It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian teen tossed from train loses leg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Indian teen tossed from train loses leg

www.cnn.com

NEW DELHI, India (CNN) -- Doctors had to amputate the leg of a 13-year-old snack vendor who was thrown off a moving train after he reportedly did not have money to bribe a guard, authorities said Sunday.

Part of Mohammed Salahuddin's leg was removed below the knee after it was badly damaged after the fall, said Amit Lodha, a railway police superintendent.

In August, Indian prime minister Manmohan Singh admitted his country was faced with "pervasive corruption".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

"The malaise of corruption, so sapping of our efforts to march ahead as a nation, should be treated immediately and effectively," Singh warned

Lest we think that a nation, our much older sibling, is immune from the corruption of greed and the oppression of the poor.

I have seen some comments lately about how evolved India is and how forward thinking their views about economic policy and civil rights are.

I know that India has long been plagued by prejudice and barbaric treatment of individuals thought to not be of sufficient lineage to even be worthy of speaking to.

If your plan is to move to India to avoid the lying, corruption and injustice that are present in America, I would recommend that you reconsider.

It's a nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd like to live there.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I have never heard an American say they want to move to India let alone to get away from corruption (which every country has). And just how is India our older sibling? Nothing we have here resembles India.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Lots of people fall off of Indian trains all the time.

I once spoke with an Englishman there who claimed he had just spent 8-weeks in an Indian hospital after falling asleep while leaning against an open door jamb on a moving Indian train. He said he awakened to find himself impailed on an iron fence railing ... yuck !!!

Anyway, my impression always was he was thrown off for some reason, but told the above story to avoid any further 'repercussions' ...

Even though, as a rule there are 'no rules' when westerners sojurn on the Indian subcontinent, the basic rule of survival always applies --

Pay Attention !

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I wouldn't move to India in search of a corruption-free state....I dont quite know who would do that as a matter of fact...But corruption is everywhere and its not going anywhere with the same people in positions of power (From the government all the way down to the police).

It wouldn't surprise me to see this guard get off scott-free and freed from jail after this case (if it is) reviewed.

Quite tragic for the boy...who was only trying to do his job...

[edit on 9/13/2009 by AceOfAces]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I want to move to Somalia so I can get away from the crime and corruption infested United States!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfAces
I wouldn't move to India in search of a corruption-free state....I dont quite know who would do that as a matter of fact...But corruption is everywhere and its not going anywhere with the same people in positions of power (From the government all the way down to the police).

It wouldn't surprise me to see this guard get off scott-free and freed from jail after this case (if it is) reviewed.

Quite tragic for the boy...who was only trying to do his job...

[edit on 9/13/2009 by AceOfAces]

It became my personall conviction after living there for a couple years, at least in the north, where I stayed, that westerners in general were 'automatic high brahmins ... even 'poor' western tourists were 'wealthy' beyond the 'average' Indian citizen's wildest dreams ...

Indian culture is very 'old school' -- those with the cash can do pretty much whatever they feel like ... just like everywhere else on this unfortunate planet ...

The positive part about living there, for me at any rate, is that a fundamental 'core value' in the Indian world view is that peace is always preferable to war ...

As an American this was for me, to say the least, a refreshing and much needed change of pace !

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

I have never heard an American say they want to move to India let alone to get away from corruption (which every country has). And just how is India our older sibling? Nothing we have here resembles India.

Well, my friend, I have. I can quote at least one on ATS in the last day, if you'd like, but that would eliminate some of the fun.

India is our older sibling in that they have had a 'civilized' society and have been a nation for a very long time. Yeah, we have different dialects, different hues to our skins, perhaps, and different customs and traditions, but all nations on this Earth, no matter how far removed from each other, and regardless of the length of their sovereignty, are siblings in a societal sense.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5a6b3b4f58a8.jpg[/atsimg]

Many cities in America have Hindu temples, such as this one, in Chicago.

Nothing we have here resembles India.

A simple look around, my friend, and not only will you find structures built to accommodate Indian immigrants to this nation and their social and religious practices, but if you are willing to look deeper, you will find many aspects of our current society and even our history influenced by India.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Well, my friend, I have. I can quote at least one on ATS in the last day, if you'd like, but that would eliminate some of the fun.

If you thought it would be a good idea to move to India to get away from corruption, then you are just ignorant and I cannot help you there. It should be common knowledge that India is very corrupt and has much more problems than your sheltered American mind can comprehend.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by KSPigpen

If you thought it would be a good idea to move to India to get away from corruption, then you are just ignorant and I cannot help you there. It should be common knowledge that India is very corrupt and has much more problems than your sheltered American mind can comprehend.

Never have I said it was a good idea to move to India. Please, if you feel obligated to spew your negativity, at least read the posts and follow your own line of conversation.

I am certainly not asking for any help from you and yes, it SHOULD be common knowledge that India is is very corrupt. Of that you will get no argument from me. The Op spelled it out pretty clear. I have HEARD people claim THEY wanted to move to India. I am quite content to ride the storm out here, thank you.

I will take my insult-wielding, self-righteous, holier than though fellow Americans any day.

I have never heard an American say they want to move to India let alone to get away from corruption (which every country has).

was your statement.

Was my reply. if you don't want to follow along, or go through the trouble of reading the posts, you won't hurt my feelings if you just save yourself the effort involved in replying.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
My father always used to say "In India you will find the best person in the entire planet and the worst person on the planet"

However good people far outweigh the bad, mostly because indian people are highly family oriented, perhaps more than any other country on this globe.

It is the most secular country in the world too.

For those saying that India is corrupt, well yes it is, of course.

But you can live your entire life there and not even be a victim of corruption, you can avoid it.

An overwhelming number of people don't even pay taxes, which americans have to deal with on a daily basis, there are very good cops there and cops that are useless and that will take a bribe for anything, usually this bad cop is someone with no family just maybe an orphan and didn't grow up around a loving family, this is my observation.

For me it's the best place in the world and there is no other place on earth with as much freedom as in India.

The only problem, for me, is good running water.
Many indians have reverse osmosis to tackle this issue.
Anytime any indian goes out he makes sure he eats clean, if he goes out for a drink he even makes sure the ice cubes are from filtered water.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
hhmmm, and SlumDog Millionaire made India look so light and carefree, ....

anyway, I'm sure this kid has a long future in telemarketing.

new topics

top topics

join