It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland's melt mystery unfolds, at glacial pace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Half a decade later, there's a little bit of good news — and a lot of uncertainty. "It does seem that the very rapid speeds were only sustained for a short period of time although none of these glaciers have returned to the 'normal' flow speeds yet," says Gordon Hamilton, a glaciologist from the University of Maine, who's clocked Helheim's rapid advance using GPS receivers on site since 2005.

the whole article

It is good to have real science to read. Nobody in this article seems to have an agenda other than the truth. I like that. But I worry they might not have all the facts together before the Global Warming Summit in the fall. I still believe our impact on the global climate is minimal. I know we need to change the way we do things and pollute less, but lets not bankrupt the world by loosing our minds and going "green" crazy. Think first, then speak.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hi , Thanks for the article link.

I see we live in a system that works at 100% capacity, then of course human activity has injected some more variables into that already working at capacity 100%. Even if the figure is 10% from human activity then that is a significant number. So we must be having an effect on the global climate.

At the same time though I see it is highly possible the planet is still in a warming phase from the last ice age.

What this gives me is an understanding that most of what is occuring is a natural process over long timeframes, and that we humans have added to the weight, which is effecting this warming in a way that seems to accelerate it.

So I don't see it as either one or the other, but moreso as both together.

new topics

join