It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Obama faces 30 death threats a day, a 400 percent increase over those against George W. Bush"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The Link

Obama faces 30 death threats a day, a 400 percent increase over those against George W. Bush when he was president, according to Ronald Kessler, a veteran investigative journalist and conservative and author of the new book, In the President's Secret Service: Behind the Scenes with Agents in the Line of Fire and the Presidents They Protect.

Wow. Stunning.

The right-wing hate speech polluting the debate over health care is generating more and more threats against President Barack Obama, some truly frightening.

[W]hen Obama visited Phoenix on Aug. 17, local minister Steven Anderson of the Faithful World Baptist Church, who strongly expresses hatred for Obama in many of his sermons, told his congregation that he wished him dead.

In a disturbing twist, it was discovered that Chris Broughton, the man who brought an AR-15 assault rifle to the Phoenix rally where Obama spoke, had attended Anderson's sermon. In a later interview, Broughton said he concurred with his pastor's wish to see Obama "die and go to hell." As many as 12 men were seen walking around the Phoenix Convention Center with guns on that day.

Freaks.

It is really pretty disgusting. It is also so very telling. Absolute loonies and their guns. All the talk about 'I can bring my gun to any rally I want because it is my RIGHT' really looks pretty pathetic when you realize, this was nto happining with Bush and now it is with Obama and it just so happens that there is a 400% increase in death threats.

The right has lost their minds, and please don't tell me this is not just the work of the right.

How absolutely disturbing that the right side of the political spectrum believes that violence is the answer.

Freaks.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Animal]

Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/9/2009 by Mirthful Me]

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Sorry, I have a hard time believing this. Especially when stores in the US were selling book bags with "kill Bush" on them, t-shirts. There were art exhibits that showed Bush with guns to his head and Air America radio hosts who called for Bush's assassination. That kind of main stream acceptance of assassination has never been seen before.

I remember some guy was arrested for threatening Obama early in the year and I looked up the police report. Apparently the guy had been threatening Bush for years and was only arrested when he threatened Obama.

The media is definitely bringing more attention to it now, thats for sure. Its just another way to attack and demonize his critics.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Wimbly]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
As a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and someone who for the most part supports Obama, I find myself in a curious position.

I agree with the claim that it is the right of a law abiding citizen to carry firearms.

I also think that carrying one to a presidential event, for clearly the purpose of intimidation, is about as stupid an act as can be conceived, and calls into question in my mind the competence of these people to exercise good judgment in the carry and potential use of firearms.

Just imagine the response had this happened at any Bush or Cheney event.

As far as I am concerned, a huge percentage of this unthinking hysterical hatred is because The Man has become The Black Man.

And the knee-jerk, reflexive denial that that could even possibly be the case is part of the evidence I see that supports it.

Clearly, not everybody fears Obama due to his race. It is my opinion that the percentage of those that do is much higher than has been acknowledged.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

I agree. There is room for reasoned debate. No need to utter death threats.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think it is a matter of agents looking harder for threats against Mr. Obama than they were for President Bush.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I read about the 400% increase yesterday and I was aghast! It's hard to believe that people are taking things to this level. And the radio and TV hosts are just feeding the frenzy. There are people out there just looking for a reason and an excuse to take things into their own hands and some of these more outspoken radio personalities and other people with a platform are very nearly inciting the public.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Hate to burst some peoples bubbles around Obama isnt black... Hes mixed his mother was White his Fater was Black and that makes him 50/50. He isnt the first balck anything, hes the first mixed President.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

More then when we had movies, TV shows, and merchandise being sold based on Bush's assassination? Are you kidding me?

I cant even imagine the uproar if Rush called for Obama's assassination, yet Randi Rhodes and another Air America host got away with it several times.

I think its just that you didn't care about it under Bush and now you do.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

Right. Put pictures of all US presidents in a row, and the only thing that will make Obama's stand out is his ears. Sure.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Actually Obama is simply the first Dark-Skinned president. There are a handful of presidents that had black ancestry in their families, they just never acknowledged them and hardly resembled them.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Sure his skins a little darker then must other presidents but hes 50/50 a mutt if you will. He isnt the first black anything, hes 50% White/ 50% black. Hell if you want to get to the bottom of it, his father wasnt even American. To me the First Black Presidents Family must have been slaves..-) then will talk.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Oh I guess the numbers have increased recently. The first time I checked (in June) it was only two hundred percent. I guess Obama has really PO some people and I very much doubt it is because of his skin color. Actually things have been pretty peaceful and mild here in the USA. Our tea parties and Town Halls are mild in comparison to the following, perhaps that is because we have tre first and second Amendments.

Violent anti-globalisation protests overshadowed the Group of 20 (G20) summit Wednesday in London as campaigners vandalised banks and clashed with heavily armed riot police....

Some 4,000 protesters converged with chants of ‘hang a banker’ and ’storm the banks’ on the Bank of England and later vandalised the London headquarters of the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS)...

Protesters cheered as an office chair was used to smash the large, blacked-out windows of the RBS building.

The private home of its former chief executive, Fred Goodwin, was attacked by vandals last week in Edinburgh, Scotland...

Meanwhile, bankers leaning out of office windows taunted demonstrators down below by waving 10-pound notes at them, provoking a response of shouts and cheers.
Source

The Thai prime minister's vehicle was trapped among angry protesters Tuesday afternoon...

Groups of anti-NATO protesters skirmished with police in central Strasbourg Saturday...

At least a dozen people and eight policemen were injured here Monday when the police baton charged protesters carrying a youth's body near the official residence of Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh, police said. The clash broke out after over a hundred protesters carrying the body of a 23-year-old youth, Gulshan Meghani, wanted to march towards the chief minister's residence to stage a protest,....

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
i'm surprised it's such a low number
i know i wouldn't jump in front of a bullet for him
not that i'm for giving him a late term abortion but am still surprised it's such a low number

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Race, race, race, race, race, race, race, race....oh I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about healthcare. Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush, Bush...oh I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about the economy. As if we never heard anyone wish horrible things about any Republican president or burn effigies of him, lol. Just because we all don't get down on our knees and bow to the Saviour certainly doesn't mean we are racists. In fact if the media would actually show anything other than Anti Obama sentiment and quit condemning people expressing their rights as Americans we might actually see this underlying tones of so called hatred and racisms dematerialize back into the thin air it was created from. Just because a person brings an unloaded firearm to show his support for gun rights and the NRA that means he wants to kill the president. Let me clue you in on something, if our presidents policies are really that mainstream and popular, than surely the masses should easily be able to drown out any opposing sentiment but unfortunately at this point in history with Bush gone the loony left and have no one to throw rocks at and when the Republicans choose not to fight back the only enemy left is the 'crazy racist non union gun toting carbon emitting hate mongers' who won't let the democratically controlled houses vote in Obama's world saving policies even though they could tomorrow. All presidents have threats on their lives and our tax dollars provide some of the best security in the world for the guy and if he is worried about it he should do us all a favor and resign.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
this is sick and gross. killing a person because you dont like them? who the hell do these people think they are?

if i could kill every person i ever disliked in my life.. wow that would be a lot of dead people. but guess what? im a normal human being and i learn forgiveness and how to turn that hatred of a person into understanding and peace.

if you cant do that.. you are a cop out piece of crap and you should be in jail.

obama doesnt deserve this. bush blew up the world trade centers and started a war giving americans false information... and yet he got less death threats?

Hah. MAKES SENSE?

[edit on 9-9-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jnewell33
Just because a person brings an unloaded firearm to show his support for gun rights and the NRA that means he wants to kill the president.

He said it was loaded.

Let me clue you in on something, if our presidents policies are really that mainstream and popular, than surely the masses should easily be able to drown out any opposing sentiment

You know... Not everyone believes that the American way is to "drown out opposing sentiment". Some of us actually believe in the freedom of expression of ideas and opinions.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
The Link

Freaks.

It is really pretty disgusting. It is also so very telling. Absolute loonies and their guns. All the talk about 'I can bring my gun to any rally I want because it is my RIGHT' really looks pretty pathetic when you realize, this was nto happining with Bush and now it is with Obama and it just so happens that there is a 400% increase in death threats.

The right has lost their minds, and please don't tell me this is not just the work of the right.

How absolutely disturbing that the right side of the political spectrum believes that violence is the answer.

Freaks.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Animal]

The problem is that Bush didn't want to take that right away from them. Now, granted, this is in poor taste. And pretty stupid when you come to think of it. However, to call people 'freaks' for truly doing what is their right in a nation that you (assuming you truly are American) live in is pretty narrow minded.

Yes, it sucks that he is getting more threats. He is trying to do things during one of the most stressful times in our nations history. Things that not everyone agrees with.

Now for these guys to open carry AR15s around, well, that is just stupid. Plus, I didn't know it would be legal to bring an assault weapon like that to a location where the president was speaking. Well, they can stay outside but the story was making it seem like they were walking around inside where the speech was given.

Just for safety reasons and security of the president of the United States. I would say the same for Bush. Then again, like I said, he didn't want to reduce or remove the right to bare arms.

Edit to add: The right is not the only ones resorting to violence though the generalization that simply because someone carries a gun means they will do violence is pretty narrow minded again. The left side of the political spectrum is resorting to similar actions but with physical confrontations instead of the visual ones. The problem is that one of those left wing union thugs is going to touch the family member of one of those right wing gun toting nuts and someone's going to get shot.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by dariousg]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12

obama doesnt deserve this. bush blew up the world trade centers and started a war giving americans false information... and yet he got less death threats?

Hah. MAKES SENSE?

9/11 was carried out by Muslim Islamo-fascists...AKA Terrorists.

False information? I wonder where he got it.......

"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

"If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
--President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
--Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
--Sandy Bergler, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

"[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
-- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

"Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
-Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

"Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
-- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

"There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
-- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
-- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
-- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

"He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
-- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
-- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
-- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

"Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
-- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003

Anyway, the only death Mr. Obama deserves is a political one. Lame Duck by 2010 and out the door in 2012.

Screw the Country, Obama must fail? Nahhhh To Save the Country, Obama must fail.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
HAHA you actually believe what the government tells you? are you really that in the dark that you dont know 9/11 was an inside job? look... even some of the not-so-smart people i know, along with extreme conservatives know it was an inside job. it doesnt take a highly intelligent person to figure that one out.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join