It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Microsoft Optical Mouse Is Working in Linux?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Today I was talking to an ATS member and we came to the discussion of Windows vs. Linux. I encouraged him to install Linux. I've used Linux a lot in the past. I told him that once I get all of my hardware supported and all the Windows programs running just fine in Linux, then I'm done with Windows. Needless to say, I've check the status of my hardware drivers for Linux and found that I might be able to get all supported.

So needless to say I've decided to wipe Windows off my hard drive and install Ubuntu Linux. One thing I have noticed the most during the installation process and right now is that my Microsoft optical mouse is working 100%!!!!

It was working perfectly a couple of years ago with my windows XP up until few months ago. I noticed that it kept going off. I had to unplug then plug the mouse over and over again to get it working again. I tried all different kinds of solutions. Tried different forums. People kept saying that I need to buy a new mouse.

Now, I am on Linux right now. The mouse is working perfectly.

What is going on? It seems like there is a time limit on this mouse. This mouse is working perfectly fine right now. Something is going on in the background.

I do not like the looks of this. The hardware is obsolete because of their say so? We have to buy new software and hardware because they say so?

I honestly thought my mouse was broken until now.

Is this a conspiracy? Yep. This proved for me.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   
theres more than one reason why it would be failing in xp, that isn't a conspiracy

failing usb drivers, patches that cause problems, a failing usb port.

i don't know if you are serious about this, but if you are, you aren't trying hard enough to find a real solution to the problem.

usb is pretty bad in windows xp anyway, windows 7 is awesome though its better than windows xp or vista.

i've found linux to be a waste of my time, though i've used it on and off since 2.0 kernels

i'd say linux is a conspiracy, a conspiracy not to pay for anything!

[edit on 9-9-2009 by demongoat]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

theres more than one reason why it would be failing in xp, that isn't a conspiracy failing usb drivers, patches that cause problems, a failing usb port.

Fail one, fail all. All other hardware I have are working perfectly in Windows XP. So that's not it.

i don't know if you are serious about this, but if you are, you aren't trying hard enough to find a real solution to the problem.

See above.

It was working perfectly for about a year. This is brand new mouse.

And yes I have worked hard to find a real solution to this problem.

usb is pretty bad in windows xp anyway,

Right. However, all other devices are working perfectly.

i've found linux to be a waste of my time, though i've used it on and off since 2.0 kernels

I haven't tried Windows 7. But I don't think Linux is a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

i'd say linux is a conspiracy, a conspiracy not to pay for anything!

LOL, that is funny.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

once I get all of my hardware supported and all the Windows programs running just fine in Linux, then I'm done with Windows.

So then you really are not done with Windows......why not use open source software? Isn't that one of the big reasons for going to Linux, is to get away from everything Windows? why not use a boot disk with say...SLAX, or Backtrack on it? Depending on what yo want to do of course.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

So then you really are not done with Windows......why not use open source software? Isn't that one of the big reasons for going to Linux, is to get away from everything Windows? why not use a boot disk with say...SLAX, or Backtrack on it? Depending on what yo want to do of course.

That is what I have been doing. The only problem is that some of the software and hardware I want are only supported in Windows.

But this isn't the point of this thread. Microsoft OWN products aren't supported after some time in their OWN OS of your choice.

I am still using my Microsoft mouse with no problem in Linux.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Sorry, was not trying to derail your thread. But, your Micro$oft mouse working in Linux is not a conspiracy. You should have posted this on the BTS boards.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Sorry, was not trying to derail your thread. But, your Micro$oft mouse working in Linux is not a conspiracy. You should have posted this on the BTS boards.

Maybe.

But do you not think Micro$I-IIT is a conspiracy in itself?

I mean come on.

Remember the Antitrust crap?

I don't remember the details but there was a fire house that had this light bulb that was still on since early 1900's.

Things that you buy are designed to break down within short amount of time to keep the profit up.

I think the Microsoft motto is "Create problems then create solutions to create more money"

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

You're inventing a conspiracy where there isn't one. (I'm no fan of MS either, I use Macs).

I would guess you either had a bad mouse driver in windows or you had the USB port set to enable "sleep" on connected devices to save energy. (A well hidden setting which may have been enabled inadvertently). If the mouse was going away after a while of being connected this would be my choice of likely culprit.

Linux uses generic drivers for hardware like keyboards, pointing devices, etc. I would bet the generic driver in Linux is working where as the driver in Windows had either gotten corrupted or may have been the wrong one. It could have even been a compatibility issue caused by another hardware driver or even software.

If you want to see real "programmed obsolescence" you should look at the operating system and hardware specs conspiracy - that one's for real. Hard drives that die immediately after the warranty goes out also seems to be a very common problem. I don't think pulling that scam with a mouse would be a very intelligent scam as it is not a product MS has a monopoly on, there are thousands of mouse devices ranging from dirt cheap to extremely expensive and there is just no financial incentive there for MS.

Being forced to spend a couple of hundred to upgrade your operating system and several hundred to upgrade your hardware every few years is what I would consider financially "attractive" for MS and its hardware partners.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

You're inventing a conspiracy where there isn't one.

Inventing a conspiracy when it involves Microsoft? Did we forget about the U.S. vs. Microsoft antitrust crap? Micro$|-|it has long arms.

(I'm no fan of MS either, I use Macs).

Well, then

I would guess you either had a bad mouse driver in windows or you had the USB port set to enable "sleep" on connected devices to save energy.

Like I said: fail one, fail all.

driver in Windows had either gotten corrupted or may have been the wrong one. It could have even been a compatibility issue caused by another hardware driver or even software.

The mouse has worked all the time before. Nothing to do with drivers or usb failure. Since the mouse has not been working, I've reinstalled windows many times.

If you want to see real "programmed obsolescence" you should look at the operating system and hardware specs conspiracy - that one's for real. Hard drives that die immediately after the warranty goes out also seems to be a very common problem.

Now, I am very interested lol. I know all about the "programmed obsolescence" but this is the first time I've heard about hard drives. What makes any other devices any different?

I don't think pulling that scam with a mouse would be a very intelligent scam as it is not a product MS has a monopoly on, there are thousands of mouse devices ranging from dirt cheap to extremely expensive and there is just no financial incentive there for MS.

Well, THIS happens to be a Microsoft product. Think about companies tied to Microsoft.

Being forced to spend a couple of hundred to upgrade your operating system and several hundred to upgrade your hardware every few years is what I would consider financially "attractive" for MS and its hardware partners.

Well, duh, isn't that the point?

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
strange man,but even if there is a conspiracy,i thing it was only a bad driver or system file or something,the good thing is that it works perfectly on linux so...good for linux (:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Hello fellow Ubuntu user! I was so glad to have switched from windows to linux...

Anyway - I don't know if this will help you or not - but did you know that Microsoft actually uses Linux to write the coding for windows?

Ubuntu seems to be able to immediately adapt anything and everything I plug into it and run it just fine.

Cheers!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Stillalive

strange man,but even if there is a conspiracy,i thing it was only a bad driver or system file or something,the good thing is that it works perfectly on linux so...good for linux (:

LOL thanks man.

Let's take a look what came out of Bill Gate's mouth...

His complaint is that open source creates a license "so that nobody can ever improve the software."

Conspiracy? You decide.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mf_luder

Hello fellow Ubuntu user! I was so glad to have switched from windows to linux...

Hello there! Actually I've switched back and forth so many times. Mostly because of the hardware and windows software issues. I just installed ubuntu linux once more time since I've checked the status of hardware support.

Anyway - I don't know if this will help you or not - but did you know that Microsoft actually uses Linux to write the coding for windows?

No, I did not know that. But it figures, right?

Ubuntu seems to be able to immediately adapt anything and everything I plug into it and run it just fine.

Unfortunately that is very true. A Microfart product breaking down after a period of time in it's own OS working in another OS is telling a lot.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
A "Microsoft" mouse only because it is branded with their name and logo. More than likely manufactured by Logitech, who appear to have a lock on the HID market. You can plug a "Microsoft" branded mouse into a Mac and it will work fine.

I think your Windows box had some issues with USB drivers or a USB port.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Sorry everybody. I have been very drunk last night LOL.

You all are probably right. My Windows or USB ports have some issues.

Thanks for the replies LOL.

Me drunk :shk:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Told you it would end up on BTS....lol

top topics

join