It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who would you want in your community?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mappam
I would also like to add someone that knows all about animals. Someone that can breed them along with caring for them.

It would be a very good idea to have a few goats, cow(s), horse/mule, chickens/rooster, etc.

You bring up a good one. Animal husbandry is important. In the old days it was considered an important skill. If food is scarce and you only have a few beasties, you wanna make sure that they are: able to reproduce, and not have something stupid take them out.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Can I volunteer to be in Arrowmancer's community? And if I can come along, why do we have to wait til the catastrophe comes. Can't we just set it up now?

Oh - and I'll bring Rachel Ray to cook for us.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I'm all for starting now, I think I have a birth defect, I can't figure out what other women see in shoe shopping. I am so ready to get away from "civilization". If trampling each other to death over a sale at a store, is civilized I want out!
As far as being a leader goes, I guess it would depend on where my level of experience fell compared to every one else.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
People who don't wine and are hard workers.
Can I take my brother in law ? He is a hard worker and a good shot with a rifle, if I do can I leave my sister behind?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
OP: I'd prefer no community. But, eventually I'd end up having to take the family to some form of society. I'd actually rather be a personal leader (which I am anyway), and live on the outskirts or within convenient access of a community with medical and necessities available (kinda like I do today anyway)

reply to post by hisshadow

In Sit-X, those rednecks you look down your nose at would have a far more realistic chance of survival than a person who
A. Clearly belittles people of the land
and B. seems to have their entire life revolve around electronics and modern conveniences.

Sorry, but I'll take a few good ol boys who can help me run the still without burning us all up, plant the crops intuitively, and field dress a deer without having to lookup the process on Youtube first (not to mention then look up "How to get vomit out of a sweater in the wilds" which I'm guessing would be the end result of you actually having to butcher your dinner while it's still warm and on the hoof.)

Of course, I'm a damn proud redneck...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I met this mother and her daughter in a bar once. I'd like them in my community strictly for aesthetics and prurient interests. And one of them knew how to make pop corn. I forget which one. And the other one was a pretty good belly dancer. All useful skills in a shtf situation.

[edit on 14-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Whoever wants to continue living and will not make trouble. Seriously, if someone comes to my settlement and asks for shelter and food, I would not be able to turn them down. UNLESS I have good reason to.

I know you guys are just joking but movie stars and actresses will just be another person when TSHTF. I would also need a botanist and someone who knows the native plant and fauna of the area my community is in. I will need all of the people you guys have listed above, those who want soldiers, I say at a time of need, everyone is a soldier. If your community is attacked by raiders, bandits or thieves, you wont discriminate on which person will be firing the guns (except very young children).

In honesty, I could do without specific jobs because everyone can learn to do different things. My Ideal settlement would be on top of a rock mesa or a tall hill, near a river or water source. Then again, who's ideal settlement Isn't one of those options. Anyway, if ATS ever builds a community after civilization falls, count me in, I am a 2nd year med student at UT health science center in pediatrics!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by calstorm
I'm all for starting now, I think I have a birth defect, I can't figure out what other women see in shoe shopping. I am so ready to get away from "civilization". If trampling each other to death over a sale at a store, is civilized I want out!
As far as being a leader goes, I guess it would depend on where my level of experience fell compared to every one else.

That's it, you're in my group. As for shoe shopping, I'm a bit of a metro-sexual. Despite the Marines and being an outdoors man, I take fashion pretty serious. The point of shoe shopping is to take what is generally considered one of the ugliest parts of the body and make it as aesthetically pleasing as the rest of the body. If you're ever in southeast TX, gimme a yell and off we'll go.

And as for leadership? Since my list has been cleverly thought up to address all issues of survival and massive disaster, it only makes sense that we have the ultimate leader.

Captain Jean Luc Picard. Now, Kirk is an obvious choice, but far too reckless and hasty. Janeway gets too emotional. Sisko's too dangerous. Archer's too single-minded. Plus, Picard's got a Q in his pocket.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Oh I almost forgot. We need someone who can make all manner of alcoholic spirits. Rum, whiskey, vodka etc. provide an effective way to preserve some of the energy you get out of the crops. They don't require refrigeration and you don't have much trouble with vermin getting into them (excepting maybe some of the other colonists).

Beer is or can be rather nutritious and besides - if we have a bunch of redneck country folk around to help feed us we'll need beer because they pretty much can't hunt or fish without it. That isn't a slam on country people by the way.....the better half of my family (my mother's side) is from south Georgia and I'm just crazy about them.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
OP: I'd prefer no community. But, eventually I'd end up having to take the family to some form of society. I'd actually rather be a personal leader (which I am anyway), and live on the outskirts or within convenient access of a community with medical and necessities available (kinda like I do today anyway)

reply to post by hisshadow

In Sit-X, those rednecks you look down your nose at would have a far more realistic chance of survival than a person who
A. Clearly belittles people of the land
and B. seems to have their entire life revolve around electronics and modern conveniences.

Sorry, but I'll take a few good ol boys who can help me run the still without burning us all up, plant the crops intuitively, and field dress a deer without having to lookup the process on Youtube first (not to mention then look up "How to get vomit out of a sweater in the wilds" which I'm guessing would be the end result of you actually having to butcher your dinner while it's still warm and on the hoof.)

Of course, I'm a damn proud redneck...

Amen

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
omg.. ive soooo wanted my own comunity forever !!!

being stuck in georgia, im surrounded by rednecks.. sigh..

but my community would be built around a large gamer base, people that are total gamers, computer geeks with ion charged pc's, even mac users would be welcome. We would hack all broadband connections to 1 trillion bits per second, and shunt it thru a wifi system powerfull enough to give the whole community wireless internet and cable. everyone you see would be carrying a notebook and an iphone, and a startrek online and world of warcraft account would be mandatory.

wow... sounds like heaven...

you're out thats for sure

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
cool thread

I would love to have my dearly departed grandmother. She was full of experience and a master seamstress and knitter. Amazing socks, sweaters, wool pants, scarfs, winter hats gloves and mittens, blankets and afghans. Oh the good ole days

As well, some other elders who had that old school knowledge about building things and hewing log cabins and being self sufficient and stuff like that. Dan Proenneke is the man. To have been able to spend a full calendar year with him would have been amazing. I attached a link for Alone in the Wilderness. Wicked cool vid.

www.youtube.com...

Oh, on a side note, I am learning how to make bows and arrows from traditional methods using local trees. As well, strings from inner bark and other plants and arrows too. Could come in handy when the amo runs out.

cheers

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Vin Diesel. Not sure what skills he would contribute, but I wouldn't kick him out of bed for eating crackers.

posted on Sep, 23 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Just for a lighter thread, I often think about this.

If you are the type that in a shtf global situation, and you would rather rebuild in a community then alone, who would you like in your community?

A doctor? Engineer? hunter?

I think I would like to have a doctor or nurse,carpenter, maybe a musician for entertainment. Hey,even in a post modern world you need entertainment.

Who would you like on your surival island?

Also, would you be the type to be a leader? Or a follower? Second in command? No leader at all?

every1 is welcome, and no leader @ all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join