It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Images of Tehran, Iran (May shock)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I know a few people who come from Iran, their families got out at the time of the Islamic revolution. The all refer to themselves as Persian and hate Ahmedinejad with a vengeance. He is the one who needs to be booted out, but it should have been done already. We (the West) should have helped the Iranian people at the time of the protests surrounding the election. Not one of our politicians even said anything supportive, never mind actually helping them.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Great post. Just goes to show....it is not the regular folk who are evil....it's the world's governments.

To quote Savage....we went from neocons to neocomms with Obama.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by PenandSword]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If these pictures shock some folks, I'm somewhat concerned about the lack of knowledge of foreign countries. Ignorance and bliss and all that I suppose. What... did folks think it was all a desert, and the inhabitants lived in sandstone caves?

They are advanced, civil, and most of the civilians are just like anyone else you might meet in the States. They like a good time, they obviously don't like war any more than you or I would.

But a countries people doesn't necessarily reflect their government. Iran hates plenty of countries, and having nuclear weapons makes it a scary affair. If you want a good example of a country where you wouldn't expect such atrocities by looking at the people and the land... just check out the ol' U.S. of A.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Although relatively well travelled I am guilty of having a bit of a stereotypical view. Or atleast I had a stereotypical view. I guess I've always been interested in what these places were really like but never spent more than a couple of minutes thinking about it.

You're completely right though, it's pretty sad that some of us are inflenced like this. As always I'll find a way to pass the book (buck?) on to society or the MSM :-)

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well, this is a reason why so many people's reactions and attitudes just absolutely puzzle me. I judge each person solely on their own merit. I could care less if they were from here, Iran, Korea, Russia, or the moon. After 9/11, I was shocked and saddened by people's reactions towards anyone of mid-eastern descent. I never understood prejudice and hate towards others.

I think in this world, most humans are interested in a few things: safety, food, shelter... they want children, to raise them safely, and enjoy life as much as they can, with what they have available. Even those in poorer countries - they are not depressed and sad and wanting to die in a hole. Small village in Africa are housed with honest, simple folk who enjoy life.

It's a pity that governments and radical groups give such a bad name to the people of the world. Between that and religion, it's enough to keep the world at arms for a long time to come. When I was in South Korea, I had such a good time. For a year, I went out into the cities, I went fishing out in the country (by myself.. the Koreans looked at me as if I was an alien from another planet, but they were very friendly), and I really enjoyed the regular people of that country. Same with Germany, Japan, etc. Anywhere I have been, bottom line... people just want to be safe, have fun, enjoy life.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bettermakings
The Iranian government is very evil.

I could say the same about the U.S.'s government. Certainly since it's adopted many of the practices of Nazi Germany since the inception of the Homeland Security Department. It has minimally persecuted it's own people, the laws are now in place to allow them to do so. And it may not be long since this vaccination agenda has been put forth.

... if you're not a Shiite Muslim who follows all the insane laws and support Khomaini & Ahmadinejad, you will be persecuted. . . .

Not at all like those who disagree with what the American government has been doing in regards to those who disagree with the inherent violations of our Constitution in the past few year, huh? I mean, they're not labeling people with those mentalities "Domestic Threats" or anything.

Iran's government should be more like Turkey's, because the people are secular. Instead the government is more like Saudi Arabia, with strict religious Islamic law.

I agree that people should be allow to live and worship as they see fit. And as long as they're not causing an uprising or massive unrest, oh say like the RNC a few years ago where American protesters were gassed and detained by local law enforcement, then there should be no problem.

Don't get me wrong. There are vast differences between our government and Irans. But, there is vast difference in our culture as well that plays a big part in daily lives. If you notice in the slide show, nearly all the women had their heads wrapped in their hi jabs. This is very common. It's not a sign of persecution, like some uneducated women here in the states might see it. Our cultures are very different. Just like our religions. People in the Middle East have been warring over religious differences long before American was discovered, let alone founded.

Look at what happened in Iraq. It went to crap after the U.S. invasion. Sure, Saddam was crazy. He used chemical weapons on his own people. It was a regime that was ruled with a tight fist. But, people lived in peace of decades under his rule. When we liberated it, there was no one to keep the peace any longer. The ethnic and religious differences go back thousands of years and who are we to say that we could help them build a better nation if spread some of our "Democracy" to them.

People can't forget: The only reason Iran is considered "evil" to our government is because of it's nuclear ambitions. It's not because it persecutes those that disagree with their government, or because they're gay, or because they practice a different religion. Our government could care less. Its because they're attempting to build an energy source that could replace the natural gas and oil that power their country. Which is pretty stupid considering the U.S. is trying to do the exact same thing. It just so happens that we already have nuclear technology.

What do you think the U.S. would do if Iran had zero-point energy and was trying to tell America that could can't develop it. Do you think we'd stop trying just because they said so? OK, now imagine Iran had invaded Mexico and Canada and didn't like the U.S. government either because they were trying to develop zero-point energy and the kept proclaiming to the world that it was only so we could build a weapon. I wonder if the U.S. would be funneling money and weapons into Canada and Mexico to help those "Insurgent" fight those evil bastards that invaded their country.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by tyranny22]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Good post! I know a family here in the Indianapolis area that are originally from Iran (or as they prefer to call it, Persia). They are the most friendly, kind people you'd ever care to know.

The father, passed away four years ago. He was a friend of mine and was highly intelligent. He retired from IBM and we found discussion of ancient history a pleasant topic since we both enjoyed the subject. He, as many there was not Islamic. Many in Iran practice numerous religions.

It is truly sad that the corrupt American government is hell-bent on starting a Zionist-based war to destroy these lovely people. Look at what we’ve done to the people of Iraq for no good reason. This nation has a lot of innocent blood on it’s hands.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I notice how the fact it is westernized impacts all of you. I just want to add a point.

I feel that each person has the right to live as he/she wishes and just because their thought tunnels and societies do not correspond with ours does not give us the right to deem them as wrong or warped. We must learn how to socially evolve as a whole instead of discriminating and finding a master race, because I'm sure you can all agree with me here, our society is far from perfect itself!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I totally agree, star.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

wow, Tehran is beautiful. The coming war will be a shame, and I can only hope the perpetrators of the war will be dished out their own serving of Kosmic Karma

Thanks for the beautiful pics

S&F

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
They may have nice cars, bridges, fountains but it still doesn't change the fact that their society still holds to backward beliefs and they're treating women like s**t. No thanks, I would never-ever wish to go to Iran and no nice pictures of this or that would convince me otherwise. They're to put it simply, a mildly-fascist state.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Persian women are some of the most beautiful things on Earth, next to irish girls, of course!!!

The scenery isn't bad either. Hope to visit there someday, in an unofficial capacity only.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I love Iran, the seasons are beautiful, the people are loving, and their architecture is modern. why invade? no other reason than war. why war? war is something to keep us stupid.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

I know you didn't mean it this way at all, and with respect I say, so what if Iraq looks the way it does. Doesn't mean it's more acceptable to drop bombs on villages.

OP thank you so much for this!

I look at these images and I imagine, as I think everyone should no matter how disturbing it is, what that exact picture from that exact angle of that exact location and of those exact people would look like if we or Israel bombed Iran.

It saddens me that people in America are willing to let these people in these photos pay with their lives for the actions of their government. There are good, decent people in Iran who want the country to move forward and they, like us in America, are in the middle of a culture war.

So, is it okay to chalk these people's deaths up to "collateral damage" because their government is run by a bunch of religious extremists?

Would it be okay for a country to bomb our cities because of the corrupt actions of our government? Would you be okay with the other countries chalking up the death of your loved ones to "collateral damage" because our government "deserved" to be "dealt with"?

Tell those little children in those photos that their parents deaths were necessary to stop a religious zealot.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackShark

But there are people in Iran trying to reverse thousands of years of religious beliefs.

Remember that America is fairly new at woman's rights. It was less than a hundred years ago that we FINALLY realized that a woman's political opinion mattered to the point of ALLOWING her to vote.

It used to be that wife abuse wasn't even punished. A woman deserved what she got if she displeased her husband.

It was less than 50 years ago that we realized that it's okay for a white person to sit in the same room with a black person.

It takes time to undo hundreds and even thousands of years of beliefs. It doesn't just happen overnight. Iran is already much more "lax" in their policies than they were, say, 50 years ago. Just like us.

Are they where they should be yet? Hell no. But it will happen. It won't if we undo years of progress by turning Iran into a war torn country.

Look at what happened to Iraq. The religious extremists got worse after we invaded.

What I believe we SHOULD be doing is promoting education and political activism there. Not threatening to blow them up thereby causing the leaders to feel cornered which leads to some very rash decisions. Change starts with the people. Very, very rarely does it ever start with another country forcing another government to change it's ways.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

You really need a reminder for that?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
These pictures are amazing. I will say that anyone who believes everything that the media say's are dumba$$'s. Pardon my language. But I will also say that you can make anyplace look like a magnificant place to visit/live/etc. I lived in Virginia for 18 years and never really got to see all the great things that were portrayed on those stupid commercials. The "Virginia is for lovers" commercials trying to bring in tourism. But again, you can't base everything about a place by what you see on TV. Every place has its own unique quality about it.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackShark
They may have nice cars, bridges, fountains but it still doesn't change the fact that their society still holds to backward beliefs and they're treating women like s**t. No thanks, I would never-ever wish to go to Iran and no nice pictures of this or that would convince me otherwise. They're to put it simply, a mildly-fascist state.

Oh, yeah? And what is the good 'ol USA? Do you even understand what a "fascist state" is? Look around you, smell the coffee, friend. This country is about as "backward" as you can get, in so many ways. Knee-jerk reactionaries have just about bankrupted this once great nation, with never-ending wars, fought for no damned good reason.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
"I had no idea;this is a beautiful place;what a beautiful area;PICS DON"T LOOK EVEL"I think the thing that shocks me worse then the pics is the fact the very people that make rash statments about an area and a situation (like bomb the hell out of them)don't educate themselfs any better then to not even know what this place LOOKS like.

Its not the land or the beautiful people that become evel,its there apathetic complacency that alows evel to take them over when they least expect it.When all seems well, evel is well off.Think about it...............America!Our freedom is not free,we must be ever vigalint.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

I know. Can you imagine what is going through those people in those photos mind's when they think about all the rhetoric coming from America and Isreal threatening to drop bombs on them?

They must be scared crapless.

Maybe as scared as Americans get when another country threatens to drop a bomb on us. Except a lot of know when another country is blowing hot air. Iran has every reason to believe we will do what we say or let Israel do it. Iraq is all the proof any of these countries need.

When I think of this. I realize it's no wonder they feel the pressing need to build weapons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join