It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1000 preparedness budget - your shopping list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If you had a $1,000 preparedness budget and had not stocked up on anything, what would be your shopping list in order of priority?

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

It depends on what you already have? You won't need to buy everything, so everyone's budget is different.

Most of us have blankets, and a certain amount of dishes and food.

I would say the most basic must-haves are:
.22 Rifle with basic scope for hunting small game
Water storage and purification devices
Blankets, Gloves, Socks, Boots (I like the Nasa or Shock Blankets)
Several Fire Starters (matches, mag block, firesteel, etc.)
Basic Knife and Tool Sack
(Hammer, nails, saw, shovel, rope, etc.)
Several Books
(Edible Local Plants, Basic First Aid, Basic Survival Skills, Field Dressing Game)
Dehydrated Foods and ability to make more (any of the many ways)
Local Terrain Maps

On a larger budget I would want additional weapons, backpacking gear, climbing gear, better fire starters, better water purifying devices, and actual real world training.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
#1 Fixed blade knife - Multipurpose tool and I could use this to you you of your supplies if I sneak up on you in the dark!

$36.95 this one comes with a sharpening stone a great plus!

1. Hunting
  2. Creating more tools
  3. Fire from tools made with this
  4. Use to create tools to make netting, string, or rope
  5. Okay, tool creation with proper knowledge is endless with this item to meet other needs.

#2 Slingshot - good for hunting small game. Maybe also get a couple replacement bands (extremely lightweight and cheap)

$12.00 for slingshot
$3.95 for replacement bands maybe 2 replacement bands = $7.90

#3 Mess kit - general purpose. Good for cooking and also boiling water to purify.

$5.99 for decent mess kit

#4 Good Machete - Good for attacking and defending. This one has a sawback and can be used as a saw also.

$22.99

So far the total is $85.83 before tax. I will post some more as I have more time.

[edit on 9/10/2009 by Amaxium]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
A nice bugout bag that you will carry every day because it's comfortable and easy to use - $100

Potassium Iodide - $30

Rain barrel kit - $100

Three week supply of groceries and vitamins (That you actually eat, not the 'survival' stuff) - $200 (family)

Good quality water filter - $100

Good basic used shotgun or rifle - $200

Ammo - $100

OTC meds and first aid - $100 (painkillers, antihistamines, anti-diarrheal, bandaging materials, bleach, peroxide, rubbing alcohol, hand sanitizer, antibiotic creme)

Survival accessories - $70
- whistle
- fire starters
- sewing kit
- paracord
- knife
- space blanket

Then I would augment this with improvised tools you already have around the house, such as utensils, cooking pots, hand tools, wrecking bar, rope or webbing, charcoal or gas grill.

The 55-gallon rain barrel and typical 30 gallon water heater will supply 85 gallons initially which would provide 3-4 weeks of potable drinking water (not washing) for a family of two adults and two children (gallon per day adult and half gallon per day child).

The BIGGEST point about survival gear is to learn to exploit everything around you and to build up familiar things, like everyday food you already use like canned goods, etc. and then supplement them with powdered milk, rice, beans, canned meat, etc.

Another nice everyday item that doesn't necessarily come out of your survival budget is a NOAA radio or shortwave radio.

Batteries and flashlights will be INVALUABLE in a power-off scenario.

You can build up an AWESOME survival arsenal by perusing local dollar stores and off-brand tool stores like Harbor Freight. You won't need a $200 titanium wrecking bar when a $6 steel one will do.

Our local dollar store has huge jars of spices for a dollar each, and half-gallon cans of ravioli for a $1 each.

Finally, make sure you have day to day items around like books, games for the kids, pillows, ziploc bags.

There is a very steep disaster timeline "curve" if you will. Major disaster plans focus on the first 72 hours. At a minimum you need enough of a cache that you can get through the first 3 days completely cut off from society.

The second critical marker is 3 weeks. Food, water and sanitation should cover at LEAST three weeks for your entire family and pets. The vast majority of major disaster scenarios will begin to see a return of basic services within 3 weeks.

As you move forward with the timeline the likelihood of a long-term disaster diminishes rapidly, but does not disappear.

Basically, if you can adapt to the 6 to 9 month time-frame post-disaster (cycling through seasonal extremes of temperature) then you are good to go long-term. It won't be easy, but it's extremely hard to kill off humans. We adapt and overcome, and learn from our mistakes.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Very good point. A high-quality multi-tool and quality knife are CRITICAL.

Don't skimp on these two tools.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

I have never found a multi-tool very useful at all! Bulky, weak, and frustrating to use!

A high quality knife, or collection of knives, and small tool pouch would be far better.

In normal daily operation, my multi tools have often found themselves over the roof or in the drink, because of the frustration factor!! I have also busted plenty of knuckles using them, and you don't want any extra chances for infection in a survival setting.

Throw out the multitools, and get a little roll up pouch that will take up a similar amount of space, but has tools that are useable!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for your responses so far and please, keep them coming. As you can probably tell, I am trying to put together a shopping list of items to buy in the next week or so. I have no "survival" items right now except for the normal household items, tools and things like first aid kits. I do have 1 shotgun and 1 .22 rifle but I haven't stocked ammunition and to be honest, I haven't even looked at them in 20 years. I have 2 kids (young teenagers) and 2 elderly parents that I would need to protect/house/provide for.

I feel a sense of urgency lately that I've not felt before and I really need to take care of this if only for my peace of mind.

Thanks again, and please keep the lists coming. They've really helped.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Several Books
(Edible Local Plants, Basic First Aid, Basic Survival Skills, Field Dressing Game)

I like this idea. Do you have any specific suggestions for someone who knows little to nothing? These books will probably lie on a shelf until needed but when needed would be invaluable I would think. Especially for someone like me.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Medical Supplies
First Aid Training or Knowledge
Water Filtration
Water Containment
100 Hour Candles
Oil Lanterns
Blankets
Towels
Sleeping Bags
Tent
Knife(s)
Cooking supplies (outdoor stove, fuel)
Basic Food Supplies (Beans, rice, dehydrated veggies, cans of fruit, cans of meat)
Comfort Foods (chocolate, instant coffee)
Games, Musical Insturments
Firstarter (matches, lighters, fuel, flint, steel wool)
Crank Radio/Flashlight
Pet food
Gas can
Plastic sheeting
Duct Tape
Cash

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Well here is my list of things to get for now.

1. .22 rifle w/ scope and 300 rounds or so of ammo

2. firestarters

3. sharpening stone for my knives

4. mess kit

5. glow sticks (not a real big concern but would be nice to have)

6. three 10' x 12' green tarps (easy to make a shelter. possibly use one for the ground, one for the "roof" and one for back up since they do not last forever)

7. heavy duty rope

Things I already have packed and ready to go:

1. Pistol and ammo

2. 2 changes of clothes (pants, shirts, underwear, socks)

3. 2 pairs of gloves (helps protect against infection from cuts on the hands)

4. tactical vest (it is layed out to be able to carry more things on me without weighing down my backpack too much)

4. backpack

5. knives (one 4" fixed blade and one 3" folding)

6. 24 MREs (for the days when you have nothing else to eat)

7. gasmask (hey who knows, would rather have it than not have it)

8. headlamp

9. binos

10. first aid (gauze, iodine, superglue, vaseline, compress, fishing line, needle)

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Well, I have an Army Field Survival manual I bought at a GunShow. It is my Basic survival book. I also have an Improvised Weapons military manual.

The Edible Plants book should be for your local area, so I would suggest going to a Nature store, or a small book store in the area, maybe even a military surplus store would have something.

My first aid book came from a 2 day class for my job, so it is pretty intensive, and the pages are plasticized so it can get wet in the field and still be useful! I would look for something similar at a book store, or call the YMCA or RedCross and sign up for their Course!!

I haven't got a Field Dressing book yet! I need to go look for one, and we have a Gun Show coming up this weekend!
I have been lazy getting that book, because my mother is good at that stuff, and I have done enough of it to get by, but the book really is still important, because I could be incapacitated, and my wife or someone else may have to fix me up or feed me!!

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Breeze

I love the tactical vest idea!!

I would suggest parachord instead of "heavy duty rope," because it is lighter and easier to tie off!

I also don't like MRE's because they are bulky, the civilian version typically doesn't have the all important heating element that the military uses, and I can pack more and better stuff myself! I don't need Cheetos in my survival gear! I like dehydrated fruits, jerky, and gel packs, and Multi Vitamin plus A and C pills.

I also don't see the point of a headlamp, because I don't plan on lugging around batteries!! A kinetic flashlight and a wind up radio may be ok, but only if I am taking a vehicle! If I am walking, I want to be light and fast!

[edit on 10-9-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I guess I have the headlamp in their because that is all I have right now and it is better than nothing. The only time I would use the headlamp is to get a fire going in the dark, thats about all I can think of.

I will keep in mind the paracord though...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I got this today in email. Top five items for 72 hour kit that are forgotten:

1. Medications. If you have medications that you have to take on a regular basis, you need to keep at least 3 days worth in your 72 hour kit. Many drugs break down in the extreme heat of a car, so ask your pharmacist how long they'll stay safe in your car and how long they'll stay effective. As an example, if your pharmacist tells you that a certain drug will last for 3 years at room temperature, but only 2 months if you keep it in your car, then you should use the drugs that are in your car every month or two and replace them with fresh drugs. The life expectancy of your drugs will, of course, be different depending on where you live and the season of the year.

2. Footwear/clothes. If you ever wear flip flops, heels, or dress shoes, then consider carrying a pair of quality shoes/boots in your car. Stick in at least one pair of quality socks and underwear as well. Remember the pictures and videos after 9/11 of people running barefoot, holding their $500 shoes? Imagine how your body would feel after doing that for a few miles.

3. Clothes for the wrong season. You should either carry clothes for both summer and winter, carry convertable clothes, or change the clothing contents of your kit every spring/fall. Shorts won't help much in the winter and insulated cover-alls won't help much in the summer.

4. Young children. If you have young children, they add a HUGE level of complexity to any survival situation. Can/will they eat your survival food? Do you have spare clothes/diapers/wipes for them? Do you have a way to manage their pain from teething/injuries? Do you have a way to transport them? It might be worth learning how to use a regular bedsheet to create a wearable baby sling and carry a bedsheet with you in your car. If you have a stroller with inflatable tires, do you carry spare tires and/or a tire repair kit?

5. Pain. If you aren't good at handling pain, learn proven techniques from someone you know who has done natural child-birthing, a midwife, birthing coach, or doula. In addition, consider carrying ibuprofen, anbesol, or even prescription pain medications. If you are concerned about a hurt pet, consider getting livestock lidocaine. (It requires a vetrenarian's prescription, but costs a fraction of human lidocaine.)

CX

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Good thread.
Theres a lot of people out there with money but no idea where to start.

I can't really add much to what everyone else has suggested, but i'd definately go for a decent water filter for sure, if the SHTF so much that all utilities are out, you can garuntee the shops will be stripped of water before you know it, or will probably be closed. So you'd better hope you either have water stocked or the ability to treat some.

As others have already said, don't scrimp on a decent knife. Learn how to sharpen it too, the best knife in the world is crap when it's blunt.

CX.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by emsed1

You had better get a couple of guns and lots of ammo if things are going to be that bad off. A semi automatic rifle with at least a 30 to a 100 round clip and a 1,000 rounds of ammo; and a pistol, 9mm or larger with at least an 11 round clip with at least a 1,000 rounds. You don't want to run out of bullets in a gun fight.

If you have to survive like all of you are thinking about, you will have to learn to kill or be killed. There is not enough small game animals out there for millions of people to live on. So... you will either kill or be killed if things get really bad. You will have to kill people and take all of their guns and supplies, just make sure you kill all of the bad people first, because they won't think twice about killing you.

Don't plan on roaming around the countryside living off of the land. That land already belongs to someone, and that someone and his friends and family will kill all newcomers that they don't know, unless you keep your distance and don't show any weapons and be on your way.

If you've got a $1,000 and are planning on surviving something bad in the future, then you need to get in with a farmer that knows how to live off the land by producing animals and gardens. You need to group up with others that have a $1,000 and start a co-operative with such a farmer type person. It could help you and him now, and all of you later.

Let's face it, most of you are city dwellers and have no place to go and you know you will be gunned down the moment you try to shoot wild game animals on someone elses property if things do get bad.

So... why not plan ahead, just in case. You already know that if nuclear bombs go off somewhere, they will go off in major metropolitan areas. If such a thing happens all of the people in all of the metropolitan areas will have to leave their homes and head somewhere out into the countryside and the faster you get out of town the better your chances of survival will be.

Those that will be slow to leave the big metropolitan areas after nuclear bombs strike major metropolitan areas will be killed for sure by gangs of people roaming neighborhoods looking for food in each and every house. Money won't be worth nothing if such nuclear strikes occur and gasoline and food will not be transported any more because those people have headed for the safety of the countryside themselves. People that will stay behind in the cities will be gunned down by gangs of people looking for food.

So... if you are really a survivalist, then make sure you have a friendly farmer out there in the country side that will take you in, if such a disaster takes place. Most farmers have one or more large out buildings that can make excellent homes in such an event. Beggers can't be choosers, it's life or death, realize it.

The farmer will realize that he can't stay up 24/7 protecting his farm. Farms will become communes where people will gather to protect each other. The farmer will need extra people to be on the look out with guns to protect one and all.

Your main goal if you want to survive such a possible catastrophe as nuclear attacks is to go out and visit some farmers and tell them what is really on your mind. I do some farming and many of my friends are farmers and they think the same way as I'm telling you. They know that yes they have farms, but they also know that they will be dead unless they can find people they can trust now and in the future if something goes wrong. So.... get out there and become friends with farmers.

Probably the best place to get to know farmers without scaring them off or becoming suspicious of you for some reason or another is to go to an animal auction where farmers are buying cattle, pigs, sheep, goats, chickens, geese, ducks etc..... You can strike up a friendly conversation and tell them you really know nothing about such animals and how they are kept and ask if there is some way you could possibly learn how to farm and/or take care of animals. If you like to eat beef, then you had better go to a cattle auction. If you like lamb, then you had better go to a sheep auction.

If things do get bad off, you don't want to be working on a sheep ranch when you don't like to eat lamb. If you like beef you had better meet people raising cattle and learn how to help calve (pull calves out of cows when they have birthing problems) and how to vaccinate cattle.

If you like to eat vegetables you should find a farmer that raises veggies and animals. Farmers are good people, they will be suspicious about you if you come off the wrong way, so ease into meeting farmers; remember they could be your salvation from the hoards of people that will be killing everyone in sight in the cities that are not in their raiding party.

There will be farmers that won't be interested in having you or your family around, yet there are many other farmers that would love to have you and your family around. I personally like having others around as long as I can feel I can trust them, but if I think they are going to steal something from me, then hit the road. So... don't take anything from a farmer unless you ask for it. On the other hand the farmer needs to be good natured, and if that farmer is not good natured you need to hit the road anyways and find yourself another farmer.

The rich people in most of the big cities already know farmers and ranchers because they go out and have permission to hunt on their lands already. So.. they have an "IN" with farmers and ranchers. If any of you don't have an "IN" with a farmer or rancher, then I suggest you might think about taking my advice, you know you will be dead in the city. In the city the food will run out quickly, and gunfire in the streets will be everywhere, and then the dead bodies will start diseases and gangs that have killed all of the people in the cities will be diseased.

If you can make friends with the farmers and ranchers, then you should have someplace that you will be able to go and be safe. Take care my friends.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Basic Needs

Shelter

4 season tent (as light as possible)
high grade plastic tarps
region-appropriate sleeping bag

Water

99% or better quality water filter, worth whatever price you have to pay
Potassium Iodine tablets
1/2 gallon of unscented bleach
BPA-free Nalgene-type water containers

Food

2 to 3 weeks non-perishable long-haul food

Safety

Self defense

12ga or 20ga pump action shotgun with an 18" barrel
fowl, small and large game ammunition
OC spray (with UV dye)

Health

First aid kit
Personal Needs kit (dental, feminine, vision, prescription medication)

Psychological

2 to 3 good books
religious text
deck of cards and pair of dice

Misc

Suitable hiking grade backpack (internal frame) in earth tone colors
Cutlery - mess kit, fixed blade full tang knife, folding pocket knife, hatchet and machette
Quality hiking boots (ideally waterproof)
Rain gear
Local/regional maps
Flashlights (at least two, several changes of batteries for each)
NOAA-band weather radio

Quoted to attempt to retain the formatting. I didn't bother to attach monetary values to these items as they are already ordrered from top to bottom in what I consider the order of importance (roughly based off of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs) but survival is at the end of the day a very personal topic and the ultimate decision is up to each of us to make for ourselves.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

I only started 2 months ago and have spent about $200 and the only things I am lacking now are gun and ammo, and a tent. Oh, and more food.
I made my own water filter with pantyhose, mesh screen, sand and filters I bought at an aquarium store. Cost around $10. Of course I bought water tablets too.

The dollar store has a ton of stuff you'll need. Between that , wal-mart, and watching for sales at my local sporting goods store, I've done quite well. With fall on its way, camping equipment is going on sale. I got a $49 Gerber knife on sale for $11 and if I hold off until next month I can get a pretty good tent for $29 Of course its not as good as I would like but those are in the $1k price range.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

If you've got a $1,000 and are planning on surviving something bad in the future, then you need to get in with a farmer that knows how to live off the land by producing animals and gardens. You need to group up with others that have a $1,000 and start a co-operative with such a farmer type person. It could help you and him now, and all of you later.

First
I would add a compound bow and lots of arrows to the list. Plus a book on how to nap flints and fletch arrows. A bow does not announce your presence like a gun does and is easier to find/make "ammo" for. You might also want a book on how to build traps and snares. Save the gun for self defense and do not waste ammo on game.

FARMERS
You will find farmers are a lot more wide awake on the problems with the US government than you would think. Check out Farmer to Consumer - Cow Shares

Something as simple as a hunting club and a hunting lease agreement can put you in contact with a farmer or farmers. I leased to a local club ($300/yr) as soon as I purchased my land (100ac) When ever I needed help - carpenter, mechanic, electrician... I would ask someone in the club and as likely as not one of the members had the skills I needed to hire or had a friend or relative. My northern city friends were horrified that I would mix livestock and a hunting club but I have found it is the best move I could have made!

If one of the food safety bills makes it through Congress and become a law, being part of a farm co-op may be a real necessity. The bills are designed to bankrupt independent farmers so the large corporations can buy up the land cheap. A farm co-op maybe the only way to get decent food at a fair price and to protect our farmers and farmland from a covert Corporate take over. The history behind the bills is HERE and an explaination of the problem with the bills is HERE and a point by point discussion HERE

Cow Shares, Herd Shares, Farm Shares

In states where dairy regulations forbid consumers their constitutional right to purchase raw milk in stores or directly from farmers, consumers are entering into share agreements with the farmer.

In a cow share or herd share agreement, consumers pay a farmer a fee for boarding their cow, (or share of a cow), caring for the cow and milking the cow. The cow share owner then obtains (but does not purchase) the milk from his own cow. This arrangement is similar to arrangements of owning a share in a racehorse or a bull.

Some states, such as Wisconsin, actually forbid cow share agreements (which represents a further abridgement of our constitutional rights.) In these states, consumers and farmers have set up corporations in which consumers hold non-voting shares. This permits the consumer to obtain raw milk and other products from the farm in which he shares ownership (a farm share). It is more difficult and more expensive to set up a farm share program than a cow or herd share program, but this arrangement has the advantage of providing the farmer with more protection
Source

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I have always felt that multi tools were extemporaneous.
I have on in my Go Bag, but I also have the actual tools to match.
A standard pair of Pliers, and a multi screwdriver.
Nothing beats the grip of a real pair of pliers.
Nothing grabs a screw like a real screwdriver.

As far as the $1000.00 goes.........

I would not spend a penny of it on anything.
Why?
Because survival is all about learning how to use what you have to your advantage.
While money can buy you what you need and that fits into that thought, it's easy to just buy what you need.

If you know how to acquire or manufacture what you need, you are ahead of the game.
All the money in the world would not buy that knowledge for you.

Practically speaking, though, it's great to have that advantage of money to spend.
I would buy a lot of what the others have posted. No need to reiterate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join