It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't copy that floppy 2 (propaganda)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...
hhahaha people like that,i nominate for a new pope who ever did this

btw raymond raving rabbids its an example of a game i would pay for,even if it was piratable.i dont know...but its a great game..the kinda art that deserve to get payd

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus
Charging for digital ones and zeroes in a digital world will be as difficult as charging for sand in a desert.

But copying has been going on since tape was invented, and movie copying since video recorders were invented. Digital doesn't really change things, except for the internet making it easier to find what you want. But people still used to buy records and CDs and stuff even though they could just tape them, and there was no protection. There's something nice about owning the proper item in its proper box etc. and as long as you're not ripping people off, there will always be people who are happy to pay for it.

Oh, and your example of upping the price and so on is representing everything wrong with the system.

Absolutely, and this is where the problem stems from.

Originally posted by TrevlacThere's a real problem: people do not like to pay for infinitely copyable goods with 100% margin on them.

But they don't HAVE a 100% margin on them. Have you ever paid $40 million for a movie?

Imagine how much money you could make if you would switch to consulting and charging for spreading the knowledge how to create great renderings instead of delivering a digital product that will be copied by everybody anyway.

...and who the hell is going to pay him for that 'service' if they can't make any money out of it? Who is going to create cool stuff if everybody switches to 'consulting'?

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
did u see the end of the video,they want us to report piracy to win up to 10 000 000.
yea right more like 50 bucks and the feeling that you sold out all the free people in this world

theyr stupid if they think theyr going to do anything with this,its insulting they think we are mindless 90' thinking style people..siia..get a life

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
most people arent greedy pirates as u think man.
if we have enough freedom and money we dont mind helping the industry

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

ok. p2p isnt failsafwe btw. it very easy for anyone who has your ip to see what you have downloaded. and distributed.

the most basic thing you can do is delete the shared folder that your p2p program uses to save it. and create a new folder to donwload to. dont allow people to download your files, and dont allow partial sharing.

also dont use anything other than Frostwire, unless you want adware. and viruses preinstalled before you even get it running.

another basic thing you can do ,that slightly hides the songs/films you get is to use proxys. there are plenty of sites that will give you these.

you can also get programs to run along side to encrypt the data. (i havnt used this so cant really advise on it)

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
most people arent greedy pirates as u think man.
if we have enough freedom and money we dont mind helping the industry

I assume you're talking to me
Yes, I know that, I even said that a lot of people don't mind paying for stuff, as long as its not a ripoff.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
nice of u giving tips mr bob,anyway im not into p2p,and here in bulgaria 99% of the population are piratec,but the thing is,theyr greedy and dont even thank the uploaders,,they just complain and complain...and thats the kind of people that deserve copy protection.(anyway nobodys gonna bust you here,or care what u download)
lemme tell you guis a little story,before there was a time where they tryed to go into homes and bust pirates in bulgaria,they busted some major guis,they closed the download sites,but then people moved to torrents and we know there are too many loopholes in the law to bring down torrents,with all the money and lawyers they stilld didnt do anything to piratebay,only amused them

the population in bulgaria is so sick of the high prices,no work,no salarys that taking theyr internet fun and rights just crossed the LINE!
they saw that they cant even fix the damned country and crime,let alone make us buy games and software.if we have to pay for everything we would all be BROKE!
so they saw they cant win and they stoped,they were only going to loose money. strange why dont they just start braking into house the fbi and look if the content is legal..i guess its againts the law.
anyway im super surprised the mods of these site didnt closed this thread as it is very close to illegal content...but were talking about peoples rights here afterall,it would be cool to hear a mods opinion

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Clickfoot

Yes, the Internet is what allows this free flow of digital information to happen so quick and easily. You are right, before the internet people made copies on tapes and gave it to their friends. Stuff didnt travel as fast. But now it is. Internet is here to stay. Its amazing how something can go from a local newspaper article to the front page of Digg in a couple of hours if its interesting enough. Did you happen to see the Danny DeVito's first twitter attempt on digg? Stunning stuff. The guy didnt even have a shirt on.

That example with the rendering and consulting is actually a bad example, because he could create killer graphics and sell it to a company who would pay for it, even in the future provided there isnt tons of free high quality drawings that fills their needs just as good.

Its different with movies and games so they make better examples.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
and another example,HEAVY GRAPHIC GAMES,where theyr ugly but theyr hard on the video card on purpose so you can buy more expensive one,well ive seen so BEATIFULL games that run great,and ugly ones that lagged,on my old pc

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

overclock your graphic card. and upgrade ram. i got a normal spec laptop, and can play all games i buy. dont have nvidia or anything.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
strange O_o nope i got a decent pc now, 9500gt 2g ram and 2 processors runs everything without problems smooth enough,pretty cheap not that i brag or anything

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Stillalive]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Internet is here to stay.

And so, I feel, are stupidly high fines if you're caught downloading stuff. I don't see anyone saying "ok, you got us, here, have it all for free."

Although you might find this amusing... There was a Sony Minidisc ad I heard on a radio a few years ago, telling you how you could make perfect digital copies of stuff - and that ad ended with the guy saying "but don't use it to copy your friends CD collection or anything..." - just to make sure everybody knew you could. Very naughty. I guess Sony don't care as long as you're buying their product.

That example with the rendering and consulting is actually a bad example, because he could create killer graphics and sell it to a company who would pay for it

But what are THEY going to use it for, if they can't sell whatever product they're using it in?

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

And this is why that was a bad example, because I have no idea what kind of application this theoretical picture will be used in, or how popular it will be or anything else.

But it will most likely follow the same emerging pattern as today, where popular software gets copied and companies charge for support, not the software itself, making piracy pointless.

About the fines: it wont stop anyone. If they destroy 1000 peoples lives out of 100 million file sharers, fine. But it wont change the future. You will see. Technology will also make it easier for them to hide. The more they are chasing file sharers, the more they learn about encryption and other methods to keep themselfs safe, and tools will be developed that makes the entire thing difficult to track.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
axxaxaxa i didnt knew about this ad,well i still wonder why the riaa is fighting this loosing war,theyr figthing on our ground,where they cant opress our internet egos

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

But it will most likely follow the same emerging pattern as today, where popular software gets copied and companies charge for support, not the software itself, making piracy pointless.

... it'll most likely be used in a game, and as we've already discussed, the 'charging for online play' and 'charging for upgrades/parts' ends up costing more, and is a model that will fail because people definitely won't want to pay for that except for very specific types of game like WoW. Other than that, you don't need support for a game.

At the end of the day, somebody's got to pay for something, and so they should. You want to be entertained, you pay the entertainer.

Technology will also make it easier for them to hide.

Unless laws are passed that do the opposite. Whatever you believe, it's possible to track anybody on the internet, and that cannot change, because the system simply wouldn't work otherwise.

Surprised I'm not getting any support here to be honest.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot
Well what if all of the platforms are equally as well protected?

Just 2 things:
We had the above already. (and still have it to a degree) remember when you couldnt open a mac file on a windows machine? Folks didn't like that.

2nd: There *are* ads in movies. It's called product placement, and yes they do get money from it.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Im sorry you feel like you are not getting any support. Thats not my intention really. I just wanted to show how I feel. You can bet there are many people who want to stick to the current business model and hunt people who copy software, they are just not perhaps in this forum.

I have to go to bed soon over here, but thanks for a interesting debate!

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by debunky
We had the above already. (and still have it to a degree) remember when you couldnt open a mac file on a windows machine? Folks didn't like that.

Not really the same thing. He was basically saying if it wasn't possible to copy software for a console, somebody would move to another one. I was saying this wouldn't work if it wasn't possible to copy software on ANY of them.

Of course people won't like it. But it won't stop them buying consoles/games.

Originally posted by debunky
There *are* ads in movies. It's called product placement, and yes they do get money from it.

Yeah but they don't make anywhere near enough money to pay for the movie, do they?

Movies are different, though, because as someone already pointed out, a lot of people like going to see the movie on "the big screen", and that's where they make most of their money. That isn't going to change any time soon.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
debunky is right,its just that people won't really stand for the "no options" opressing,they will just stop using all products at all,and they will make theyr own product,and all the companyes will bankrupt

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Man..I hope SWAT doesn't break down my door because they found out about all the blank tapes I made (and still have) from when I was 10!

I hope they don't find out that I made a copy of a CD I had and gave it to a friend so that they could enjoy the music (and become a fan of and then went to a concert for) a band they never heard before because they didn't have the money to buy the $17 CD at the store.

I hope they don't find out that I copied a CD I bought onto my computer then downloaded the songs onto my MP3 alarm clock.

Guess I should have bought a second CD.

It also really sucked when some of my CD's were stolen out of my car and instead of buying all 10 of them again (which would have cost me almost $200), I chose to download them. Or when a really good CD gets badly scratched because the structural "integrity" of a CD guarantees that it won't take long before it becomes unlistenable (is that a word) and I chose to download the CD instead of buying a new one.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join