It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why join the freemasons?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Hello everyone.

I want some advice from freemason members here on ATS as to why they became a mason, what do you stand for?
Are there benefits to masonry?

And dont tell me to use google, i prefer to talk to actual masons.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I joined the Masons because I was interested in their history and symbolism, as well in such things as Hermetic philosophy, Enlightenment philosophy, alchemy, Kabalah, and other things that have influenced Masonry.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I have a very good friend I met in the service about 20 years ago. He has remained a good friend through out that time. he became a mason shortly after I got out. He mentioned it to me from time to time, but I really had no interest in it. I didn't even know what it was. Then I came to ATS looking for UFO stuff as that was and is my interest. I started reading all about how evil masons are and how they sacrifice children, and worship the devil. Now I know this friend is a very good person. We used to like to chase women and have a beer or twelve back in the day, but he wouldn't come close to being involved in anything like that. So I started to get curious about it. Then I had a calling or a feeling like I could be doing something with my life instead of just trying to get by. A friend of mine is a Shriner and told me about all the charity they do for kids and I thought that sounded like something I would like to focus on. Immagine my surprise when he told me I had to be a mason first. So I petitioned the lodge and became a mason. I have yet to join the Shriners after 3 years, but intend to do that at some point. I have been amazed at what the real reason masonry is for, and have enjoyed it very much. There is/was no gain in finances, notoriety, sex apeal or anything tangible. But the personal growth I have felt is a real plus. For me, it feels right, like something I had been missing all my life.

Sorry to rant, but you did ask.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I became involved as a lot of my family are involved. The friendship is second to none, and the gain is what you can bring to Freemasonry not what you can get out of it.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A long time aquaintance was a Mason and after years of discussing with him what they did I got frustrated that he never asked me to join. Eventually I asked him and he sponsored my membership. What compelled me to join was the opportunity to give back to the community as I found that my life was lacking in a more spiritual sense and this helped in that regard.

Since joining I have gravitated towards the more esoteric and historical aspects of the Fraternity as well as working on several research and awareness committees. As previously mentioned, you should come to Masonry expecting to put more into the Institution they you should expect to receive from the same.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
I want some advice from freemason members here on ATS as to why they became a mason, what do you stand for?
What do we stand for? Truth, justice, and the American way! Oh, wait. No. That's Superman, not Masons. (Faster than a speeding octogenarian; more powerful than a AA battery; able to leap small pebbles in a single bound. It's a reptilian, it's the NWO, No! It's a "High Level" Mason!)

Are there benefits to masonry?
You get out of it what you put into it. If you want camaraderie, a bunch of new friends with some common interests and some life experiences different than your own, they're there. If you want security that your wife and children will be cared for after you're dead, that's there. If you want to dive into a bottomless well of knowledge, philosophy, allegory and symbolism, there aren't many better places to look. If you're into practicing something until you have it perfect (whether as a personal challenge to yourself, or just because you're an OCD type), there's something for you. If you like helping charities and doing the right thing, not because of praise or recognition, but simply because it is the right thing to do, then Masonry is for you.

I joined as more or less a self-help program. I wanted to be a better father, a better husband, a better friend, a better member of my community. Masonry has shown me some tools that can help me achieve those goals and given me an environment that fosters such growth, as well as a support system to tap me on the shoulder and whisper gentle guidance in my ear should I slide or lose sight of the big picture. Is that what it is for everyone? Certainly not. But that's what I sought, so that's what I found. Your milage may vary.

[edit on 9/11/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I joined because I wanted to belong to something bigger than myself. Also my father and some uncles are masons, although not prince hall masons like myself. But its basically the exact same thing, just very very minor differences.

Also I studied the history of freemasonry...etc for many years before joining and I was fascinated by it, I had to join! Also many of my friends are also masons.

I also like helping people, and we get out in our community just about every weekend and help out poor kids..etc. I live in the middle of oakland and grew up in one of worst parts of it, and our particular lodge happens to be right by that neighborhood and many of the other brothers are from there too so we help out and donate A LOT of stuff to poor people and neglected children there.

Theres probably 100 other reasons why I joined, but I don't want to list them all. Basically, freemasonry is just beautiful! Enough said.

If you want to join the masons just because you think it make you "connected" and make more money or get outta traffic tickets and such, don't even bother. If you want to join the masons for the benefits of spiritual growth and the great feeling of helping people, then go right head, that is the correct reason to join.

[edit on 11-9-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Good day brothers!!! The decision to join for me was a 5 year process, as I didn't want to join until I had reached a point in life where I was sure I could devote the time needed towards being an active brother. My reasoning was I saw the positive effect it had on some of my good friends and how introspective and "wise" they became. Also having some good friends/brothers that will be there for you, and you for them, through thick and thin was a real plus as well. So far I love it!!!

Unity Lodge #28 PHA
Detroit, Mi.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
oops double post

[edit on 11-9-2009 by alvarez313]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I joined as I was interested in the history and symbolism. I had read so much about them, but I knew so much would be learned by first hand experience.

Masons stand for love of our fellow man (brotherly love), truth, and charity. Brotherhood of man and the fatherhood of God.

I would say that the friendship is great benefit. Plus the experiences of the members (life, jobs, and esoteric/ritual). I've met guys who knew and worked for my grandfather (not a Mason) when he was a District Commander for Idaho State Police. In Idaho all our work has to be done by memory (not all jurisdictions require memorization) and it's helped my studying and memorization skills. The York Rite has strengenthed my faith in Christ. And really, I enjoy going to Lodge as it's a nice relief from the week and work. I even met my girlfriend through the Masons and it's nice that we both have similar interests as she is involved with the OES and IOJD.

[edit on 12-9-2009 by KSigMason]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I joined mainly because of the idea of brotherhood. I went to an all-boys school, where there was almost a Frat mentality, and also, my father was in the Round Table, so I grew up being used to the idea of Brotherhood, and it seemed natural later on.

I am also very interested in esoteric knowledge, symbols etc, so Freemasonry was a better choice for me than something like Round Table, which is also a brotherhood, but without the esoteric aspect.

I definitely found exactly what I was looking for.

[edit on 12/9/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I joined basically because, like everyone else I knew, I wanted to serve reptiloid shapeshifting aliens as one of their ignorant footsoldiers, perform human sacrifices, worship Baphomet and/or Satan, gang-stalk the innocent, and engage in secret wars with the Jesuits and Knights of Columbus. Oh, and I have intrinsic nepotistic tendencies.

But seriously...

...what actually attracted me was the structured personal development, the lineage and history of the fraternity, the calibre of its members, and the opportunity to give back to my community by way of organised non-religious charity.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Because you beleieve in God.

Because you beleive in truth no matter where it leads.
(and would like an organization that has held that philosopy for a very long time)

Because you beleive God is Love, and only by loving and showing compassion for your fellow man can you truly be an instrument of God.

Because you'll never once again in any city say you have no family or friends there.

Because you will have brothers across every generation who will stand by you, and whom you can trust.

Because you can weird out conspiracy theorists merely by rubbing your masonic ring while fidgiting and smiling at them.

Because you are not sure how to cook, and degree work is sort of like dinner insurance.

Because you desire to improve yourself and control your passions.

Because it's cheaper then scientology, and much less creepy.

Because it's the last thing anyone you know would expect.

Because you can have all the Pecan rolls you care to eat.

and the best reason?

It's hip to be Square.

[edit on 14/9/2009 by ForkandSpoon]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I am a real Freemason of 20 years standing. I have enjoyed the company of Brethren all over the World and belong to many Orders.
If you join our Fratrnity I hope you equally are as fortunate in meeting people you would not have probably met
Salve Frater

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Man , o man! What am I doing wrong? What have I done?
After reading such positive reasons why members have joined, and the subject matter taught in there and the betterment of one's character etc, I wanna join mo than ever.

I have contacted 3 masons already about joining. I knew none of them personally. The first I met at the door to a lodge building. I asked him , he took my number and said he'd have someone call me. It's been about a month plus now and no call.
Secondly I emailed a secretary of a lodge in my community twice, no response.
Lastly I met a mason who walked into my business place, I noticed his ring, pulled him aside, told him my intent, he gave me his number, I called later that day. He asked me who my mom was, and what lodge she belonged to. I said my mom isn't a member of Co-Masonry. He said no probs, he'll speak to the higher ups and get back to me, and also he knows where to find me now.
Well, no response since.

I have no criminal record, I do honest day's work. Im wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm honestly wondering if the rumours are true, that you need to be of a certain social class to be accepted or even considered. I'm very low class (wealth/politically). Is that the problem?
Or maybe Im just too darn anxious?
Anyone have a similar experience?
How long does it take for Masons to contact you after you express interest?

Cheers guys.
P.S I'm in the Caribbean. (St.Lucia)

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Tzsephanyahu]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzsephanyahu

no stipulations on social status. Ditch digger or world leader, all the same inside the lodge. I am sorry you are having a hard time. Please U2U me the lodge number you are nearest and I will see if I can get any info for you.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
My reasons for joining were a mix between the things Masonic Light and Network Dude mentioned.

Also, I am not a very social person, I figured it would be a good way to get the corrected. So far, it's been a great cure for that.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by Tzsephanyahu

no stipulations on social status. Ditch digger or world leader, all the same inside the lodge. I am sorry you are having a hard time. Please U2U me the lodge number you are nearest and I will see if I can get any info for you.

Update, I guess I was too anxious. The brother I contacted replied to me yesterday and directed me to the secretary etc etc. I'll keep you guys posted.

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
well at the age of 11 after quiting cub scouts upon finding out the pack leader was a meth cook and child predator my step dad being the police officer he was ran into an old partner with another department who, they use to ride together and knew each other from the masonic youth; the Order of DeMolay, his partner mentioned that he was the head advisor for the DeMolay boys (ages 12-21) so my dad (i called my step dad 'dad') waited till i turned 12 and handed me a petition and the $50 lifetime membership fee. and since my oldest sister was already a Rainbow Girl (masonic youth for girls 10-20) i said what the heck yah know why not?
so i went through and got both degrees and spent the next 9 years enjoying myself. in that time my step dad petitioned the masonic lodge for memship and got his EA degree but stopped due to his work schedule..and since my grandfather was an EA and stopped because he moved to another state and his scheduled shifts changed frequently he passes away years ago and never finished. so i decided that that is not the way i am going to have it in my family anymore. when i did geneological research i saw ALL of my great grandfathers and all the way back to france and england those great great great great great grandfathers were masons and their tombstones had squares and compasses i knew there had to be something in it for me if there was for them. i saw the masons taught philosophy, alchemy, Kabalah, Rosicrucianism and my experiance through DeMolay showed me how much the masonic lodge does for charity (AND FOR THOSE THAT THINK WE RAISE MONEY FOR NOTHING LISTEN UP:i have seen the DeMolay's raise over $1,000 and it all goes to buy toys for misfortunate kids during the holidays)
so i petitioned. was initiated in september, passed in october, waited for friend to come in town to see me raised in december. then after much consideration and thought, (and with the good counsel from well informed brethren) i chose to contunue my masonic education and go NOT higher BUT deaper into masonry by petitioning and receiving the 4th-32nd degrees in march of 2009. AND in may of 2009 i had a chance to give money to a worthy cause (the widows and orphans fund if you anti's want to know so bad) and with that i became a member of the Order of the Yellow Dog and Flea Ruff. Ruff.. Ruff...
ohhhhhhh
you haven't heard of that order in masonry have you???? (geuss you'll have to brainstorm and geuss how high a mason must be and how much they have to donate to become a member of that order...and dont ask what the order is about because it's real hush hush) now with all hysterical laughter aside (IF A FELLOW YELLOW DOG JUST READ THAT PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT...JUST LET IT RIDE)

posted on Dec, 23 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tzsephanyahu
Man , o man! What am I doing wrong? What have I done?
After reading such positive reasons why members have joined, and the subject matter taught in there and the betterment of one's character etc, I wanna join mo than ever.

I have contacted 3 masons already about joining. I knew none of them personally. The first I met at the door to a lodge building. I asked him , he took my number and said he'd have someone call me. It's been about a month plus now and no call.
Secondly I emailed a secretary of a lodge in my community twice, no response.
Lastly I met a mason who walked into my business place, I noticed his ring, pulled him aside, told him my intent, he gave me his number, I called later that day. He asked me who my mom was, and what lodge she belonged to. I said my mom isn't a member of Co-Masonry. He said no probs, he'll speak to the higher ups and get back to me, and also he knows where to find me now.
Well, no response since.

I have no criminal record, I do honest day's work. Im wondering what I'm doing wrong. I'm honestly wondering if the rumours are true, that you need to be of a certain social class to be accepted or even considered. I'm very low class (wealth/politically). Is that the problem?
Or maybe Im just too darn anxious?
Anyone have a similar experience?
How long does it take for Masons to contact you after you express interest?

Cheers guys.
P.S I'm in the Caribbean. (St.Lucia)

[edit on 13-12-2009 by Tzsephanyahu]

my friend i was in the youth order of the lodge i joined and i knew everybody there....it still took them 4 months to do my background check before i ever heard word from them...now these small country lodges they are a bit slow at times as since this is christmas time your best bet is to contact the GRAND SECRETARY of the GRAND LODGE you live under.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join