It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Digital audio recorder in pocket earns man wiretapping charges

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Digital audio recorder in pocket earns man wiretapping charges

tech.yahoo.com

The story goes that one Chi Quang Truong was embroiled in a dispute with a Massachusetts auto service center, which didn't repair his car as quickly as Truong wanted. Truong got into a verbal scuffle with the service shop and the police were called. Apparently Truong was recording all of this -- for reasons unknown -- using a device stowed in his pocket, and cops added the wiretapping charges to his rap sheet during his arrest.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Does your cell phone have voice record capability ?

If so, and you happen to live in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, or Washington, you may be inviting felony wiretapping charges just by virtue of the fact that your phone is on your pocket or purse.

Keeps getting better and better, doesn't it ?

tech.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by visible_villain

I hate this stuff. He's facing charges for something our government, every branch of it, can do without any repercussions. Just another thing that 'they' can do, that we cannot. It's illegal, unless you happen to be government. Double standard garbage.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Remember this story?

Passenger says TSA agents harassed him
www.cnn.com...

He had used his iphone. Well now in some states this will be impossible.
So much for trying to record violations of one's rights.

[edit on 10/9/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain

If so, and you happen to live in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, or Washington, you may be inviting felony wiretapping charges just by virtue of the fact that your phone is on your pocket or purse.

tech.yahoo.com

Wow...That means that millions of people are commiting a felony every day.
What do these laws do for folks who are recording video in the same circumstances?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

I hate this stuff. He's facing charges for something our government, every branch of it, can do without any repercussions. Just another thing that 'they' can do, that we cannot. It's illegal, unless you happen to be government. Double standard garbage.

Can anybody spell "T-Y-R-A-N-N-Y" ?

I couldn't ... had to look it up ... here's what I found -

tyr·an·ny
Pronunciation: \tir-ə-nē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural tyr·an·nies
Etymology: Middle English tyrannie, from Middle French, from Medieval Latin tyrannia, from Latin tyrannus tyrant

Date: 14th century
    1 : oppressive power ; especially : oppressive power exerted by government

2 a : a government in which absolute power is vested in a single ruler; especially : one characteristic of an ancient Greek city-state b : the office, authority, and administration of a tyrant.

3 : a rigorous condition imposed by some outside agency or force

4 : a tyrannical act
Source : merriam-webster

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Originally posted by visible_villain

tech.yahoo.com

What do these laws do for folks who are recording video in the same circumstances?

Once you're a 'criminal' then it's 'ok' for the system to lay waste to your rights ...

I'm sure it's only a 'coincidence' that times are rapidly changing to a state where 'everybody' is now involved in some 'criminal enterprise' or other ...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I am no attorney, but I don't believe this. In most states, the law states that only one person has to know about the recording. Therefore, it is wiretapping if you tap into a conversation between two other people, but if you are a party to the conversation, then it is not wiretapping.

People record lectures all the time. People have security cameras with sound. Even children's toys have recording devices. Police use this with Confidential Informants without a warrant.

As long as one of the participants in the conversation is aware of the recording, then it is not wiretapping.

I don't doubt they added the charge, but I don't think it will get through the prosecutors office.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This is just like the attempts on banning using cameras in the UK in many situation under vague 'terrorism' laws. All of us having our own devices to record any injustice should be one of the great technological advances, but no... not if that interferes with the power elite and their shenanigans.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone

Hell yhea! - After some phone calls (abusive by debt collects who wanted money for a debt that was not mine!!) I set my Nokia up so I could, at a push of a button - with no indication to the other party!, record the call in a format I could easily transfer to a computer.

I also checked the law in the UK... It's quite complicated but I read it as I can personally record any call for 'reference use' without advising the other party. (Things like blackmail, well that's other laws)... To use a recording in court could get complicated tho. If I was recording the call from a business point of view then the general rule would be to advise the other party - but it's not exactly a legal requirement in all cases.

Like I said this is just the UK!!! Cross check for your country!

What I did find though is that the debt collectors actually stopped calling me pretty soon after I informed they were being recorded! (even though legally I didn't have to tell them... In fact the whole recording thing started by me accidentally pressing a couple of buttons and the guy said 'what's that?' - thinking on my feet I said "My solicitor ahs informed me to record all the calls you guys make to me - I just had to start the recording"

But yhea that charge suks - are the PTB getting that paranoid?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I am no attorney, but I don't believe this. In most states, the law states that only one person has to know about the recording.

I didn't check out the list myself, but only went on what the article said. According to that author there are 12 where both parties must give 'informed consent'.

The article also goes on to agree with your sentiment that these fairly serious charges will eventually be dropped ...

I guess the real answer is to 'go micro' !

Get a recorder, perhaps installed in a tooth filling, or somewhere similar, transmitting wirelessly to a recorder you've hidden nearby, one that's too small for them to find ...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How can it be wiretapping if there are no wires involved? If you let the other person know your recording them and they agree to be recorded then it's not a wiretap.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

It's ridiculos! How can you not be allowed that?

In Denmark our law states that as long as we're one of the persons parttaking in the conversation, we can record it how ever we want. Be it phone, dictaphone or cellphone. We don't even have to inform the other persons who are taped.
However we musn't publisize it outside a courtroom.

Stupid stupid law I say... just makes it harder for people to run, say, a case against any public office or similar.

[edit on 10/9/09 by flice]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
These devices are made strictly to record voice. Now how that is done, doesn't matter- it is not a video camera. Seems to me that this is "illegal" based on the fact that they don't want congressman, cops, and other government officials to be taped and exposed for crimes/lies/etc. Since when is it illegal to tape someone? Your video taped everytime you walk into any store/building. Your even taped at street lights and street corners. Is that not illegal? Thats without your consent, is it not? I dont know about you but I dont get 1000 requests to take pictures/video/soundbites of me whenever I go into a store.

I find it really funny how many people's phones are tapped by police/fbi/cia/etc....is that not illegal as well? Of course not because they say its not. Yet these people are citizens just as us- does that mean they get a "Do Not Go To Jail" card? Just another...you can't do this but we can from our wonderful government.

If its illegal- why not just remove all recording devices? Good luck with that.

This is just going to make people use their cell phones instead. A good example...Whats the difference if I have someone listening to my conversation through a phone hidden, versus a device that captures the entire conversation on tape...This is one of those crimes that is hypocritical of itself.

Ridiculous

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

That and all your movements are recorded at some point by some origination - walking into a shop, driving past a number plate reading camera, moving money in and out of bank accounts.

What's another word for hypocrisy? Well we'll just leave it at hypocrisy

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfAces
Seems to me that this is "illegal" based on the fact that they don't want congressman, cops, and other government officials to be taped and exposed for crimes/lies/etc.

Ridiculous

Yep ...

Reminds me of the person who video-taped the Rodney king beating in Los Angeles ... somtetime in the later 1980's I think ... shortly after handheld video cameras became commonly available on the consumer market ...

They almost burned down the city because of that one ...

Now every mobil phone has video capability ...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Just another thing that 'they' can do, that we cannot. It's illegal, unless you happen to be government. Double standard garbage.

can we start a revolution now?

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Both parties don't have to agree to be recorded, they only have to be notified. If you say you're recording for memory purposes and they say no, tell them to hang up and not call back! If you call them for information and tell them you're recording the conversation and they say no then it's up to you to cease the recording! I have called service and tech support and they say recording for training purposes I tell them no I do not agree. If they say they can't help me I tell them that I have payed for the service and if it's not up to par I will talk to a lawyer and they usually back off! It's a sticky situation in any regard because they are lieing to you. It's not for training purposes but to CYA for them!

Zindo

MBF

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I was in a meeting the other day and had my recorder on. I noticed that one of the other guys was holding his hand strange. Later I caught a glimpse of a recorder hidden in his hand. The crooked govt.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Another reason i will NEVER geta cell phone EVER! Its simple, yet amazing, how technology becomes cheap products, and used agiasnt us..outside of brain cancer..wiretapping now. boycot cellphones! God, do i hope and wish the cellphone industry goes under..Verizon going KAPUT bankrupt.

I work in retail, over the past years, i knew a guya t work, that had a recorder in his pocket..cuase the manager was being harsh on him. Its an old retail gimmick, someone does once in a blue moon..when harrassemnt at a place of payed labor becomes abusive, yet the state needs evidence, not just yuor word. so here we see, evidence being USED agianst one. however, why the chinese guy was angry over the speed of the mechnic , i thought was wrong..it gets doen,w hen it gets done.. i eman geesh, if you were a mechanic, howd you like some stranger barking at you cuase they wants their POS ride back??? ide be fuming mad almost.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join