It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockets fired from lebanon into Israel

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Sky Breaking News:

The rockets were the first fired in months from Lebanon, where Israel and Hezbollah guerrillas fought a month-long war in 2006.(visit the link for the full news article)
Sky News

[edit on 11-9-2009 by no1dea]

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Do we have something new starting here then just as Israel and Iran are topping the news headlines?

Reports of Isreal holding secret meetings and weapons tests.
Hezbollah guerrillas kicking this off after 3 years of moderate silence?
Is this a distraction for attack on Iran?
Time will tell if this a well planned opperation.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
do you think it will escalate ?

brb..i go and get some pop corn

S+F

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Keeping an eye on this one.
Me think the timing is just right for bad times!

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
We need to keep in mind it may be a Mossad team and a false flag. But before I make that a definite assumption will need to see Israel's reaction.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is interesting.. Very interesting..

It really could go either way on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Israeli tanks rolling into Lebanon. Again.

I just hate how whenever anyone gets up the balls to stand up against Israel, they're completely crushed down and condemned.. Not cool, Israel has a lot to answer for, but won't because of their unwavering arrogance.

~Hughness

Love the avatar btw, no1dea

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The ticker on BBC news channel is now saying that Israel have fired 10 rockets at the site in Lebannon which fired the first two rockets.
This could escalate into a full war....Hizbollah were saying they had stocked up 40 000 rockets a few weeks back.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Mmmmmm.... now why would the Lebanese or Hezbollah do that right now?

Simple answer is that they have no reason to. I smell a rat.

I remember back to last year when a Lebanese army unit came across rockets set up and ready to fire on timers. Both the Lebanese army / Government and the UN force said at the time that Hezbollah was not responsible. Maybe that too was a set up to kick something off?

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by purehughness
This is interesting.. Very interesting..

It really could go either way on this one, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Israeli tanks rolling into Lebanon. Again.

~Hughness

Love the avatar btw, no1dea

Yes i'm not sure if this will escelate into something bigger, we will have to wait and see.

My Avatar, Yep I think im both of those characters in one! lol.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

now why would the Lebanese or Hezbollah do that right now

You really don't need a reason to start a fight. For example, Hitler just kinda went into Poland one day. He didn't really have a reason.

Also, as I remember, Hezbollah is just one group that doesn't want a Jewish state to exist. That in and of itself could be enough right there.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A Lebanese official has confirmed this.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

It would certainly be easy for a team of Israelis to hop over the border and fire these first two rockets...I would not put it past them at the moment,especially in context with Bibi's "secret" meeting with the Russians.

This could lead to a bigger dust up with Iran,as Hizbollah are funded by, and originated in Iran.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Two rockets have been fired into northern Israel from Lebanon. There were no immediate reports of casualties or damage. Remnants of a Katyusha rocket were found in Israel, police said.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Well, my thoughts go to the Israelis living near the border with Lebanon and the Lebanese civilians that Hezbollah uses as a cover for its operations and weapons storage.

I hope this is just a one off and doesn't escalate.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Indeed, it would be very easy for a Mossad team to sneak in, set it up and watch the fireworks.

What I'd like to know is, what weapons do Israelis use to retaliate? We know that Hezbollah uses Katyusha rockets (little more than oversized fireworks in this day and age)..

Already 10 missiles have been shot back at Lebanon, and I'd expect further retaliation to occur from both sides. Exactly how these situations escalate and then the big guns come out.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
According to Reuters the Israelis retailliated with artillery,not rockets/missiles:

uk.news.yahoo.com...

At least two rockets from Lebanon struck northern Israel on Friday, prompting Israeli artillery to shell the fruit groves from which they were fired, security officials on both sides of the border said. Skip related content No casualties were immediately reported by Israeli police, who said two rockets landed. Lebanese security sources, who reported at least two outgoing missiles and 15 incoming Israeli shells, did not say who may have fired the rockets.

Not looking good at all.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

So they're kicking off without first having established who shot the rockets?

This could be very ugly.

Although, think back to Vietnam, when the VC would blend in to the civilian population to remain hidden, but able to strike at will.
Hezbollah could likely be using these tactics, but will ultimately lead to high civilian casualties...

Like last time:

Israel and the Lebanese militant and political group Hezbollah fought a devastating 34-day war across the border in July 2006.

On the Lebanese side more than 1,000 people died, mostly civilians. About 160 Israelis - most of them soldiers - died in the fighting and rocket fire.

Link

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

A lot of those Lebanese civilians who died did so well away from the border as Israel sent in airstrikes against Lebanese civilian and commercial infrastructure, much of it located in population centres.

Hezbollah are a defence militia, they do not just go and attack Israel for no reason. Although there are many who will think so because they are branded, by some countries (not many though), as a terrorist organisation.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3fc1a6421560.jpg[/atsimg]

Doesn't look like a firecracker to me.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Cool, fair point dude.

But what I was saying was, compared to the arms that the US supplies to Israel, it doesn't really compare, when the Katyusha was being used by the Russians in WW2.

Hence, disproportionate retaliation.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

And artillery shells were used since 1800. So? Israel actually uses much more obsolete weapon then.....

For your information - Hizbollah uses 122mm BM-21 rockets, that are called Grad. Designed long after WW2. You probably heard about Georgians supposedly using it on South Ossetia and Russians using it in Chechnya. Then it was clearly not firework for you, i suppose. It carries about 20 kgs of payload and has range of tens kilometers.
The only proportional response from Israel would be to ask for more of these, i suppose? Oh, no, they fired back. Evil...Evil.....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join