It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reality is based on a solid foundation of lies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Reality is Built on a solid foundation of lies

These lies are typically referred to as myth. Some people use myth as a pejorative term, an attempt to discredit that which they are saying is a myth as something impotent because it's not "real".

Yet Myths are behind everything we believe. Even in science, your mythos might be a deterministic universe or a non-deterministic universe.

More importantly, the myths we allow ourselves to believe or that we continually tell ourselves, are the seeds which make us who we are and what we will be. Obviously genetics plays a huge role in the physical elements of what our body will be, but the myth we put into our "belief system" will either work with, against, or independent of these genes.

The myth you put in your "belief system" can empower you, or make you helpless. It can cause you to bite your tongue in social situations you disagree with, or go off the rails and hit someone. Each of these actions will determine the next phase of your life and both are based on your beliefs.

Beliefs are all lies.

Some will bristle at this. Some believe that a lie means something is impotent, that it can only cause corruption. However, entire civilizations are built on these lies for generations. And some of these become self-fulfilling prophecies only because actions were taken based on the lies which were believed.

In the end, lies are only problematic if they get in the way of the current lies in the "belief system". And then, only if they reduce the power of those who operate on said "belief system". Some lies might actually "upgrade" the current "belief system". Such is the lies of Christ. An attempt to upgrade a specific belief system (Judaism), with the result of making the new form of it accessible to a larger population (Gentiles). Not to mention the other "upgrades" or "modifications" which occurred in this process, some of which completely changed the meanings. In reality every new generation has thrown it's own lies on top of the collective lies within Christianity making it something different than it was before, like a giant generational game of "telephone".

What's interesting is that some things are harder to believe than others. This is based primarily on how much something conflicts with what else is already inside of our "belief system". However things which our minds are most resistant to believe can have the greatest effect on us when we do believe them.

For example, one who has a near death experience might believe they were sent back to live life differently. That can have a HUGE impact on the trajectory of their life and the lives of others. Whether or not their experience was "truthful" has no bearing on the situation. What matters is simply that they believe it.

Although many claim to only seek truth, no matter what truth they find, they will always attempt to place that truth into their own narrative, which is built on a solid foundation of lies and deceit. Their mind will wrap it up in something which fits the way they feel the world actually is. Whether you are an atheist or a Creationist, you will see the next scientific fact to be announced in two completely different perspectives. However both will have one thing in common, they will confirm whatever each person already believes to be true.

How we feel about things is also effected by our "belief system". When a loved one dies, if we believe they are going to a better place, we will feel better about the situation. We may be able to get through the stages of loss much easier, than if we get hung up on the belief that they don't exist anymore in any capacity. This is why Nihilism can be, in some situations, a serious impediment, unless the person who has that "belief system" has also gained a "co-processor" which empowers them to continue in the face of their belief that nothing matters.

The question for the engineering like minds then becomes, "How can I change my reality through changing my beliefs?"

At first glance you may think that you have to be duped in order to believe something, and although that can help, it isn't necessarily the case. For example, some people just want to believe in that which is being proposed to them. Nothing more is required than their desire to believe, no matter how outlandish it may appear. Note, that many Christians will say "All you have to do is repent and accept that Jesus died for your sins, and your life will change". This is why that saying can actually work. Once again, it doesn't matter if this is factual... it matters that you believe it is.

But how can you believe something which goes against everything else you already believe? A few beliefs become stumbling blocks. For example, the belief that believing in something which is a lie is harmful. That one right there can get in the way of believing anything. And although it may be come to fruition that if I believe there are no cars on the road and walk on the highway that I will get ran over, that doesn't mean believing in lies always brings harm.

Another issue that can really hamper the ability to "upgrade your belief system" is the belief that possibilities are determined by what others say is possible. This is the one which most of us fall into. For example, our parents tell us that you have to do X to be successful, and if you do Y you will be a failure. Until we come to the realization that their beliefs were based on the results of their own experiences and conditions, we won't be able to discover if this is absolutely true for ourselves because our beliefs won't let us.

Even more damaging are the beliefs we accept about who we are. If we accept, that life will always be hard and miserable, well then it will be for us. However, if we make room for the possibility that we can have an enjoyable life, then we have much more chance at making that our reality.

Obviously it's more difficult to believe something which is in stark contrast to our current environment, than something which is in line with it. For this reason, it's important to program yourself in an area which is removed from external stimuli which reinforces the beliefs you want to change. Jesus admonishes his followers to go into a closet to pray. He also takes himself into the wilderness to face down his own demons. Ritual can help a lot with this. Ritual makes something we believe in seem more real. It reinforces the belief in our minds, thus aligning our actions and attitudes with this "belief system".

Changing one's beliefs can have very dramatic effects, sometimes even very negative effects. Especially if we remove, without a proper replacement, the beliefs which allow us to maintain a positive trajectory. However, in some situations, this is what we must endure to get to that which we desire more. Sometimes our reality has to be dismantled to allow for a new one to emerge. Although, I would advise that anyone looking to change their reality in a huge way not start off with the belief that everything must go. Study the concept of the "Union of the Opposites" to better understand how to make these progressions without all of the upheaval that can come with the blank slate or pendulum method.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Star and flag - perhaps an serious comment later once I read it again with real focus.

All I can say out quickly, is that accepting these myths are way of living in the past -- which isn't healthy!

Thank you!

-v

[edit on 9-9-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

I actually think that all human civilization is built on myths.

The thing is, that you can replace these with new ones.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I did not read much, but i read most. i will repost when i get time, but what i want to say is you have got it dead on. many people are realizing this, and paradoxically, are creating a totally new reality.

this new reality is nature based, something we can all say is at the most basic of levels, which ensures a real reality. not a man made one.

star, flag.

thanks for writing all this out, i suggest you turn it into audio so we can listen.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Great idea... I will put something together... perhaps even a video...

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Beautiful.

You my friend are the touch of the magic wand.

Edit to add feeling:

What you have said is what makes this human condition so much worth the waiting line. I am now having a splendid day thanks to you.

Thank you and may you be well.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by awakened sleeper]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Okay, I see your point and in my opinion it's not false. I have slighty distinct view though. I wouldn't call them lies exactly, but rather misunderstandings or perhaps unpurposeful lies, yet I must admit that there also exists purposeful and plain lies.

And what you said about civilizations, yeah, they are built upon pyramid of lies (or misunderstandings and misinterpretations). In my mind, apart of purposeful lying, this error is mainly caused by the fact that people have not understood. They have misinterprated everything by subjective touch, failing to see the reality. And furthermore - I must add - that this incapability to see reality aroses from subjectivity; meaning that we add false interpretations and "feelings" to the observation, experience.

I am not sure if anyone is in control of this pyramid of lies - and I am not sure if it's necessary, because - as you said - it can be changed.

All the best,

-v

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by awakened sleeper

You're very welcome, and thanks for positive feedback!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Yep, that's very similar to how I approach it as well.. that the lies for the most part are due to interpretations painted with colors of the subjective realm. In that way it is more like a snake eating itself. Like a giant echo chamber of the subjective impressions of objective phenomena.... typically anyway :-)

Thanks for your comments!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

No problem at all, always delighted to read some of the enlighted views about the reality!

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

[...]That the lies for the most part are due to interpretations painted with colors of the subjective realm.[...]

By the way, your words are almost exactly similar to the phrase I typed down on my diary when I reflected the idea of subjectivity. Reality is the canvas which we paint with our subjective interpetations -- the colours!.

Now, the task ahead for those who would like to know the "truth", is to reveal the lies; because by exposing the lies, one discovers the truth - hopefully

All the best,

-v

[edit on 9-9-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think he's talking more about metaprogramming. That is, upgrading the lies that make up our belief system to come up with a more desirable belief system. To me this sounds a lot better than searching for some kind of objective truth. Bottom line is you still gotta get food clothing and shelter, belief systems, economics, societies, culture, all that is just fanciness and indulgence. Then again that's my belief system.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Nevertheless, if our reality is based on a foundation of lies it doesn't change anything - it is still reality.. because there is nothing else.

The brain organized everything so that we weren't a chaotic mess that wouldn't be able to survive or think. What is beyond our perception doesn't change this reality because this reality relies on its current perceptions.

posted on Sep, 12 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
img24.imageshack.us...

Man is the only being
who can overcome himself.
His method is the Lie.
What makes one man
different from another
are the glorious possibilities
his lies contain.
— Hyatt

new topics