It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what I'm stocking up on, How about you?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, there are windup torches and radios available now and they will be lighter and usable for longer than any battery driven items.

A GREAT book for anyone to own is "Back to Eden" old book with many natural remedies, tree/plant identification, recipes etc. It was written by Jethro Kloss and when I bought my copy in New York in 1990 it cost me 3.99 as the price was being held "down" by the authors family and the publishers to make it more easily available and affordable! Definitely worth it!
edit on 16/2/11 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
If it hasn't been said yet, be sure to store bulk foodstuffs in food-grade containers. All that food isn't going to do anything for you if it's moldy, eaten by mice, spoiled, etc.

there are windup torches

For us Yanks on this side of the pond, "torches" mean "flashlights"...

edit on 18-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a lot of great ideas guys and gals, but lets not forget one thing, if you have dollar stores def check them out! they are great for cleaning supplies/candles/tylenol.ibuprofen....the one buy me had a great selection of diff types of peanuts/sunflower seeds, and all kinds of snacks. i just went this weekend and bought peanuts, they sell 6 packs of peanuts for a dollar, so i picked up 15 packs!

i have a good stockpile of canned salmon and tuna, mandarin oranges, soups.....etc. next plan of attack is stocking up on canned veggies, those breakfast/nutrition bars.

and i have already been storing water for a while now. i just really think its time to kick things in high gear i just really think something may happen soon and i dont want to be out at the stores when the SHTF.

seriously taking at least 100 bucks out of my next check for supplies.

edit**forgot to say i also got the protection i need, just need to stock up on ammo too
edit on 22-2-2011 by miss_sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jesus H Christ
reply to post by Alethea

Funny you should mention that. I am getting ready to plop down a few hundred dollars on some canned food. Mostly soups, spaghetti O's,green beans, corn, mixed veggis, etc. Most canned goods seem to last for several years.

Irecently ate a can of vegetable soup that was five years old and It tasted fine. I ate an MRE that was 14 yrs old and it was great.

I wouldnt waste the money on canned corn, it offers little if any nutritional value. Also I'd stock up on as much pickling salt as you can get, if you wont have any electricity for a prolonged time you'll be able to preserve meat by packing it in salt, those plastic storage bins are perfect for that. And for water if you'll be staying at home i'd look at starting a rainwater collection system buy a few plastic 55 gallon drums and a good hand pump water filter like Katadyn and replacement filters, run your gutter downspouts into the barrels, maybe even toss in some clean copper pipes into the barrels (copper helps purify water btw) and you'll be good for a long time on water unless your near a water source then i wouldn't worry too much and focus more on being able to transport the water from the water source to your home.

Also stock up on 2x4's, nails, 1 or 2 rolls of heavy mil plastic can be used for a ton of useful things,maybe even some 3/4" plywood incase you have to barracade your windows to keep looters out, measure your window openings take that list to Home Depot or Lowes and they'll cut them down to the sizes you need, oh and also dont forget Duct Tape. Also if you do ever have the need to barracade your home do it from the inside of the house it will be much more secure because you'll be able to put braces behind the plywood with kickers nailed to your floor. The plywood with 2x4's giving it much more support and if a looter wanted in he'd have to get through your window, then the reinforced plywood, would take much more time and you'd definately hear the intruder before he gets into your house giving you time to defend yourself.

Heck if you have a crawlspace under your house you can build an emergency exit in case you ever have the need to discreetly leave your home, but if you do that make sure it is done in a place thats not obvious like inside a closet or something, also disguise the cover to your emergency exit by gluing carpet over it so when you do leave and place the cover back over the opening if a looter opens your closet all he see's is a carpeted floor. That crawlspace would be a good place to store high value items also because not many people would think of crawling through a dark, spiderweb ridden place to find loot. There are so many things you can do to prepare and you'll still find out that your not fully prepared so you have to draw the line somewhere but just figured i'd give ya a few more ideas.

One more thing thats always good to have on hand is Paracord you can buy 1000' rolls from a military surplus store, its strong stuff and its cheap and has 100's of uses.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
I am stocking up on FAITH IT ALWAYS WORKS FOR ME (REALISTICALLY IN THE LAST DAYS NOONE SURVIVES THE 3 WOES READ ON IT AND GET FAITH.) 3 WOES REMEMBER ATSrz "JUDGMENT TIME IS UPON US ALL" AMEN ALL MEN

[edit on 9/14/09 by Ophiuchus 13]

I think this thread was meant for people living in the real world.

Originally posted by emayarsh
Well why would you even need all this stuff?
if something bad is going to happen surely you would wait to buy this stuff otherwise it would just be a waste of money really

I too am hoping this is a joke, but if not: Waiting to buy emergency supplies until AFTER an emergency happens is a terrible idea. You realize whenever a hurricane, tornado, severe snow/wind storm, etc happens stores usually sell out of all this stuff in like a day? Where are you going to buy it?

Anyway, it sounds like you have a good list going! Puts the amount of stuff I have to shame. I really need to get cracking on the food side of things, because in addition to probably about 100 cans of food, I just have some very basic staples at the moment:

I've got probably about 20lbs of oatmeal, another 15lbs of dried potatoes, 20lbs of flour, 10lbs cornmeal, all vacuum sealed in smaller sized bags, so I won't have to open a container that will spoil before I finish it off.

Which brings up a thing I don't think I've seen yet, is a vacuum sealer. I personally am giving up the idea of electricity and powered appliances once TSHTF, it seems like a waste of time and money that could be diverted to much more valuable things. But get a vacuum sealer now, to store things for when TSHTF. Along with some vacuum sealed food products I have, I also have the following in vacuum sealed bags:

Purchased two master packs/display cases of large bic lighters. I then sealed them all in 5-pack bunches. Took a long time, but like with the food I rather not compromise the entire sealed bag, but instead of smaller portions to open as I go. There is no problem with open air short term storage of butane lighters, but I've had a few with completely rusted over spark wheels in the past. Better safe than sorry, might as well keep them sealed.

Vacuum sealed 12ga(400rds) .22(4,500rds) and 9mm(350rds) That makes sure I have dry stable ammunition for my 870, 597, and Glock 17. I also have an IO Ak47 with a few hundred rounds of 7.62x39, but unfortunately don't have any large stockpile vacuum sealed since I used them up on my last shooting trip.

3 old wool military blankets that were my grandfathers. I hate using them because they are scratchy as hell, so I folded them up and sealed them in large bags. Makes sure I have some dry, intact blankets if things get bad.

I've purchased quite a few different fist aid boxes over the years, and did the same thing I did with the food, made a bunch of different small vacuum bags filled with the most common items, and other bags with more specialty stuff.

Duct tape. I have 13 large rolls of silver duct tape, 2 rolls of black gorilla tape, and 1 roll of reflective tape, each one in its own individual bag.

I've got some other random things here and there, but that's about it for my "stockpiling" of goods.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Sounds great. The only improvement i can think of is a long ranged gun,i would hate to see you get robbed buy someone just alittle out of the shotguns range,if they have a long range projectile.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by miracleretiree
Sounds great. The only improvement i can think of is a long ranged gun,i would hate to see you get robbed buy someone just alittle out of the shotguns range,if they have a long range projectile.

If money is an issue then just buy some Brenneke Slugs for the shotgun then you'll be able to reach out to 200 yards making the shotgun more versitile, plus slugs are great for hunting.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

I would add baking powder and baking soda, but now if I'm thinking correctly if there is no electricity you probably won't be baking too much bread. Well, you could make pancakes and tortillas with it. Powdered milk would be good, too. I have a lot of rice and dried beans but no flour. I just don't know how useful flour would be to me. It doesn't store well or for long and I see it as a bother, to be honest.Maybe someone out there can give me ideas of what to do with flour if there's no electricity. I have recently purchased Heirloom seeds to add to my survival stuff. Mosquito spray for sure!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
While canned food is great and all, I would strongly suggest that any of those interested in sustaining themselves invest in a few years worth of seeds. If it were to come to a situation where people live or die, there would be more than ample enough land to support people even in developed areas.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ClapOnKyle

Yes, seeds are so important. But don't vacuum seal seeds. I've read that they actually breathe. I have two large ziplock baggies of seeds in the bottom of my fridge where they stay almost frozen. And then I have several bags of sprouting seeds like broccoli and chia. I figure if I have to, I can just continually sprout them in a jar, and if I go somewhere with more land I can grow them the traditional way. Either way, they're good eats.

Native Americans used to use chia seeds to sustain themselves on long journeys. They'd put some in their mouth and chew them slowly over the day. They form a gel with your saliva (or any other liquid you put them in) and this can help keep you from getting dehydrated, because your body will use the water more slowly and it makes your belly feel more full.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I am so far behind lol.

Currently, since i still live in the city, i been focusing on stocking up on fresh water. what i would do is finish off those 2 liter bottles of soda, wash and rinse them out, then pour freshly boiled water from the tap in and stash it away in the closet. my mom doesnt really approve, thinking im being ridiculous over the whole thing but i got 16 liters stored away now and still climbing.

recently, i looked through the first aid kit.... gonna need more than guazes and pads and whatnow.... i dont think i got enough hydrogen peroxide.

i plan to stock up on alot of canned goods given i get the money and space together....

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

Vitamin C lots of vitamin C and Vitamin D3.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Mortimer452

Great Post, thanks!!

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join