It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: New Point Vacuum, Member bought Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Basically i had this idea a while ago, and posted it but it didnt get much attention, so i rethought it a few nights ago and came up with an even better idea. Wrap your minds around this

Member bought space, sold in the form of an auction ( ie highest bidder gets the space until they are bought out by another member) using BTS/ATS points. ( This doesnt need to be your thread, you can put a bid in for any thread to go on the "wall")

The point of it

1.) to use points, which lets face it...are useless...this can make them valuable.

2.) More good threads sponsored by members are seen by the community. If you feel strongly about a thread, put points on it....if the thread gets enough points to surpass threads already on the "wall" it will appear there until knocked off by another thread.

3.) Example

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9204833e1361.gif[/atsimg]

5.) Bidding example

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/845a1f9902f0.gif[/atsimg]

--------------------------

I would like to get the mmods take on this as well as the community, do you guys think this si as good of an idea as i do?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
if you have a better way to do the above please share
im no code master so im not sure how difficult these things would be to put into place.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I dig it.

Would be nice to have something to spend those points on.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I must say while I too see the point system here as something a little less than useless... I can't say I care much for your idea either... no offense

I think they should just get rid of them altogether. I never did see the point of docking people meaningless points to try and keep them in line. What good are the points anyway? Oh yay I can go on R.A.T.S.... big deal.

I do applaud you for trying to come up with something that would give them any kind of meaning or value... even if the idea doesn't strike my fancy... maybe others will like it?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

my thoughts exactly
right now they are just sitting there pretty much useless. At least this way the points will have some meaning even if it pretty small.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

i respect your opinion, but i guess the point of this is just that, since they will never go away might as well put them to work

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

Well I like the idea. Not sure if it would happen anytime soon though, plus it might start the whole 'click war' and ego issue all over again.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Hmm well the way i thought about it was that the points would be "given" anonymously to a certain thread the reader felt deserved further exposure.

i suppose there could be a ATS NWO forming to take control of the flow of ATS points lol.

i actually considered this entire issue when i came up with it, i personally couldnt picture it happening. Maybe friends supporting friends threads??? you would need a huge click in order to overshadow the combined points of everyone else on ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This would create an ATS ellite group of people who have accumulated massive points. Then these elite can use their fortunes to proppgate their ideology. Eventually, they will become mad with power and dominate the threads untill our posts are inflated and rendered worthless!!! This will go on until an ATS rebellion occures and a message board coup takes place.

Or not...

-E-

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
hehe we are talking 5 slots on the right side
with each bid lasting a certain amount of time. If all the kinks got ironed out this could be prevented.

Those with massive stores of points would run out eventually

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
...pretty much useless,would be a better idea to get rid of all the points system crap .

Why the hell ATS want peoples to gain points ?

and why thoses peoples want thoses points ?

Reward ?

Sorry i dont need a reward or something for my ideas or opinion.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I think the points are a good way to reflect your contributions to the site. I for one, when I come across a post that really hits me, check the points of the poster. It is a way to kind of see how much the person really knows in a way.

As for using points to get more exposure for your thread, that would just make everyone keep seeing the same threads. No diversity. Sometimes, even the dumbest threads have some information that can be gleaned and used. With this idea of yours we wouldn't be able to see the whole spectrum of ideas and thoughts.

This is all just my opinion. You could take from it what you want. I like the way it is set up now. If I could buy more exposure to some of the threads that people haven't responded to, what am I really saying? Look at me, look at me! That wouldn't be cool either.

new topics

top topics

join