It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'

www.telegraph .co.uk

A British film about Charles Darwin has failed to find a US distributor because his theory of evolution is too controversial for American audiences, according to its producer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Wow... Just wow...

I really don't know what to say, this is just incredible. Is the US really that messed up?

according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

39%!!!!!!!!!!!! That statistic scares me a LOT, forget about evolution people, devolution is the real issue here.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

As for this quote, I'm just astonished, who ever wrote this is insane. Does science mean nothing to these Christian nutjobs?

To think this is only a film to... Imagine what would happen if Darwin was alive today... Scary, scary, scary.

www.telegraph .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Haven't been to America lately, have you? It's really a sad state of affairs. They're about 2 communion wafers away from a book burning on a good day.

I'm sure a Canadian broadcaster will pick it up if it's offered to us, there's lots of programmes like that always on

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I am officially embarrassed as a proud American.

The biggest problem in this country is ignorance, complete absence of information.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by refuse_orders

Ye gods I wish people would allow themselves to notice that evolution and the idea that we were created need not be at conflict with each other. My what fools we morttals be.................

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

As for this quote, I'm just astonished, who ever wrote this is insane. Does science mean nothing to these Christian nutjobs?

Most of the big Christian churches are just mouthpieces for political parties. They aren't real Christians they are what i call false Christians. A person can believe in evolution and god you don't have to choose.

Our criminal gov't in fact uses false Christians to help imprison the population by using Clergy response teams and Romans 13. Watch this news broadcast video and you'll see.

Not all Christians are warmongers just like not all Jews are zionists they just have corrupted leaders in the movement. Many Atheists also have corrupted leadership that instead of god as their cause global warming and carbon taxes is their agenda.

Lastly it is to note that Darwin was not an Atheist
Wiki-Darwin

Though reticent about his religious views, in 1879 he responded that he had never been an atheist in the sense of denying the existence of a God, and that generally “an Agnostic would be the more correct description of my state of mind.”[78]

There is mention that he went back to Christianity on his death bed but that has been disputed so we can never know but it is certain that he was no Atheist.

The powers that be want everyone fighting each other that is why you never hear people talking about believing in creation and evolution at the same time. I know the world isn't just 4000 years old or w/e and i know a ton of Christians that don't believe that the media just puts the extreme people on.

We all just need to get along and calm the rhetoric despite controlled media outlets putting out info like this telegraph article to enrage people and cause more hate.

We are all human after all.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Im not buying it, Im sure they could find a distributor, maybe because the film is garbage. Remember the producer said they couldnt find a distributor. Anyway who cares, its just a movie, I really dont think people would be freaking out about a movie.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
It'll get here eventually. It'll be straight to DVD though. They probably just gonna have too go with one of te smaer ones. Maybe Anchor Bay?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Aye, I am a Christian, but I still believe in evolution. It is practically proven and depending on how you interpret the Bible it can work with what is written.

So not ALL Christians, and I would argue not even most (In the UK here) think that evolution is false.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I can really tell your ignorance. Ayup, Ayup. Y'all never read any of his books, you just go by what the propagandists say. Darwin was convinced that the dark blacks were the lowest humans and it went upwards to the light skinned Europeans.

What we know now through DNA research, archeology & other sciences tends to give the theory of evolution a poor rating. Sure there is evolving in species but Darwin had his own agenda and blew evolution way out of proportion to the facts.

Don't give America a bum rap through your inability to read & research.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Doctor G]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

I was not trying to have a dig at all Christians, sorry if it came off like that. I know its not all of you guys who think this way, I come from a Christian family, they accept evolution.

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doctor G
I can really tell your ignorance. Ayup, Ayup. Y'all never read any of his books, you just go by what the propagandists say. Darwin was convinced that the dark blacks were the lowest humans and it went upwards to the light skinned Europeans.

What we know now through DNA research, archeology & other sciences tends to give the theory of evolution a poor rating. Sure there is evolving in species but Darwin had his own agenda and blew evolution way out of proportion to the facts.

Don't give America a bum rap through your inability to read & research.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Doctor G]

You have less than no idea what you're talking about.

"Y'all" better go back to school.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
You guys don't reall believe that is the reason the US distributors passed on this movie do you?

Tell me if its because putting down religion is taboo in the movie industry why do we have these films?

www.lionsgate.com...

www.imdb.com...

www.snopes.com...

This is probably just a bad foreign movie that a distributor didn't want to pick up, so they are trying to make some headlines so that more people will watch it.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Evolution is the biggest conspiracy/scam ever perpetrated on the public.
It's impossible for even one branch of evolution, let alone the thousands of parallel evolutions that would have had to take place for us to have the thousands of so called evolved species.

Remember, It's government funded scientists that are the evolutionists. They believe in evolution because that's where the money is, and they don't have to accept accountability to a creator for their actions and deeds.

Also remember, it's the government funded scientists that revived or cloned the Spanish flu. Just another retarded move by morons that won't accept the obvious I.D. from a creator.

However, I would like the video to be shown here in North America so creation scientists can debunk it.

[edit on 12/9/09 by John Matrix]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by refuse_orders

Wow... Just wow...

I really don't know what to say, this is just incredible. Is the US really that messed up?

Nope, it isn't "messed up" it's just FED UP with Darwinism and Science is a lot bigger than chuck Darwin, so don't go makeing sweeping conclusions that is how America sits with all science. Most here are wondering how it ever got to be called science in the first place.

You want to debate me on darwin fine I know a LOT about the man and his hypothesis people still seem to think is a theory.

according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

39%!!!!!!!!!!!! That statistic scares me a LOT, forget about evolution people, devolution is the real issue here.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/300d9d18c4bb.jpg[/atsimg]

Many in the medical field don't buy it anymore and The 17 countries represented are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Finland, Germany, Ghana, India, Italy, Serbia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and the United States.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated

Mmmm other than Darwin being a racist, the rest of that is true. Social Darwinism was a big deal to adolf

Evolution isn't science, Science is Science, the are not synonymous
The only part of Darwin, Christians reject is DME and for good reason. I haven't seen an argument for DME yet that I couldn't use the scientific method against the same way Darwinists use it against ID. They both fail the logical fallacy for assuming the consequent every time.

To think this is only a film to... Imagine what would happen if Darwin was alive today... Scary, scary, scary.

Who cares, the guy was no big deal in fact he stole his theory from a creationist. FACT

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by muggl3z
I am officially embarrassed as a proud American.

The biggest problem in this country is ignorance, complete absence of information.

Really? wanna go at me? lets see how smart you are about ole chuckies so called theory

+19 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
However, I would like the video to be shown here in North America so creation scientists can debunk it.

Creation... scientist.. oww the irony makes my brain bleed. There are people who call themselves creation scientists? Do they go to confession and ask forgiveness for lying to themselves and their peers when they do it?

Creation scientists.. ya and I'd like you to meet my friend the morbidly obese Olympic track coach.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus

Originally posted by John Matrix

Creation... scientist.. oww the irony makes my brain bleed. There are people who call themselves creation scientists? Do they go to confession and ask forgiveness for lying to themselves and their peers when they do it?

Creation scientists.. ya and I'd like you to meet my friend the morbidly obese Olympic track coach.

If you can refrain from the childish meanderings of the typical Darwinist tactics of Ridicule and debate John Matrix like an adult, Ill bet you won't come out looking so smug. Care to try?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
A friendly reminder to stay on topic as well as a reminder that personal attacks are not a way to win an argument.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I don't believe this as the official reason for not releasing the movie here in America. I found this good explanation as to why people continue to deny evolution.

When one considers the sources of America's denial of evolution, the first thing that likely comes to mind is Christian fundamentalism. According to Michigan State University professor, Jon Miller, "American Protestantism is more fundamentalist than anybody except perhaps the Islamic fundamentalist, which is why Turkey and we are so close" (LiveScience).
Far too often, the media, and even many scientists, refuse to point the finger at religious fundamentalism. We are taught that we must respect religious beliefs, and a surprising number of scientists adopt the position that science and religion are two mutually exclusive domains which should not poach each other's subject matter.

In addition to religious fundamentalism, poor scientific literacy is a relevant contributing factor. Simply put, if the American educational system continues to turn out children who lack a solid science education, it is reasonable to expect that Americans will remain vulnerable to pseudoscience and other forms of misinformation. Facing tremendous pressure from vocal parent groups, many high schools water down their science curricula to the point where students are unlikely to learn the basics they will need.

Partisan politics appears to be yet another factor contributing to evolution denial in America. A surprising 70% of Republicans deny evolution, and the lead up to the 2008 election has revealed a number of Republican candidates willingly to publicly proclaim their rejection of evolution. If nothing else, this suggests that they do not fear being laughed out of the room for making such absurd statements.

www.atheistrev.com...

I would agree with it for the most part. I think it's mainly people who are too partisan and people who are too religious that are afraid to have anything that conflicts with their religious views that is evolution.

People just here don't want to learn the facts and this is something that makes me ashamed to be an American at times.

I believe the matter to be a partisan one where people just aren't open to science. Darin wasn't an atheist himself either. In fact he was an agnostic:

www.religioustolerance.org...

And he wasn't advocating atheism. All his theory was really advocating was that animals change over time... which I don't think anyone would deny.

Another thing, people look at humans and say oh look we're not getting more advance so we must not be evolving- evolution has nothing to do with quality! It just means CHANGE.

‘Survival of the fittest’ is a concept that is often misunderstood. It does not imply any ‘quality judgment’. In fact it is not even what Darwin said, his version was ‘survival of the best fitted’ … to their environment. The evolution of a species does not always lead to a more complicated version either - look at the barnacle parasites of crabs! These creatures evolved from shrimp-like ancestors to become parasites that look rather like blobs of jelly.

Read more: fishinsects.suite101.com...

fishinsects.suite101.com...

And last but not least, I would like to differentiate between social darwinism and evolution. This is why people hate evolution- it's because they don't understand it:

Social Darwinism

Social Darwinism is a belief, popular in the late Victorian era in England, America, and elsewhere, which states that the strongest or fittest should survive and flourish in society, while the weak and unfit should be allowed to die. The theory was chiefly expounded by Herbert Spencer, whose ethical philosophies always held an elitist view and received a boost from the application of Darwinian ideas such as adaptation and natural selection.
Spencer and Social Darwinism

Herbert Spencer, the father of Social Darwinism as an ethical theory, was thinking in terms of elitist, "might makes right" sorts of views long before Darwin published his theory. However, Spencer quickly adapted Darwinian ideas to his own ethical theories. The concept of adaptation allowed him to claim that the rich and powerful were better adapted to the social and economic climate of the time, and the concept of natural selection allowed him to argue that it was natural, normal, and proper for the strong to thrive at the expense of the weak. After all, he claimed, that is exactly what goes on in nature every day.

However, Spencer did not just present his theories as placing humans on a parallel with nature. Not only was survival of the fittest natural, but it was also morally correct. Indeed, some extreme Social Darwinists argued that it was morally incorrect to assist those weaker than oneself, since that would be promoting the survival and possible reproduction of someone who was fundamentally unfit.

library.thinkquest.org...

Alright, that's all for now... I hope that clears up a few things to the anti-evolution people and to the people wondering why people are so confused about this.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Frankidealist35]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join