It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Do the United States of America, and Her People, Fear about the Metric System?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Hello, all.

I was contemplating the fact that the USA has continually resisted adopting the Metric System for so long now, I began to wonder what motivates such resistance.

Thinking it might have a somewhat tenuous connection to fears of NWO, I decided this might be a Forum for the discussion. Like to know what others think.

I vaguely remember in the 1970s (was it the Carter years??) some talk of imminent implementation of Metric into American society, but obviously it was stopped dead in its tracks.

Today, everywhere you look, it's all around. Well, except for a few obvious places (Highway signs, for instance).

BUT, the automobile speedometers, most consumer packaging of foodstuffs, etc.

The USA is behind even Great Britain in this regard.

I say, why not as old highway signs are replaced, have them already show the metric equivalent?? Like I said, it's already on milk cartons......

Within two generations, at the most, it will become second nature, just as feet, pounds and miles are to us today.

(One exception: Aviation and Maritime units of measurement. International Standards are already established and in use).

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I don't fear it.

I've also heard talk of how they are going to start using the metric systems in schools. So we learned the metric system in some classes, but thats about it. We never actually used it after that.

.95 cm is easier than 3/8's for me.

Talking about 16th's gets me crazy.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by weedwhacker

If it isn't broke why fix it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's fine for banking but not for astronomy, quantum physics, higher education subjects.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

That's just it, WITS...our (I'm USA) is currently broken. OR, at the very least, incredibly cumbersome.

Mental gymnastics are needed, just to use a recipe (if you cook) for example, and want to adjust for different serving sizes.

That's just one practical real-world everyone-can-understand place where Metrics would be better.

AND, there would be an entirely new area, for a while, of new products and services to stimulate the economy...all of the new measuring devices and stuff to be built. And sold. People will eventually be able to think equally well in both systems, it just takes a time of transition and familiarity.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
BUT, again I thought of this in the context of NWO fears.

Is there any sort of validity to the idea that the people of the USA feel it is somehow better to be different as a resistance tactic to NWO?

Or, is this completely irrelevant?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I think it might be more expensive then you think to do the convergence. There was something I came across the other day that I was thinking that changing to the metric system would be really expensive. But my tired little brain won't think of it.

It is not just street signs, it all the machinery modifications.

But does it need to be done? I think so.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
if we were to adopt a metric system it would turn construction upside down. New equiptment would be necessary, the standard codes would be completely rewritten, workers would have to learn a whole new system and companies that provide material would have to learn the same new system as well..maybe its a good time for that since new home construction is down but either way it would be an enduring process and many potentially hazardous buildings would be erected along the way.
Not that it couldnt be done, its just like any change most wouldnt like it and it wouldnt be a smooth process.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
While i am not an American and should not be discussing it, i can still beg. Pleeeease change it!!! Another trillion here or there ,what does it matter.

I am still having nightmares from my encounter with vicious pounds and evil gallons.
Pretty please?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I am actually a mechanical Inspector for a company here is USA, and all I can say is that, we Americans just hate change, I have seen the metric system come my way and all that I seen was that our customers and we ourselves hated the change, thats it!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Most of us in the UK dislike the metric system, nothing to do with NWO more about losing identity and being dictated to.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Didn't say it wouldn't be expensive...actually, it doesn't have to be, if done gradually. AND I think it could actually be a stimulus.

Consider the Automotive Industry. Auto mechanics probably have to have a complete DOUBLE set of tools, right now, because of the Foreign manufacturers, and the fact that they're built with Metric components. So, that's the opposite of stimulus...I suppose we can later use the big 1 1/2-inch wrenches as clubs to fight the NWO

[edit on 12 September 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Thanks dizzylizzy, and Earthquake too.

I forgot to mention I was hoping for input from across the Pond, both pro and con.

How about DownUnder as well? I think they're fully Metric, but not certain IF and WHEN.

I realize it will affect just about every aspect, but still...IF it is at least made more common, it will gradually become acceptable.

Guess there may NOT be a NWO aspect to this, after all?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
We had similar opposition here in Oz to a change to metric that was eventually implemented way back in the 70s. There was even opposition to the changeover to decimal currency and that happened in '66 here. Both changes have worked out well for us although old diehards like me have become multilingual in units (I still convert my car's economy to mpg for example because that's what I grew up with).

It's simply that people are worried about changing anything from what they're used to. A decade or so after biting the bullet and introducing the changes you'll all be wondering what the fuss was all about

Metric does make things easier all round.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

well i think it would be more of an NWOish type of move to suddenly have the US using the same system of measurement as other countries because we have been using what we are using for so long. Im sure if it did happen it would probably throw up some red flags. But i would think that would follow along with us all using the same type of currency, ID, etc.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by weedwhacker

I do agree our country is broken but I think that changing to the metric system is superfical at best. And the other posters brought up some good points: 1)We do fear change *look at the presidental BS*. 2)Alot of high dollar manufacturing equipment would have to be changed at most likely high cost.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
We had similar opposition here in Oz to a change to metric that was eventually implemented way back in the 70s. There was even opposition to the changeover to decimal currency and that happened in '66 here. Both changes have worked out well for us although old diehards like me have become multilingual in units (I still convert my car's economy to mpg for example because that's what I grew up with).

It's simply that people are worried about changing anything from what they're used to. A decade or so after biting the bullet and introducing the changes you'll all be wondering what the fuss was all about

Metric does make things easier all round.

I agree. I was a kid when it changed but it didn't really bother me. At 40 I still think of people in 'feet' for height but the rest doesn't matter. Most countries have metric - I can't see what the big deal is personally. The US should really have done it long ago.

According to the US CIA World Factbook in 2006, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations except for Burma, Liberia, and the United States

Check this map. Pretty much the whole globes uses metric.

Map of metric using countries

[edit on 12-9-2009 by swinggal]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I travel quite a bit and am comfortable with metric. It really isn't a problem to use either, but the folks at home use the old system. It is comfortable and familiar.

Change for the sake of progress is fine if it is voluntary, being bi-lingual when it comes to units of measure is really no issue when you need to use it but to change the way people live their lives and impose it upon them because it is 'better' just makes them mad.

It is not fear of the NWO.

It is a desire to hold on to who we are. Every time we turn around, somebody is trying to redefine us and tell us how to live. They usually insult us by portraying how we have lived in the worst possible light to win their argument. People get fed up. They want to be left alone to live their lives not keep up with the 'latest' because somebody elses says it is better.

It is human nature. We're tired of being told we're wrong so that somebody else can be 'more right.'

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

What is it about the metric system that you don't like?
second line

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Actually I think all the tools already come with both sets of numbers on them. More cost effective for the makers that way.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join