It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ellen DeGeneres Takes Paula's Place on "Idol"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
chicagotribune.com

So much for the idea that Paula Abdul might reach some sort of accord with "American Idol" and return to the show for its ninth season.

Nope.

Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres will be "Idol's" fourth judge in Season 9, Fox announced Wednesday. Before she begins her stint, a series of guest judges will be part of the audition process. Those guest judges include Victoria Beckham, Mary J. Blige, Kristin Chenoweth, Joe Jonas, Neil Patrick Harris, Avril Lavigne, Katy Perry and Shania Twain.

“I’m thrilled to be the new judge on 'American Idol,'” said DeGeneres. ”I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So Ellen is going to replace the flaky but lovable Paula Abdul on "American Idol's" judging panel.

I like DeGeneres's talk show and her take on things in general, so I look forward to seeing her in the fall.

Haven't watched "Idol" much this past season (it gets old sometimes) but hope this new judge will give it a shot in the arm.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Ellen will not be mean to the singers, and will offer constructive criticism. She says she wants to represent the American public.

Others are upset that she does not have any musical credentials, but I always wondered what credentials the other judges had. They were not known until they became judges. Besides, it is the viewers at home who vote for the singers, not the judges picks.

I was thinking about not watching this season, but I think I will pop in a few times and check out the show.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Simon and Randy have been in the music buisness a long time. Usually those who sign on talents for various music labels aren't that well known.

The judges are the ones who pick who we vote for. They whittle down thousands of participants down to 20 for us to vote on.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
whyyy? Out of all overly qualified individuals would they choose someone like her? Like, I get that she's a talk show host and all. But that doesn't mean that she knows jack about musical talent. I sincerely hope that she makes the producers rethink the choice once put on stage. I swear...TV sometimes.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'd rather put up with Paula's drug induced recap of what the other judges said over this hack comedian.

You know that all we're going to here are jokes that bomb from her.

I hate Idol now.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

You know that all we're going to here are jokes that bomb from her.

I don't know....Paula was amusing, in her way....bless her heart. BUT, we laughed at her NOT because she was trying to be funny, and in a way that's sorta cruel, isn't it??

OTOH, Ellen is (in my book at least) still pretty fresh, and does have a quick wit. I suppose she may not immediately pop off all the best bon mots, but as she gets more comfortable I thik she'll find a niche.

I hear she signed a multi-year contract, to...

Thing about Ms. DeGeneres is, for a comic, she is rather rare....she is one of the few who is always rated 'G'.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

yeah, I've just never like her, for some reason or the other.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

I do know the other judges pick the contestants, but we did not know who they were before the show. There have been many times they have said no to a really good singer because they thought the singer was too operatic or to Broadway. It has more to do with taste than real judging on the show.

If Kara uses the word artistry one more time, I will scream!

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

You asked what credentials they had and I pointed out that they have been in the industry for many, many years. Most people who sign up talents are usually unknown to the public. That doesn't take away from their music credentials.

The only music credentials Ellen has is interviewing a musician or dancing horribly to a song.

Thats the differance.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
soooo...

They have replaced a...

choreographer who thinks she can sing

with a ....

comedienne who thinks she can dance

BRILLIANT!!

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Ellen is there to keep the ratings from dropping another three to five million viewers. I did not mean to state that Randy, Simon, Paula or Kara did not have any credentials.

At this point in the game, FOX wants to keep its cash cow going.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Idol isn't in danger of going anywhere.

The cash cow is a very long way from the slaughter. They don't need Ellen to save it.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
TV critic Robert Bianco made a good statement about why Ellen is a good choice. She is a successful performer, something that the three others right now are not. She can give the singers pointers on how to connect with the audience, something that many in the past had trouble doing.

top topics

join