It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decoding & translating ogam.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2003 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Ogam is a script found in Ireland and Scotland, inscribed mostly on stone but also on bone, ivory, bronze and silver objects. It was used in Ireland from about 350 to 800 AD by the early Irish evangelists who brought Gnostic Christianity to the island, written from the bottom up. From about 750 AD to 900 AD the Benedictine monks also used it in their inscriptions and their book the Auraicept, but they wrote it from left to right.

More : Link

Translator : Link

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a fascinating topic. It's almost always spellt "ogham" (with an aitch and pronounced O- am, occasionally O-yam), cyberchums, if you want to go searching.
Scholars will tell you that it is almost entirely un-controversial but there's a great deal of speculation around: even suggestions that there are ogham records in North America.
Almost all of the letters of ogham bear the names of trees: elm, birch, willow and so on and since some of these trees are not native to the British Isles it's quite probable that the script originated in Europe before the Celts got as far West as they eventually did.
Most surviving examples are rather dull things denoting property boundaries or ownership; but if Druids are your thing: ogham is a good place to start.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I don't understand..."Gnostic Christianity" Wouldn't that be considered Evil by say the Roman Catholic Church? (Is this why the Roman Catholic Church is so dominant in Ireland?)

Maybe Gnosticism as a bad thing is only when being used for "freemasons" heh...but yeah I don't understand that....what is a "Gnostic Christianity"

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Hmm interesting...all these anti-freemasons call Freemasonry "Gnostic" and refer to it as meaning "Sex Worshippers" or some such thing.

It merely means "Knowledge"...so then, this has been a REALLY educational post to me...though in a much more odd way heh

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 02:20 AM
link   
It is very difficult to be sure of anything as far as Gnosticism is concerned: certainly it was considered to be a major heresy by the early church and one of the reasons we know so little about it is that the early church eradicated it so successfully. Indeed, almost everything that we can be sure of is found as quotations in anti-Gnostic writing.
I can think of no reason why some aspects of Gnosticism may not have reaced Ancient Britain: we certainly know from archaeology that Mithraism ( not entirely dissimilar) did.
As F-M points out: the name simply refers to "knowing" and the mainstream Christian gnostics were largely concerned with expounding a somewhat Manichaean dualistic Good v Evil view of the world with evil being dominant in the material world and with the OT being the work of an "evil" god. But, as I've said, there is very little that one can say with certainty about Gnosticism: it's origins could well be pre-Christian.
Since then the term has been (mis-)used so widely that it has become almost meaningless and is used to characterise just about anything that offers "revealed knowledge" and you'll find it linked to Buddha, Hinduism, Egyptian beliefs, Druidism and just about everything else.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Before I found this link, I didn't know what was an ogam.
But you Estragon, you're looking pretty aware on that matter.
I hope that the translator will help you, and if you have something to post on that matter, do it.

P.S : FM, you're allways seeing anti-FM peoples everywhere.We have Tyler who see FM everywhere and you who see anti-FM everywhere. Did you ever speak with him ?
It could be interesting.

posted on Feb, 17 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
FM, Gnosticism is an expression of the mystical side to christianity. As Estragon says it may well be pre-christian but it is not certain. Gnosticism was well practised across rennaissance Europe and this seems to be its most prominent point. There is evidence that points to such geniuses as Leonardo da Vinci having been Gnostics. Given the churches (at that time) love of heresy and the burning and torturing that went with it, its rather tricky to pin down exact facts.

I thought it rather odd that you have a name like Freemason and seem ignorant to the term Gnostic, since in my experience the two are very closely tied.

new topics

top topics

join