It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two German cargo ships pass through 'Arctic Passage'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

2 German cargo ships pass through 'Arctic Passage'

Two German merchant ships have traversed the fabled Northeast Passage after global warming and melting ice opened a route from South Korea along Russia's Arctic coast to Siberia.

Now the German-owned ships are poised to complete their journey through the cold waters where icebergs abound, heading for Rotterdam in the Netherlands with 3,500 tons of construction parts.

A journey from South Korean to the Netherlands, for example, is about 11,000 nautical miles (12,658 miles). By going northward and using the Northeast Passage, approximately 3,000 nautical miles (3,452 miles) and 10 days can be shaved off. That means lower fuel costs

"The Arctic is becoming a blue ocean," Serreze told The Associated Press.

Say what you will, but these are indeed changing times...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I know every one likes to harp on about global warming, but if you look back in history, you will see that sailors have used this passage many times in the past.

So the passage is open this year, if it remains open through out the northern winter and into summer, then I might think something strange is going on.

You are right on one thing though....The times, they are a changin'
we realy do live in some interesting times...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Times are indeed a changing. But how is the sea ice comparing to the last few years...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/85a34c18e5b1.png[/atsimg]

Well sea ice is faring better than the last couple of years. But it's not like that's going to stop the fear mongering. There is WAY too much riding on the "imminenet threat of global warming".

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned
Well sea ice is faring better than the last couple of years. But it's not like that's going to stop the fear mongering.

...or the misrepresentations, slight-of-hand, or plain confusion coming from those who want to take valid causation disputes and extend them into a broader denial of obvious and significant climate change.

From THE EXACT SAME SOURCE you used and for the exact same periods:

A picture is worth a thousand words, huh?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Regardless of "how" and "why" this passage is open again, it is Open.
Did we not notice that these Russian cargo ships are carrying construction supplies to Denmark??
We all know about the last Russian ship carrying timber eh???

Question: Who is monitoring the activity in the Northeast Passage now????

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zandermander
Regardless of "how" and "why" this passage is open again, it is Open.
Did we not notice that these Russian cargo ships are carrying construction supplies to Denmark??
We all know about the last Russian ship carrying timber eh???

Question: Who is monitoring the activity in the Northeast Passage now????

Namaste

ZM

Ummmm these are German ships not russian.
An honest mistake I belive.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Reevster]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Reevster

Yes..yes..

An honest mistake.
Was catching up here on ATS.
Perhaps me head is full!!

Thank you.

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
yeah...let's ignore global warming...because the CO2 from industrialization and methane release from warmed oceans, will kill us long before global warming will kill us from the heat.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I'm a little confused as to what you are implying. Are you disagreeing that there is more ice extent this year than the last couple years? (a picture can be worth a thousand words, but that doesn't mean they'll be in the context of the conversation
)

I agree with you that there are valid causation disputes. But who's denying climate change? As far as I'm aware the climate is constantly changing, whether we like it or not.

The fact is, that Arctic passages have been clear in the past, and they will be at some stage in the future. But a couple ships going through a passage doesn't neccessarily mean there is "significant climate change".
But then again, what is significant climate change? Lush grasslands turning to desert, ice caps melting, ice caps growing, species migrating...
It's all happened before, so why does it happening now make it any more significant?

Originally posted by jimmyx
yeah...let's ignore global warming...because the CO2 from industrialization and methane release from warmed oceans, will kill us long before global warming will kill us from the heat.

Are you saying the carbon dioxide levels will rise to levels that are lethal to humans? Do you realise how high atmospheric levels of CO2 and methane would have to be to be lethal?

Whether you buy into the "runaway climate" models or not, I think most people will agree that these gases will not rise to levels that would be toxic to humans. It would be great for plants though, with higher yeilds and increased drought resistance, but maybe not so great for coral.

Disclaimer: I am not denying climate change. I am not denying that humans are having a negative impact on our planet. I do think reduced reliance on fossil fuels would be a good thing. However, I don't think you have to agree with AGW alarmists, politicians and profiteers to truly care for your environment.

new topics

top topics

join