It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Pathogens Live in Showerheads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I came across this and thought I would share.

dsc.discovery.com...

Sept. 14, 2009 -- It's warm and damp and dark -- the perfect place for bacteria to nestle and stay for a while.

It turns out that that's just what they do -- in your showerhead.

What's more, says a new study, the mucky film of microorganisms lining the inside of your showerhead often harbors bacteria that can cause lung disease, including a cough, fever, fatigue and weight loss.

These mycobacteria -- close relatives of the bacterium that causes tuberculosis -- can be more than 100 times more prevalent in showerheads than in the water in the pipes just upstream, a research team found.

As I was reading the article, I thought to myself "Well, I guess I'll go remove my shower heads and give 'em a good cleaning"....then I read this:

Disinfecting the showerhead might make things worse, the researchers found. They tried cleaning one showerhead with bleach and found that it carried even more mycobacteria after the cleaning than before.

Now, I've always been a shower person. BUT, I believe that I may have to switch over to baths. Oh what a pain...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
If they're inside your showerhead, then don't you think they're also inside your tub spiggot, sink faucet, etc? The best course of action for the germaphobe is probably to err on the side of caution and simply not bathe at all.

I file "news" items like this in the "We want you to always be afraid of something" folder. Seems like it's a contest among the MSM to see who can break the latest scare story first. For instance, how often have you been watching TV just before the late night news comes on and seen a preview of the news with a scare story leading the way? Everytime I see the preview for the news it's ALWAYS some variant of this: "Our ACTION NEWS SUPERTEAM FORCE DELTA discovered a common everyday item you probably have sitting in your livingroom right now could endanger your safety and may KILL YOUR CHILDREN!!! We'll tell you what it is and what to about it at 11." and then you sit there, fingernails in a pile of spit at your feet from worrying the last 13 minutes over what the hell is sitting somewhere in your home awaiting the perfect oportunity to jump out and cause your untimely death. Finally, after the top stories, weather outlook, quick sports minute, and two commercial blocks (with the caustic warning being used as a lead in to make sure you keep watching) some see ya next tuesday comes on and says that 4 children in the past decade years have accidentally esphyxiated themselves by sucking the protective plastic cover off brand new VCR LCD display windows into their esophagus because they had parents too stupid to realize those plastic sheets were to be removed after pruchase (not to mention too unattentive to notice Junior was felating the new VCR).

This is why I refuse to live my life in fear. It's what "They" want us to do and I believe in defying authority at all costs.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So just take off the shower-head and let it pour, kind of archaic, but, hey, we are about to enter a new stone age so who cares.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
What makes me laugh, is while you are sitting there watching and anticipating the outcome, you are being subjected to commercial after commercial. The news isn't about news anymore. It's one long commercial for this or that, for this star or that star.
The point is, if it was that important, you would have heard of it before or they would have broken into your regular broadcasting.
Lies, the whole lot of it.
Reclaim the space in your head, taken up by this malarkey.
God bless!!

Stay tuned, news at eleven!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well this is a first brainteaser! Imagine this now, were not safe in the tub anymore. I find that astoundingly 'weird', that bleach didnt kill the bateria, but made it worse! Everyone knows bleach will prety much kill anything! According to them, we have to entirely re write knowledge on bleach disinfecting now. Sounds to me, like anything with bleach in it, will cause this bacteria to multiply, not kill it! have we all been mis educated???
I have a shower filter i use, i got from crystalquest.com. Its a 2 stage filter. Thier are fitlers yuo can buy, tht have KDF in it, its zinc i belive, pellets, that use ion exchange to remove the clorine and contaminents. Youde want the KDF 55 material, its supopsed to be the best, AND KDF is known for killing and removing harmful bacteria. I wonder if they researched that too. I had read, hydrogen peroxide WILl kill viruses and bacteria on contact as well...maybe we are all better off cleaning our bathrooms with hydrogen peroxide not bleach?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
or could it be afterall..chlorine is not doing so well of a job disinfecting OUR drinking water afterall? Chlorine is BAD for you, especially int he shower, becaseu it turns to a gas form in hot water, and yuo breath it in.
Vinegar too...i seem to remember reading somewhere, vinegar is very good at disinfecting and killing bacteria. Thier are water firlters yuo can buy, with silver in them, but thier pricey, and made for normal filters, not shwoer filters. Silver is supposed to kill viruses and bacteria on contact.
About 3 or 4 years ago, i had purchased a shower filter made of KDF..rainshower i think it was. Indeed, i did notice within a week, scum did NOT buildup anymore on the tub, so that tells me it did its job in terms of controlling bacteria and ion exchange.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Ok I might be wrong but the chlorine in bleach the same stuff in our drinking water? So maybe the drinking water made a bug bleach will not work on?

top topics

join