It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did i get a U2U to Digg the Alex Jones hoax story?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beefcake
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You get thousands of stories a month and this story is most worth the mass U2U i still don't understand?

It's a matter of exposing a hoax, and showing the world that this site actually has any credibility. I'm still unsure myself though

You can digg other stories if you wish, there are links at the top of threads. Anyway I'm sure you understand the marketing implications of linking ATS to other popular internet sites.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

We were seeing many sources picking up on the story as if it were an actual interview. It seemed important to do our best to get the reality out into general awareness as quickly as possible.

We seem to be seeing some results of that effort.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

4th-Explain then, why ATS is trying to get their name attached to calling something a hoax on other sites like digg when Jones himself openly says this is not real?

That is not correct ...

AJ pimped this story as real for almost 90 minutes and didn't put a disclaimer on it until later. Whilst many outlets on the web were running with it as real an ATS member still had the original page open on his computer.

He caught AJ in a lie and ATS for the above mentioned reasons spread the word.

Then AJ conveniently says "I always said it was a fake" ... well no that is in fact a LIE, and thanks to the diligence of an ATS member we have the page to prove it.

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

We seem to be seeing some results of that effort.

And here: sittingnow.co.uk...

[edit on 8 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
In all honesty I think we should be proud of ATS for doing this, rather then just bickering about a mass u2u and its importance over other things. Again, just my 2 cents..

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

4th-Explain then, why ATS is trying to get their name attached to calling something a hoax on other sites like digg when Jones himself openly says this is not real?

That is not correct ...

AJ pimped this story as real for almost 90 minutes and didn't put a disclaimer on it until later. Whilst many outlets on the web were running with it as real an ATS member still had the original page open on his computer.

He caught AJ in a lie and ATS for the above mentioned reasons spread the word.

Then AJ conveniently says "I always said it was a fake" ... well no that is in fact a LIE, and thanks to the diligence of an ATS member we have the page to prove it.

I disagree. Given, I did not get on the moment it hit, but I read the Sheen "interview" very early today, and right at the bottom he says something along the lines of:
"this hasnt happened. yet."

Bottom line, I find it VERY suspicious that outing Alex Jones is the top news story of the day.....

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

YOu can't disagree, we have the CACHED version which proves he put it up and in an attempt to tell us it was real.

Just click the pretty green banner above the page and you'll see.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Original version: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Current/Amended version: www.prisonplanet.com...

What's there to disagree with?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

You are kidding me right you are saying that it is for the greater good because "some" sources were picking it up as real you felt it was your duty to correct them.

There are plenty of stories the mainstream media spins to a point where they are no longer even remotely true yet you don't feel this calling to correct them as urgently as this one.

You will do what you want but i think you have personal agenda with this. Probably you have never liked Alex Jones

Its ok though you are entitled to your prejudice just like anyone.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Original version: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Current/Amended version: www.prisonplanet.com...

What's there to disagree with?

As I said, I disagreed on the basis of what I saw. I never take someone's work for it. I have now seen evidence. Thank you for backing it up.

I still find it to be a farse that outing alex jones is the biggest news story of the day and worthy of this. I'm sorry, but it's following the distractions, not the news.

And, please, anyone can feel free to answer:
If there was no chance for poisitive media for ATS in this, would they be telling you to digg it?

It's amazing to me as many people that write off the msm and anything they report, but will do anything asked by ats and take the words on here as fact.....

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

YOu can't disagree, we have the CACHED version which proves he put it up and in an attempt to tell us it was real.

Just click the pretty green banner above the page and you'll see.

~Keeper

Okay, point proven. Now please, answer my question from my previous post.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I just want to put my two cents worth of a comment.

The "Fake Interview" starts with words"
"Goodaf ternoon Mr President" and Dated September the 8th.

Of course I didn't happened yet, because when fake interview was posted on the web, it waS IN THE MORNING of September the 8th.

Right there everybody should clue in that it is a FAKE!

What do you say guys?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Also, I have to point something else out: In all the threads about this today(the so very many threads), it all eventually comes down to someone saying something along the lines of "alex jones is selling a product". What exactly do you think ATS is doing?

Again, I'm not badmouthing ATS, but let's not forget that just like anywhere else, this is media. The point of media is rating/viewers/users.

Just because this is the site you like does not make it any different.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I will not disagree that advertising is the main means of revenue for ATS. However, I doubt that mod and the owners of the site saw this as an opportunity to capitalize on the event.

I just see no proof in that. I see SO sending out an U2U in regards to members being aware that it was a hoax, and making sure that any MSM that picked it up, knew that we didn't agree with what he did.

Our reputation as truthers is damaged enough as it is don't you think? Why would we need another blow which will only make getting the truth harder.

Anything to make us crazier than they already portray us is not something I like being a part of. I am happy to owners at least made an effort to distance themselves from such a thing.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxxcosta
I just want to put my two cents worth of a comment.

The "Fake Interview" starts with words"
"Goodaf ternoon Mr President" and Dated September the 8th.

Of course I didn't happened yet, because when fake interview was posted on the web, it waS IN THE MORNING of September the 8th.

Right there everybody should clue in that it is a FAKE!

What do you say guys?

That takes common sense. Most apparently missed it.

There was never any doubt that this was a mock interview, at least to those that are subjective.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I will not disagree that advertising is the main means of revenue for ATS. However, I doubt that mod and the owners of the site saw this as an opportunity to capitalize on the event.

I just see no proof in that. I see SO sending out an U2U in regards to members being aware that it was a hoax, and making sure that any MSM that picked it up, knew that we didn't agree with what he did.

Our reputation as truthers is damaged enough as it is don't you think? Why would we need another blow which will only make getting the truth harder.

Anything to make us crazier than they already portray us is not something I like being a part of. I am happy to owners at least made an effort to distance themselves from such a thing.

~Keeper

Let me start by saying, again, that I am not badmouthing anyone. I am just stating my opinion.

If ATS could get recognition as calling out the other "more extreme" conspiracy theorists and sites, do you not think that would gain them favor in the eyes of msm? A willingness to call out others makes ATS look like the shining beacon.

The idea isnt to make truthers sound crazier, its to make ats users sound smarter.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think some of you might be over thinking this a little ...

If an event was going on that was relevant to the CT and alternative news community and it was a hoax when all thought otherwise, and ATS had information to prove it, the same thing would happen.

This isn't personal to AJ. Remember, he's the one that hyped this then proceeded to lie about it. But if it was a UFO landing and ATS had uncovered that it is a hoax the same thing would have happened.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Let me start by saying, again, that I am not badmouthing anyone. I am just stating my opinion. If ATS could get recognition as calling out the other "more extreme" conspiracy theorists and sites, do you not think that would gain them favor in the eyes of msm? A willingness to call out others makes ATS look like the shining beacon. The idea isnt to make truthers sound crazier, its to make ats users sound smarter.

I also believe this is the reason the AJ story was mass U2U. It wasn't to make us aware it was to try and get all thier members to digg the storyy and not only
A)get the site ratings but
B)Endear themselves to the mainstream. Maybe even pull in bigger advertisers.
This is just theory but...

One thing it was not was a need to correct the story because some media sources were getting it wrong. The mainstream media didn't need ATS to help them determine that the President wasn't interviewed today much less about 9/11.

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Beefcake]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   

If an event was going on that was relevant to the CT and alternative news community and it was a hoax when all thought otherwise, and ATS had information to prove it, the same thing would happen.

This isn't personal to AJ. Remember, he's the one that hyped this then proceeded to lie about it. But if it was a UFO landing and ATS had uncovered that it is a hoax the same thing would have happened.

I get what you are saying, but I dont think ats uncovered anything as a hoax. I understand that so many people are saying that AJ tried to pass this off as real, but I see nothing like that. As someone pointed out, when this interview was posted, it would have had to have taken place in the future, as the interview supposedly took place this afternoon, yet was posted this morning.

Simply speaking, I guess I just find it highly disappointing that it is all about burning down AJ(who I am not necessarily a fan of) instead of A)the actual meaning of the "interview" and B)Any actual news.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Alex had the story up for less than 2 hrs in its original form then amended it yet you act like it was a great hoax trying to trick everyone like the Caret drones.

This would never have tricked anyone so it was never intended to. Do you actually think AJ is stupid enough to try and trick people with something that could easily be verified by msm with a phone call.

Alex doesn't do his site his staff does and i think they made a mistake its the only logical conclusion.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Beefcake

His motives are his own ...

Nevertheless at the time, whatever his reasoning, he was pushing the story as true. An ATS member found out it wasn't and ATS went from there.

I'm sure there will be a million excuses and mental somersaults to rationalize his behavior away ... and your interpretation is as good as any and may well even be true. But that doesn't change the facts as they unfolded this morning. And if you look at it with fairness and objectivity I find there is little to blame ATS for in this fracas. Again, this was not of their instigation.

[edit on 8 Sep 2009 by schrodingers dog]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join