It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drawing Blood Will Help Stop Drunk Driving, Police Say

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Hi , I must say I am not a drinker, I might have 1 drink a year so I am not the most knowledgeable on this topic but do you really think it is easy to pass a sobriety test and to trick a breathalyzer? How can someone do that? I'm by no means saying your wrong, it just seems like it might actually be pretty hard to do that.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 30_seconds
Perhaps resources would be better spent making this a society which doesn't foster people self-medicating to cope with the inequity, injustice, shame, and desperation our system has created.

As long as our economic system is based on debt (with compound interest) and forcing the working classes to make an appeal to the wealthy to find jobs (which means nothing gets done that the rich don't want) then drunkenness and drug use in general will be commonplace.

Credit should be a public utility, like borrowing a library book. Why do we leave it to private corporations known as banks, who charge interest on money they create out of nothing? Am I the only one who sees bankers as a parasitic class on society?

To the bankers I say: Get a real job! Do something that has value, and stop sucking the productivity of the world dry...

I see a world where habitual drug use and irresponsibility are a thing of the past, because society was engineered to allow opportunity for all, not special privilege for those who inherit it from thieves.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by 30_seconds]

I really do agree with your thinking but I think people have to take a certain level of personal responsibility too. I'll use myself and my hubby as an example, we both have been laid off for about 4 months now and our bills are piling up now, mortgage is late and we have a rather large family. I would love to have a escape from these daily problems but I certainly wont do it buy drinking or drug use.
You really do make some very valid points and I really like you last paragraph also, wouldn't that be a beautiful existence? I truly think it would.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
I fully support local police, state police, and sheriff depts drawing blood for BAC testing. I was stationed over in Germany back in the 80's, when it was still West and East Germany, and the polizei were allowed to forcefully withdraw blood from your body if they suspected you of driving under the influence. I think we should've done the same here in the U.S. back then, and still do today. I say "About Time!"

And what about those who have their blood forcefully drawn that are not drunk?

And how can you possibly support the rolling-up-and-smoking of our constitution?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by freeyourmind1111

It is easy to walk a line, touch your nose, and say our abc's, but it is impossible to trick the eye test or breathalyzer! You eyes will always twitch and jump when you are inebriated, but they may do it for other reasons as well, so that test is not definitive! Therefore, the eyetest leads to probable cause for the next step, breathalyzer! Now, if a blood test were an option at that point, the officer would have probable cause to give the blood test!

I still think it is B.S., and that the blood would invariably wind up in a database!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

A breathalyzer can be tricked by putting a fresh stick of gum in right when you are pulled over, taking a swig of mouth wash or by smoking a cigarette.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

And how can you possibly support the rolling-up-and-smoking of our constitution?

He doesn't. No one does.

They are just openly rationalizing this to themselves. They believe the process can be expedited by posting their rationalizations in an open-forum - and whilst this may help them cope with the reality of the situation, in the end it only makes it easier for more rights to be taken.

It is quite sad to watch.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

My biggest problem with this is simply the police will screw up! I was an army medic and we had to practice on each other before we could try it on others.Ever had a needle brake in your arm lets just say its not pleasant and i don't care to repeat those nightmares.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
drunk driving = death penalty

problems solved

[edit on 9/14/2009 by JPhish]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Chain of custody issues can usually get the evidence tossed. It is much easier to fight a case with a blood test as evidence, rather than a breathalyzer.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Now I've heard everything. This is about one of the most irresponsible ideas I've heard of in at least the past week.

Just on the basis of what LEO's are capable of with tasers and their guns, are we really going to trust them to stick needles in our arms and test our blood? What happens when this program is fully institutionalized and suddenly careless cops start reusing needles and people contract HIV? What happens when they break a needle in someone's arm? How long before the first minor gets a stick for talking about how they "are so buzzed" when they hardly even know what the phrase means and some power hungry principal has the school police start injecting the kid and his friends?

What's truly sad is to see the rationalization by some in order to make it easier to deal with.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

A breathalyzer can be tricked by putting a fresh stick of gum in right when you are pulled over, taking a swig of mouth wash or by smoking a cigarette.

Myth, myth and... myth.

None of those things will fool an official breathalyzer. The reason is pretty simple, when you breathe out a significant portion of the air comes from your stomach. Chewing gum or smoking a cigarette might cover up the smell, but it won't hide the alcohol in your system. Mouthwash will only make the results worse, as most brands contain alcohol.

I find it so terribly ironic that the people who seem to be in favor of imposing this authoritarian rule are also the people who are always claiming to uphold and respect the Constitution.

I guess you guys have never heard of the fourth amendment? Or does the Constitution only matter when it pertains to your agenda?

Republican/democrat, liberal/conservative; All fine by me. But the minute you start to advocate authoritarian government you lose my respect. This government was founded upon libertarian principles: principles all level-headed Americans should hold dear.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

Hmm I get my info from a law enforcement buddy and personal expireance. I could really care if you of all people believe me. I have long stop caring about your opinion of facts.

I will address the info about the mouth wash.

Its meant to make it worse. It masks the fact that you have been drinking.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This could turn out deadly for both civilians and police, not everyone wants there blood drawn, some will fight to the death before anyone gets to their blood.

I think it's bs... drawing blood at checks etc... and for cops to think this.

BOISE, Idaho — When police officer Darryll Dowell is on patrol in the southwestern Idaho city of Nampa, he'll pull up at a stoplight and usually start casing the vehicle. Nowadays, his eyes will also focus on the driver's arms, as he tries to search for a plump, bouncy vein.

"I was looking at people's arms and hands, thinking, 'I could draw from that,'" Dowell said.

Well, if they draw blood, one could say "They drew first blood, not me. "

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fae206384ba3.jpg[/atsimg]

Rambo: There wouldn't be no trouble except for that king sh@ cop! All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir.

Trautman: Well you did some pushing on your own John.

Rambo: They drew first blood, not me.

Trautman: Look Johnny, let me come in and get you the h@ll out of there!

Rambo: They drew first blood...

Trautman: Rambo, are you still reading me? Company leader to Raven! Rambo! Acknowledge!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Hmm I get my info from a law enforcement buddy and personal expireance. I could really care if you of all people believe me. I have long stop caring about your opinion of facts.

I just called a police officer that lives a few doors down. 3rd generation, been doing this police thing for a long time. I asked him about:

Its meant to make it worse. It masks the fact that you have been drinking.

He laughed. He told me that either you know a not-so-smart cop, or you have a very good friend who wants to ensure you get busted if you ever go out drinking and driving.

Which is basically what every LEO that I have ever known (coming from a family of them myself) has ever said. Using alcohol-based mouthwash to cover the smell of booze will in fact up your BrAC.

Unless... you use the fancy intoxalizers that detect mouthwash alcohols or you wait a good 15 minutes for the mouthwash alcohol to go away before you test them.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I went next door to my leo friends house just now and he said the same thing about your cop buddy.

See how that works.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Oh good, we agree. I like happy endings.

----

I'm still interested to see how in the 4th amendment, LEO's are legally able, let alone professionally qualified to operate a syringe for the extraction of human blood from their suspects.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure the 'free' state of California already has a law stating the police can forcibly draw blood on any motorist suspected of being intoxicated. A nurse does it at the station, though.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu A nurse does it at the station, though.

Well, as much as I disagree with the idea of it, I feel much more secure knowing that a qualified nurse is doing it than a random police officer. While the chance for a nurse to mess up, at least they have the training background and experience level to do so.

I don't drink, let alone drive and drink, however I am distrustful of the idea of blood being drawn with the potential for terrible things to use it for.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
When a cop tries to take one's blood like this, one is undoubtedly authorized to act in the best interests of the Constitution and it's Republic.

Thomas Jefferson wouldn't abide it and neither should any other American.

Think of the Youtube videos we're gonna watch in the first few days of the revolution...

*Ya'll don't think Americans have been buying all them guns and bullets for plinking did ya?

(I always bet on the revolution coming 'this year' and normally I lose. But this year I placed a bigger bet than usual. Celente is rarely wrong. )

[edit on 15-9-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Its not as if they are going to give them a blood sample kit and let them run wild without training.

A person can learn to draw blood in half an hour. Its not as if they are going to insert an IV. If that was the case they would need an hour to learn.

Germany allows their police to do this and it works very well.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join