It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


A little advice a crossroads

page: 1

log in


posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:32 AM
Howdy ATS'ers and BTS'ers. Events in my life have recently taken a very unexpected turn in my life, and need a little advice. I have recently hurt my back at work ( lumbar area), and when I went to the worker's comp clinic, who only employs LPN's, I went through the paces and had an MRI done. Now I am in daily pain of about a 20 on a 1-10 scale, muscle spams, leg weakness and fire sensations up and down my leg. The MRI concluded that L1-L5 in my lumbar , the spinal canal has collapsed in onitself and is squeezing my spine. Well my job's risk management dept is obviuosly trying to fight the LPN's reccommendations of an Ortho and Neuro surgeon claiming the damage was degenerative, pre-existing, or developmental. I was advised that even with one of six possible surgeries or even pain management for the course of my life, I will never be at 100% again and probably attached to a cane. This being said, every job I have ever had has been physical, from air cargo, to DHS, to stocking shelves even a stint as a block mason. Basically the LPN told me to go ahead and file with SSDI. Does anyone have any advice on the quickest and painless way to go about this? I am not looking forward to this and at 34 this is completely against everything I have ever known ( the sucking off the gov't teet), I have retirement money however not even close to what I need. And I verywell can't support my daughter in this condition, working 25 hours a week.Any advice or help would be greatlyappreciated. I am at my wits end. On a side note I have finally become eligible for Insurance at work but can't sign up till October20 so I will not be able to go that route.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 01:39 AM
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences.

Explanation: Flagged. and condolences on your medical condition.

As an Aussie I don't think I can help you with your compo sitX but I wish you the best of luck with it. What I can suggest though is that you try and become a Occupational Health and Saftey officer [OH&S]. Even physical jobs require OH&S oversight [I wanted to be an architect so building sites were a major concern of mine] and the best OH&S offices are usually people who have previously worked those physical types of jobs. Since you have hands on experience and have also experienced the failure of OH&S I feel you'd be perfect for the job! Your oversight in this area I'm sure would astound even you!

Personal Disclosure: I'm wondering if you possess a lumbar support girdle/brace. I'm no expert and I've just flogged these links from quik google search but these look cheap and effective. sture-girdle/ -orthopedic-magnetic/

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 02:25 AM
reply to post by djvexd

Well. If your work decides against paying for help.. I suggest you look for a pro-bono lawyer. They will probably jump in the air at the chance to sue your company.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:17 PM
definately apply for ssi. it takes months and you will probably get rejected the first time. i can relate towhat you are going through. at 21 i had my disc at l5s1 crumble. it was due to a degenerative condition. i had surgery and they put a titanium cage in place with a piece of bone from my hip and a cadaever bone. then they threw vicodins at me like they were candy.

i work now and i am in constant pain every day though it has been worse. you need to do something though if the pain is traveling away from your back, down your legs etc. you want the pain to stay localized.
you should apply for ssi immediately. go to see a pain management doc and a neuro surgeon. unfortunately the entire process is going to take a while and if you don't have insurance as of now it is probably going to be labelled as a pre existing condition.

talking to a lawyer would not be a bad idea

new topics

top topics

log in