It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kindle 2 Laser Etching

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is an awesome video that I found on YouTube and it actually got me wanting to get a Kindle 2 because of this (even though they are like way out of my current price range).

See, with clever marketing some ideas do look good

Does anyone have a kindle? do they work well? what about downloading papers and other print material?

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Greetings,

I just now saw your posting because here in Los Angeles County we are undergoing a heat wave, so I'm not online much until that's over. First off, here is a link to a thread I started on this topic in 2007:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Look before you leap on any Kindle purchase. Yes, there are advantages to even the first version of Kindle, and the latest Kindle has considerably improved over the earlier model. However ... there are significant DRM - digital rights mgmt - snafus to be aware of. Actually pretty depressing, some of it.

Within the above link. there are one or more sublinks to the writings of Ray Kurzweil, the noted futurist, on the subject of E-book readers. He was, as usual, way ahead of the crowd in noting advantages and disadvantages of E-book readers over traditional hard-copy printed reading materials. So it's good to be aware of his thinking before making a pro or con purchase decision on Kindle.

As my thread also suggests, be aware of local libraries in your area that might be willing to let you take out a test Kindle from their library at no charge to you. Librarians are also some of the world's greatest experts on DRM issues (they have to be), and would be happy to answer your DRM questions, and for free yet.

In addition, here is a link to an update on E-book readers from the New York Times personal technology writer, David Pogue:

www.nytimes.com...

There is also a link to a 2nd article on E-book readers on that page. Go to the right margin and look at the list of top technology stories. As of right now, the 2nd article on that topic is number 5 on the list.

[edit on 9/24/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I've had my kindle for about a year now. Although I love paper books, the kindle has its advantages. I can drop it in my purse and have a number of different books available. The downside is that some of my favorite authors do not provide their books in kindle format. Also I just noticed, I'm starting to get some screen bleed through.

join