It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had Einstein lived today, he would have shut down the Large Hadron Collider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This is stupid.

To accelerate a particle to exactly the speed of light, you need infinite energy.
We don't have infinite energy.
Therefore, we cannot accelerate a particle to exactly the speed of light (approx. 186,000 miles per second, 300,000 kilometers per second).
Conclusion: Infinite energy cannot be released from this reaction.

The LHC is only going to be accelerating particles to about .999999991c.

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
This is stupid.

To accelerate a particle to exactly the speed of light, you need infinite energy.

Not as much as the word passed around that the CERN folks will mini re-create the Big Bang in order to catch Higgs boson -- a word that made other folks uneasy about the LHC. In order to recreate the Big Bang, you need a singularity. When you run the film backward, you see the galaxies racing toward the same point. Then, all the galaxies gets squashed into something the size of the Milky Way, but that blop will continue to collapse, until it would become the size of the earth. That's not the end of the movie. This mass, what was once the universe, keeps collapsing and becomes the size of a baseball. You need lots of Nobel Prizes to toss around for the people to believe this crap. Our kitchen experience says otherwise.

But that's not enough. The baseball sized universe keeps collapsing . . . Yep. No holds barred -- all the way to "singularity," a physical entity smaller than atom.

Obviously, you can't recreate the Big Bang -- not even the tiniest model of it. The misunderstanding probably came from the word that Higgs boson was present during the moment when the singularity expanded as a free particle, but later fused with other constituents. According to the hypothesis, Higgs boson is inside proton.

So Higgs locked himself. You need some energy to break the door of the building, then some energy to break the door to the apartment, and some energy to break into the bathroom where you suspect Higgs is hiding. Do you have enough energy left to break into the bathroom?

LHC is very energetic beast designed for the purpose. So the proton gets busted, meaning the force that binds the three quarks that make a proton gets torn apart. Quarks start to fly around like crazy, but is their speed sufficient enough to break a quark apart when it collides with another quark?

LHC is supposed to deliver that punch.

(Quarks combine and make composites called "hadrons" -- like protons and neutrons. So when you smash protons and neutrons, you smash hadrons. Hence "Large Hadron Collider."

posted on Sep, 13 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Just to clear a few things up:

1. Infinite mass is kind of impossible
2. e=mc^2 is not really the equation Einstein was working on, it's backwards. The actual equation tells you why they can't accelerate anything to light speed
3. The LHC will not create a giant black hole and suck all of creation in

I swear, the rampant fear of scientific progress is really starting to scare me a little, I'm having visions of pitchforks and torches assembled around an observatory.

posted on Sep, 14 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stander
LHC is very energetic beast designed for the purpose. So the proton gets busted, meaning the force that binds the three quarks that make a proton gets torn apart. Quarks start to fly around like crazy, but is their speed sufficient enough to break a quark apart when it collides with another quark?

I guess I have to answer it by myself: the speed of quarks doesn't play any role, coz quarks don't get smashed for the simple reason that when they separate from each other as the proton gets smashed, they quickly decay. The process of decaying is what will be closely watched, coz the decay means releasing other particles, which decay later as well. One of them should be Higgs boson.

The attention focuses on the decay of top quark. When this little sucker kicks the bucket, plenty of action takes place and you need to be prepared for the occasion. Are the proton smashers at CERN prepared?

You be the judge . . .
www-d0.fnal.gov...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join