It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh the Horror: "Bizarre Tongue-Eating Parasite Discovered Off the Jersey Coast"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
The Link

The sea-dwelling parasite attacks fish, burrows into it, and then devours its tongue. After eating the tongue, the parasite proceeds to live inside the fish's mouth. There's a horror film waiting to be made about this thing. Surprisingly, the fish doesn't seem to suffer any severe impediment--just the loss of its tongue--and seems to have no trouble surviving with its new, far uglier tongue.

Very disturbing. I feel queasy.

While the isopod, a kind of louse, has been known to exist for a while now, discoveries of live specimens is rare. The BBC reports that "Fishermen near the Minquiers - islands under the jurisdiction of Jersey - found the isopod, a type of louse, inside a weaver fish." So no, the tongue-eater wasn't found in that Jersey. The Jersey Shore is still tongue replacing creature-free, if you stateside Northeasterners were worried about the thing ruining your late summer vacationing.

One more reason to be happy I am not a fish.

Enjoy.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
and people can't grasp the concept of life on other planets.
i'm still trying to digest what lives on earth. this place is truly amazing!
wow.
this would fit great in the NEW species thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Regarding parasites as truly amazing.....right. Remember that there are *shocker* parasites that live in humans. I've read some pretty shocking rates of infection in the USA, but people don't ever get tested.

You'd almost rather be killed than have a thing like that doing its thing lol.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
this would fit great in the NEW species thread.

Ah, thanks for the heads up!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Well, ummm, I'm just about to lose my mind trying to fathom the site of that photo. I just don't have words. OMG. OMG. OMG!!!!!!!!! ::runs screaming away from the computer:: OMG!!!!

And what the he)) kind of teeth does that fish have???

AND, it's just like sittin' there going - "Cheese"!!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by lel1111]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
that picture is really disturbing

its interesting that more people arent aware of the parasites we carry here in the U.S. maybe this might make a few more people aware

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lel1111
Well, ummm, I'm just about to lose my mind trying to fathom the site of that photo. I just don't have words. OMG. OMG. OMG!!!!!!!!! ::runs screaming away from the computer:: OMG!!!!

That looks like Human teeth and palate,

Something is fishy, lol

www.toothiq.com...

[edit on 113030p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by lel1111

That looks like Human teeth and palate,

Something is fishy, lol

www.toothiq.com...

[edit on 113030p://bWednesday2009 by Stormdancer777]
Yes i seen the teeth as well. But NEW? no this is old maybe new to were they found it but i remember watching a show on tv about things like this. it eats the tongue as it replaces it and the fish seems to have no clue. but no matter what i must say eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Now I know what has happened to all our politicians and why they lie so much...

This actually explains everything, here we all are looking for Reptilian eyes when really there are parasite creatures that have taken over their tongues...

Obviously these things took over during the Sushi craze of the 90's

[edit on 10-9-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Well that would explain it.I really wish that was the truth.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The teeth thingy was driving me crazy,

paleo.cc...

www.wildflorida.com...

Looking into the mouth of a sheepshead is a bit like looking into the mouth of a person. This fish has human-like incisors and strange looking molar teeth on the roof and bottom of its mouth. Sheepshead use these heavy-duty teeth to grind up blue crabs, oysters, and small fish.

I'll be darn.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
i saw this a while ago on cracked, along with a few others, i cant vouch for the accuracy of the information, but an interesting read all the same...

www.cracked.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The Cymothoa Exigua normally found off the coast of California.
Yes all you Calif surfers now have something else to scare you not just the great whites.

Most likely this parasite hitched a ride in the bilges of some cargo ship and they may show up anywhere.

There are many invasive species that have hitched rides to the US.
the fire ant, Kudzu 'the vine that ate the south', Felis catus, Sturnus vulgaris, Burmese python, Zebra mussel, and the list goes on and on,

Its about time we started to export some of our more fun ones.

top topics

join