapidly react with other molecules, starting chain reactions in a process called oxidation. Free radicals are a normal product of metabolism; the body produces its own antioxidants (e.g., the enzyme superoxide dismutase) to keep them in balance. However, stress, aging, and environmental sources such as polluted air and cigarette smoke can add to the number of free radicals in the body, creating an imbalance. The highly reactive free radicals can damage healthy DNA and have been linked to changes that accompany aging (such as age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in older people) and with disease processes that lead to cancer, heart disease, and stroke.

Hope that helps
[edit to add: 5 not 3]

[edit on 15-9-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It important to note that you don't "get" vitamin D from the sun, its the sun that help your skin synthesize it. There are also 4-5 important types of vitamin D that you need.

Fatty fish is, in my opinion, the best way to get it from nutrition. Fish oils in pill form are also a good way to get it in your system. But still, note that the best form is that which your body naturally produces. The sun is important, but I know your plight. I'm not pale naturally, but I am pretty nocturnal due to my profession. You don't need extended exposure, only enough to produce what you need.

The body does a lot of things well by itself.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Thanks everybody.
I guess I'll be switching milk and trying some of those things to see if it helps. But other than that I won't worry.

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarvestMoon
I drink lots of milk but it's not whole, does it make much of a difference?

Yes, it makes a big difference. Fat soluble vitamins(A,D,E,K) need the help of lipids(fat) to reach the blood stream through the intestinal tract. If you're drinking low-fat milk, those vitamins may go straight through you. Whole milk tastes better anyways.

The best way to ensure optimum vitamin D3 levels is to get some sun, nutrition just doesn't cut it. If you're fair skinned, 20 minutes of direct sunlight exposure is enough time to get what you need. Once your body gets what it needs, then synthesis stops. And that usually occurs when you've obtained 10,000 IU. Try and get that much from your diet.

Here's some more info:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

-Dev

posted on Oct, 8 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hi HarvestMoon - get some D3 supplements at the store (they're not expensive). Get the ones that say the dosage is 2000 IU and take 2 pills a day (2 at one time preferably) for a total dosage of 4000 IU. They're not big pills, pretty easy to swallow.

posted on Oct, 19 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
What is your current amount of vitamin D do you take..?and what brand.
thanks
Sid

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I study natural medicine. There are many sources of Vitamin D, but it's hard to find out from the internet, 1984-style, go to a library. Here are some sources:

Dates, Carob, Mangoes, Spirulina, Rosehips, and there are some others I can't think of. I'll get back to you soon, if I remember.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
oh, sorry, i forgot animal sources, like egg yolks & ocean fish. Vit D is destroyed by heavy cooking. have some sushi or sunny-side-up eggs.

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
or just GET SOME SUN!!!

posted on Oct, 27 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Here's an excellent source of info on this and many other related subjects: www.thewolfeclinic.com...

I actually take 2 capsules of their 5,000 eu capsules a day.

posted on Oct, 29 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sidaust
What is your current amount of vitamin D do you take..?and what brand.
thanks
Sid

I take 1 or 2 chewable supplements a day that are like Viactin, but a generic brand.

I eat a fair amount of many of the foods bettermakings listed so I'm thinking I'm probably ok. And to those of you who say just get some sun, it's not that easy to do where I live it's cloudy most of the time.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
well milk has vitimin D and yes the sun gives off I think vitamin K but the skin converts it to vitamin D. I would suggest you to get vitamin D pills you need a load source of it. The more north you are from the equator the more vitimin D you need else you will get depressed and many other health.

You need alot of vitimin D in the winter. I don't think drinking a gallon of milk will help.

You still do need sunlight to help your skin to stay healthy otherwise your skin will get sensitive to the UV rays from the sun.

Here are other sources of vitamin D:

Salmon,Pure Cod liver oil, eggs(only the yoke),Tuna fish, and liver of cow.

You can find more at: www.algaecal.com...

hope this helps.

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I've always wondered: Does the vitamin D in milk actual stay in the doses that are added to the milk?
Or does it slowly leach out over time and exposure to light...say in store cases?

Also, if taking a suppl, what is the optimum does of D3?
Is there a proper dose to take if you are actually sick and need more?

posted on Dec, 1 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Also, if taking a suppl, what is the optimum does of D3?
Is there a proper dose to take if you are actually sick and need more?

Depends on the purpose ...

www.thewolfeclinic.com...

I have taken 5,000 IU a day and no colds/flu for he last three years.

posted on Dec, 2 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
or just GET SOME SUN!!!

Yep! - There are some places that hardly get any sun at all because of there position way up north... and some of the towns are in steep sided valleys to make it even worse... When ever they get the chance they have this quite eerie practice of just stopping whatever they are doing as soon as a crack of sunlight falls on the town... Where ever they are, say in the street they stop, close there eyes and stand there letting the sunlight fall on their face (it's too cold to get the body out!)... They just stand there in silence... The practice has a name - I can't remember it now, but there is a you tube somewhere... The whole town does it and workplaces incorporate it into their schedules and such.

One of the main reasons is that depression can take hold of a person quite seriously if they don't get enough natural sunlight.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Great article, especially with the results of those studies regarding cancer reduction rates.
We've upped our doses significantly and I keep seeing conflicting reports of proper dosages. My nutritional bible, Nutritional Healing is either out of date or out of touch.
I think I'm taking 1600 IU daily, with calcium and so far so good.

edit...mg to IU

[edit on Thu Dec 3 2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join