It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Selects Target Crater for Lunar Impact

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by Kr0n0s

No, Hubble was not made for that, it was made to take photos of far away subjects.

I see.. well, i stand corrected then

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

NASA said that there are no explosives on board, they said where it is going to hit, people from everywhere (that can see the Moon at that time) that have the equipment can see it happening, those with more equipment can analyse the dust plume (that's the whole idea of this mission) and see what is there, so if there are explosives on board they will be detected by the people analysing the hit, and NASA cannot control who those people are.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I know NASA said there where no explosives on board but i don't buy that and like i said earlier they have crashed lots of things into the moon before they could have got this data long ago.
They Knew the japanese where going to crash there's into the moon they could have directed them where to crash down to get that data it doesn't make sense.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

A little research would answer that question. OTHER Human spacecraft impacts are seen from Earth. Consider the Japanese 'Kaguya'...

Description
According to the latest available information (10:30 UT), Japan's 2,900 kg Kaguya spacecraft is slated to impact the Moon at 18:25 UT on June 10, 2009. The impact site is expected to be near 80.4ºE/ 65.5ºS. The following examples show how LTVT can be used to get a quick interpretation of this information.

Viewing Geometry
(pics are at the link)

In the first example, the Earth viewer is used to give a view of the Earth as viewed from the Moon at the moment of impact, and at two hour intervals preceding it. The impact would only be visible from the hemisphere, and well visible only from the part that is shaded from the Sun (as in the Moon displays, the hemisphere bordered by the red line is in sunlight, and that bordered by the blue line is in darkness).

*skip*

At the announced moment of impact, the Moon would be directly overhead in a dark sky as seen from western Australia. From Tokyo, the Moon will be lower, and observers there will be approaching sunrise on Earth, but the Sun will still be about 10° below the horizon and the Moon nearly 30° above it (in LTVT, the exact numbers can be determined by moving the cursor over the image). The Moon will be below the horizon for observers in Europe, most of Africa and the western hemisphere (including Hawaii).

ltvt.wikispaces.com...

SO, obviously being able to SEE the impacts depends on WHERE you are on Earth, and WHEN the impact occurs.

Could it be any simpler???

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

They Knew the japanese where going to crash there's into the moon they could have directed them where to crash down to get that data it doesn't make sense.

Why doesn't it make sense??

JAXA have their own mission plans, they don't operate at the whim of NASA.

NASA have set-up and prepared for this event. Took a lot of planning and preparation, INCLUDING the imaging from the LROC, in selecting the area of interest.

Really...it isn't a big secret.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Could it be any simpler???

Yes, if you could please add some bullets to this it would be much easier to read.
thanks

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

They are crashing a spent engine stage into a particular crater.
They chose this crater for its location and its possibility for containing water. Any crater will not do.

They intend to fly the satellite into the plume that is created from the impact and test the plume. That is what is different from the other crashes.

Its location will allow the plume to be illuminated and visible to be studied.

The Hubble is not like a telescope you look through, it sees in different light spectrums then assembles the images.

The moon is not hollow.
The term ring like a bell came from some one describing the seismic reverberation that occurs due to its solid core.

Yes there is more than just a satellite coming down.
The possibility exists that they may discover water that was trapped beneath the surface.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwacker

You are telling me things i already know the point im trying to make is they could have got this data a long time ago.
And all the threads i have been reading on this mission i get the impression this is going to be a bigger impact that just a normal satellite impacting.
Thats just the way i see this that's all.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

Sigh.. perhaps Japan decided to crash their craft into an area that NASA didnt believe was appropriate to collect the kind of data that they wanted.
Did Japan crash it in the poles? Im asking because i really dont know.

I think the whole point behind this is to find vaporized water that crashes up out of the south pole area, which is why a nuke would be the wrong choice, as it would instantly vaporize the ice before any readings could be taken.

Shame too, I really do think it would be cool to nuke the moon... just for the hell of it.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Plasma applicator

Thank you this is the the best explanation i have read so far but how do we know for sure there is nothing sinister on this satellite?

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

...but how do we know for sure there is nothing sinister on this satellite?

Because thousands of scientists from hundreds of countries are going to be able to observe ans analyize the results of the impact, and the nature of the debris that is ejected.

Anything "sinister" would be immediately noticed.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Agree with you there we shall see soon not long to wait.
Thank you all for your reply's.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mars1

I said the same on my previous post, but apparently you stopped reading after I said that NASA said that there are no explosives on board...

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

No Armap the bomb bit is not the bit i agree with weedwacker it's the part about everybody watching that i agree with.
And i read allot of what you write so sorry if my post came out wrong.

THANKYOU

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mars1

It's simple: besides that everybody would know it did more boom than it was supposed to when it hits, ther really is no reason for any explosives in this scenario. (and before you say they could lie about the expected boom: you can calculate it yourself: E=m*v (energy=mass times velocity)

Want more boom? go faster/heavier. You have all the way from here to the moon to accelerate and no atmosphere to slow you down. And while we are at it: you need an atmosphere for the mushroom cloud, so sorry, no mushrooms on the moon.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mars1
No Armap the bomb bit is not the bit i agree with weedwacker it's the part about everybody watching that i agree with.
And this is what I said.

NASA said that there are no explosives on board, they said where it is going to hit, people from everywhere (that can see the Moon at that time) that have the equipment can see it happening, those with more equipment can analyse the dust plume (that's the whole idea of this mission) and see what is there, so if there are explosives on board they will be detected by the people analysing the hit, and NASA cannot control who those people are.

That's why I said it looked like you stopped reading after having read the explosives part...

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Also bear in mind that this is being highly sensationalized by NASA detractors. It is not as if you are going to be sitting in your front yard watching the moon and then all of the sudden BOOM big explosion from space. The last I read they are anticipating it being visible to telescopes larger than I believe 8 inches.

And one thing I still don't understand: If this was really some plot to bow up the moon, why? Most academics agree that the moon has a profound effect on earth life, such as the tides. Destroying the moon would have a catastrophic effect on our ecosystem. So why would all of these big brained NASA geeks want to do that? They would suffer just as much as the rest of us. That is the kind of ecological event that no amount of money in the world would spare you from. So before you point fingers saying NASA is trying to kill us all by destroying the moon, ask yourself one simple question..... what would they gain from it? In the end they would be just as screwed as we are. The whole argument kinda looses steam right there don't it?

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What about the 2 ton kinetic bomb and the 5 mile wide by 5 mile deep crator it creates

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What about it? Gotta be a little more specific there.

2nd line

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiemann

Ophiucus is simply repeating incorrect "information" from source that has no idea what they're talking about.

This has been thoroughly covered in any number of Moon "bombing" (I hate to use that word, but that's the hysteria used in titles) threads.

The "5 miles wide and 5 miles deep" is total nonsense. Hysterical ravings of a lunatic fringe on the Internet.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join