It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Stone-age Axes Found In African Lake Basin

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse

The two last ones to the right arebig, and the last one is huge. A normal person couldn't carry that around, and much less have any strength left to lift it after running after their next meal. I think at least the last two axes show that there were giants in that area.

The age is not known for certainty. Larger hand axes were known from earlier ages. Also depending on the wear patterns the larger ones may have been hafted for use against some of the larger lake dwellers. To include Hippos. Which I believe in historic times were hunted with large spears used by multiple men.

Looking at these they seem more like 'old fashioned' hand axes which were used with two hands and where not fitted up as spears.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

like i said earlier, they are also very reminiscant of digging blades used by primative papuans.

Rhino hunting is extremely dangerous, there are other easier animals to hunt at the waterside.
what ever they were used for its
still really cool

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I would suggest it was for larger game, the size isnt that important so much as the location of the water basin in Botswnana. It supports the theory that hominoids followed water source as their way off the continent.

OP

The new research is the first time that this giant Botswanan lake basin in southern Africa has been the focus of scientific research, and these findings could provide new evidence to support the theory about a hominid migration through and expansion from Africa.

<< 1   >>

join