It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did i get a U2U to Digg the Alex Jones hoax story?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Since when did ATS make it their duty to correct inaccurate sources?

You're kidding right?

What do you think we do around here, play Hungry Hippo and wait for the Jones' of the world to enlighten us?

Like i just said, everyday every news source reports innaccurate news. There are millions of sources out there that are just downright lies.

Yet Jones is the only one worth attacking.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Speaking as someone who listens to Infowars on a semi regular basis and could be considered a fan of some of Jone's previous works......I gotta say that AJ has nobody else to blame for this bone headed debacle from today except for himself.

You cant fault ATS for doing the right thing, and that is exposing a known lie for what it was.

Jones used sensationalism and mayhem to promote this "big thing" and in the end it was a P.R. stunt that blew up in his face and left a lot of people pissed off.

It was a stupid, poorly conceived stunt to garner attention and was even more poorly executed by himself, his staff and that geek Charlie Sheen. They did the entire movement a huge disservice today and flushed what little credibility we all had earned right down the toilet.

Dont let your emotional attachment to Jones get the better of you, he passed off this turd as the truth, and now he is to wreap the rewards of his actions.

You cant blame anyone at ATS for pointing out a lie for what it was. To know this was a farce and not let it be known would have been an even bigger wrong.

$0.02

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
You ought to go back and read my previous posts. As I said before, I am neither attacking ats or defending alex jones.

Its not about being for or against Alex Jones, its about calling out deliberate actions to mislead people, in order to get attention. I think that the decision to bring this hoax to peoples attentions is justified.

ANd no, I never said I wanted to live in any fantasy world, and i dont really appreciate the insinuation. There will always be innaccurate sources out there, heck, the msm reports innaccurate things daily. I see no u2u's going out about any of it.

Because the scale of what they write is no where near as influential as Alex Jones. Claiming that this is the most important thing for 14 years is pretty damn important to conspiracy theorists dont you think?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This whole conversation is BS. BAN ALL of Alex Jones work from this site please. If he is a hoaxer and doesn't tell the truth do it. Ban any article linking to his site. Ban any news story or video containing AJ, because he is really part of the NWO and a puppet like everyone here seems to think. Ban the guy and put out a press release while you are at it. Ban him please at least then I'll know what the agenda is here on ATS.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I think this whole thing is ridiculous as Alex Jones credibility is unfairly being smeared all over the place. This 'ploy' to gain the attention of many has worked and it is being misrepresented as a HOAX which to me is totally an ignorant statement. Although he did not at first put up a disclaimer and may have fooled some of you, once the whole situation had presented itself fully with the added info, he stated it was his plan all along. However fishy/ bogus this may sound there is no evidence to state that it was some sort of discrediting disinformation scheme to discredit us 'truthers'. I think the personal insults on AJ needs to stop because they are just ridiculous.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by born2BWild]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Is it really about Alex Jones or about the 3000+ innocents and countless others who became faceless statistics, TONY

this is madness.what' wrong with you (people?)

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by huntergatherer

Is it really about Alex Jones or about the 3000+ innocents and countless others who became faceless statistics, TONY

this is madness.what' wrong with you (people?)

Was it about the 3,000 + innocents today when he decided to hoax the entire world, or was it more about Alex Jones?

Do you really believe what he did today helped or honored those folks in any way? If anything it set the hope for a new investigation and serious consideration back 5 years.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Speaking as someone who listens to Infowars on a semi regular basis and could be considered a fan of some of Jone's previous works......I gotta say that AJ has nobody else to blame for this bone headed debacle from today except for himself.

It was incorrect for 1hour and 30 minutes!! my god. It is not the biggest Hoax ever it does not expose him as a disinfo agent nor does it mean everything he has uncovered in the past is false it also doesn't mean now all of a sudden 9/11 was not an inside job. The truth movement isn't discredited and it sure as hell isn't flushed down the toilet. Talk about jumping the shark.

BTW Prefacing a comment with "i listen to him all the time" time garbage never really makes anyone think you listen to him and if you do you probably just listen for the mistakes he might makes.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beefcake
You can't possibly be comparing this to the Haitian UFO video.

It's rather similar.

That was never identified as being fake by the source initially or soon after.

The video creator did come forward and confirm his methods.

This AJ MOCK interview was identified by the source as being fake less than 2 hours after posting it originally.

It was presented as real, at the time of publication, after a day of "watch InfoWars.com" hype and build-up. I'm sorry, but given those very-simple condensed facts, it's very hard to categorize this as anything other than intentional deception.

I hope -- really I do -- that I'm proved wrong and a logical and reasonable explanation for the apparent deception is provided by Mr. Jones. But so far, we have none. If we get one, I'll gladly dine on crow.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

You obviously dont know me very well [snip], I have defended Alex Jones on this site ad nauseum for the last four years against every man woman and child who has labeled him as a shill and a cretin and a charlitan.

Today I can't do that. Get it?

Mod edit: Namecalling not necessary.

Peace

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Calling someone [snip] to drive your point home, how very mature of you.

Personally I think all the hype over this is ridiculous, this whole episode will likely be forgotten in a few days. Claiming that this sets a brand new 9/11 investigation back by 5 years and that all of our credibility is gone now is pretty overboard and reactionary. I can understand being angry at having been duped or something like that, but I seriously doubt that any long-term damage has been done.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Jones pulled off a hoax which was a well conceived PR stunt . SkepticOverlord did the right thing in encouraging members to point out that the story was or is a hoax . Any rational person who came across Jones for the first time via the publicity he gained is going to soon figure out that in the very least his claims are suspect .

Cheers xpert11 .

[edit on 8-9-2009 by xpert11]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It was presented as real, at the time of publication, after a day of "watch InfoWars.com" hype and build-up. I'm sorry, but given those very-simple condensed facts, it's very hard to categorize this as anything other than intentional deception.

You are simply theorizing you have no fact you just have suspicion. You have labeled it a Hoax in an effort to smear him. I was under the assumption that you needed to be certain of things here at ATS to maintain credibility.

To say all you need is an explanation from AJ is rediculous how can he prove your OPINION wrong.

As for the Hatian UFO video i know they did admit it was a Hoax but it wasn't soon after the story was posted it was awhile after AND most importantly it was proven a Hoax with many many pages on analysis and THEN the creater admitted it.

In this case the story was corrected then you called it a Hoax. No one called the white house to verify the story and then it was posted as false and THEN AJ changed it.

Timeline is important but it will never affect an opinion. If you have this opinion it was a big plan by him to garner 2 hours of press in the morning (after the big morning shows had ended) of a weekday. Then you must think AJ is an imbecile.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You are simply theorizing you have no fact you just have suspicion.

As I've stated elsewhere, I've initiated a serious effort to get in direct contact with Mr. Jones to get his side of the story, direct from his mouth.

Hopefully, we'll have some facts tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

I just can't believe that no one sees the irony in someone faking a document about exposing the truth...

It doesn't matter if it's 90 minutes or 90 days. In the age of the internet 10 minutes is enough to expose you to 10 million people.

I have to wonder if you would have the same reaction if Anderson Cooper on CNN had done a 20 minute "interview" with Obama where everything about 9/11 truthers was put to rest and Obama left smelling like roses, then 90 minutes after he posted the interview, CNN.com added that it was fictitious.

For some reason (and rightly so), I'd think you and Alex Jones himself, would have been up in arms about it and singing quite a different tune about the situation.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

You are simply theorizing you have no fact you just have suspicion.

As I've stated elsewhere, I've initiated a serious effort to get in direct contact with Mr. Jones to get his side of the story, direct from his mouth.

Hopefully, we'll have some facts tomorrow.

Good. I'm actually very glad to hear this. Its important in any investigation to get all sides of a story before determining guilt. Thank you sir.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Timeline is important but it will never affect an opinion. If you have this opinion it was a big plan by him to garner 2 hours of press in the morning (after the big morning shows had ended) of a weekday. Then you must think AJ is an imbecile.

Ah, the old "would I be stupid enough to keep my victims in the freezer" defense ...

Listen, it's obvious that you think AJ can do no wrong, your intransigence in the light of an obvious lie speaks volumes. Same goes for some folk who couldn't wait for him to do such a thing so they can go around saying "I told you so."

Me? Other than the fact that I don't like being played I'm mostly indifferent. I never frequented pp anyway as they seem to be only interested in a self validating circle jerk and don't take kindly to differing opinions.

I saw the lie, I commented on it, and by tomorrow I'll be back to not caring ... and you can go back to idolatry.

[edit on 8 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Did everyone at ATS get this U2U? If so why is this an exceptional story versus all the others that have been on the site?

Yeah I got one.. it annoyed me as now I have to read all about it to find out why it's important enough to digg and to get the mutter jokes in context.. and for the record I'm not digging it on princible as I don't care about it, have little idea what it's about and I'm not on some ATS street team.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by riley]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Look i know you don't like Alex i get it and you understand i do like Alex. We will agree to disagree.

I reiterate the initial reason for this thread. This is not the most important story of the month even i could think of 10 stories that deserved the mass u2u ahead of this one and it was very inflammatory to do it even though the cause for the delayed amendment to the initial mock interview still is not known.

The people that like Alex think its was a mistake. The people that don't like Alex think it was a publicity stunt. The people who hate Alex think he is now disinfo and has ruined 9/11 truth and betrayed everyone.

Either way the mass u2u imo should never have been sent.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

reply to post by schrodingers dog

Look i know you don't like Alex i get it and you understand i do like Alex. We will agree to disagree.

Honestly B I never said that. Like I said above I had no issues with the man. In the past I have found some of his info worthy and other stuff not so much. And still after today I have no personal issues with the man and if comes up with something with merit I won't dismiss it out of hand because of today.

My thoughts on this and the other thread are purely based on what I believe is an objective view of the facts of TODAY. I believe from experience that ATS admin's thoughts are along the same line.

But I can see why the U2U might upset you, though I believe you may not be giving it your full objectivity, so we just have to agree to disagree on that front.

[edit on 8 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join