It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is football fake too???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Well, I'm not a huge sports fan, but I've kept up on football (usa football, not soccer) for a few years now. Last year was pathetic as there were certain things, mostly calls by the refs that were like wtf?? Convienently, it seems certain calls have been made that make the other team win by the exact amount of points that were disregarded as a result of the penalty call. For example, Tonight Raiders vs Chargers.. Now, I am a Denver Broncos fan, so I can objectively say that I really don't care which one of those teams won. The raiders played real well, but then when in the 2nd quarter, the raiders made a pass into the endzone it was ruled incomplete. The announcers were like "well if this is ruled incomplete then that wouldn't be right!" etc etc...after they had shown the play multiple times proving that it was a complete pass.

The refs rule the pass as incomplete and the raiders ended up getting a field goal instead. Even the announcers are stunned. So the raiders lost out of 4 points because of the bad call. At this point, I called BS and knew the raiders would lose by 4 points. At the 4th quarter it became rediculous. Clearly the announcers were predicting plays etc then the raiders quarterback was injured and out of several plays. If anyone has recorded that game, then I ask you watch that part over again a few times. Listen to how fake it gets!!! It's unreal. The quarterback was CLEARLY acting and it was almost like they were just trying to waste time so that the clock could run out. Ultimately, the raiders lost (and i could care less normally) by 4 points. Rediculous! Is football staged??? Sometimes it really seems like it. I mean these players are pros, if they wanted to stage something, I'm sure they would be willing. Afterall they make millions to do what they do while the crowd cheers..

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Refs make bad calls, even with replay.

Commentators are usually good at predicting whats going to happen. They have seen millions of plays and are very knowledgable in the sport.

Football games aren't rigged. It would cost more money in fines and penalties then they would gain.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I wouldn't say millions (common! thats a huge stretch). Hundreds/thousands best case scenario.. I get refs making bad calls....but in the last several years it seems the calls have been way out there! And it's amazing how those calls cost the team who has been charged it, the *exact* amount of points that just so happens to make that game a loss. In the 80's when I was much younger I don't remember the game being so...biasedly guarded by refs.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

No I would say millions.

You have to remember most were around football long before they became commentators.

Football isn't fake, if you want to believe it is then thats cool. Pretend you are watching the WWE.

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
1,000,000 plays.

Average NFL game is 125 play..

1,000,000 divided by 125 plays.. equals..

8,000 games.

Now..

32 teams.. times 20 games per season... (including preseason.. not including playoffs and bowl games)

640 games per season..

8000 games total divided by 640 games gives us...

12.5 seasons to see 1,000,000 plays if a commentator sees every game each season.

Mind you, this is only NFL and doesn't take into account any college games.

Perfectly within the realm of plausibility to assume someone who lives football would see millions of plays in his lifetime.

[edit on 29-11-2009 by HankMcCoy]

posted on Nov, 29 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
No, football is not fake in anyway, shape or form.

I think what you are talking about is when there is less than a minute in the last quarter and if the winning team has the ball there is no sense in busting their butts so they just let the clock run out.

It isn't fake or illegal.

Being in the band in high school and college football was and still is a very big part of my life.

As a side note I'm sure glad Tebo played his last college game this weekend.
You'd think he won all those Fla. Gator games right by himself.

Yes, he was a good quarterback but it takes a team to win a game.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
As a side note I'm sure glad Tebo played his last college game this weekend.

Hate to break it to you, but he has two games left.

This coming weekend, he'll play in the SEC Championship game against Alabama.

Then, in January, in a bowl game, hopefully not for the national championship.

GO Bama, Roll Tide.

TCU for National Champs.

posted on Nov, 30 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Any sport involving money can and will be corrupted.
Most sports have games and results fixed at one time or another.

That's just what happens when money is involved.

top topics

join