It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy to Make Jet Fuel From Seawater

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Navy to Make Jet Fuel From Seawater

dsc.discovery.com

Sept. 9, 2009 -- The U.S. Navy could soon be sailing through an ocean of jet fuel if new research proves economical.

By extracting dissolved carbon dioxide from seawater and combining it with hydrogen stripped from water molecules, Navy chemists hope to one day secure a cheap and steady fuel source for its fleet of jets.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I found this and thought I would share. I don't know what implications this would have on aquatic sea life, but if it is minimal to none, then good for the Navy. Sea water into rocket fuel...well, they always talk about similar processes for future missions to the moon, Mars & beyond...so, it stands to reason that they utilize some of this technology here on Earth too!

Enjoy!

dsc.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 9/9/2009 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Cool, if it's safe and efficient, maybe it can be used for business and commercial aviation. Can you imagine how much time, money and environmental impacts that would save? Surely other automobiles would be next. That's a peaceful military program I'd like to see come to fruition, Go Navy!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I am familar with this tech. I had plans to make it for using in my car, but lost them when my house burned down. The oil companies have a lot at stake here, and will do most anything to discredit this.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Looks like the US has already been looking at a Plan B in case there ever becomes a fuel sshortage from other countries. The ability to keep the military machine rolling in face of some sort of oil embargo or price spike would be huge.......

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I disagree with folks who say that if the NAVY leads the way, we will follow.
I see no precident for such a thing.
Afterall, the ARMY and probably the other branches, have ran their vehicles on pure bio-fuel for quite some time.

Yet I still pay 2.50 a gallon...for gasoline.

This is cool, but I wouldn't expect to see the rest of us peasants follow along ANY time soon.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I disagree with folks who say that if the NAVY leads the way, we will follow.
I see no precident for such a thing.
Afterall, the ARMY and probably the other branches, have ran their vehicles on pure bio-fuel for quite some time.

Yet I still pay 2.50 a gallon...for gasoline.

This is cool, but I wouldn't expect to see the rest of us peasants follow along ANY time soon.

Don't feel sad, peasant.

Just feel glad to know your place in the world, and know pleasures that the rich never will.

But you're right, what they have and what we have are decidedly different, and guess who has the advantage?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Let me get this straight.

The suggestion is to use sequestered CO2 from the ocean water to make fuel, then burn the fuel and release CO2 into the atmosphere.

That's gotta be great for global warming, right?

Just release all the CO2 in the ocean into the atmosphere... like the previous inhabitants of Venus did... oops.

If we're talking operational fuel for the flight deck so no resupply, cool. But if we're talking tech for civilian sector fuel-

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chakotay

Let me get this straight, you don't realize that manmade CO2 emmissions are so negligable in regards to climate matters as to even be unmentionable?
That those same CO2 emmissions aren't EVAPORATED into the air every day of the year, 24 hours per day... non-stop...

Or that the largest contributor BY FAR is weathering of rock all around the world, 24 hours a day, non stop?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Isn't this exactly what we've been saying for years? Extracting molecules from water to power our own vehicles/ships?

No doubt they have achieved this already in some form or another and are using it without acknowledgment of the public.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AceOfAces

Nah, dude, we're not. All our # still runs on good ol' JP8. Although I hear the tankers brag that their hoopties can run on just about anything from kerosene to french fry grease. And then there's the nuclear vessels, but I've never seen any of our hardware running on water/hydrogen cells. Maybe some prototypes? Apparently the hydrogen/electric vehicles are a whole lot quiter. It'd be WAY easier to sneak in a hydrogen fuel-cell tank or HMMWV, but I don't guess they'd run for very long.

[edit on 2009/9/9 by Griever0311]

top topics

join