It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS becoming less "fringe-y" ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Just curious as to what you all think...I was a lurker here for awhile before joining, so I've seen the board develop over the last 5 or more years...

It seems to me in that time that the number of threads about aliens/UFOs/Annunaki and other "metaphysical" and speculative subjects has declined, while the number of more "hard-edged" threads about the economy and politics has grown. This is a purely subjective impression, and I make no value judgements on it...I like both aspects of ATS. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

If this is truly so, I guess a possible explanation is that the "real world" has come to resemble what ATS'ers were predicting 5 or 6 years ago...that is, "real world" politics and economics have become a lot more surreal, so there is more to talk about from those angles...again, however, my perception may be skewed based on the parts of the board I visit.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Personally I just think we are in the middle of a 'lull' in ufological related topics right now. I mean there is only so much that can be discussed in a very slow moving field, such as ufology and most associated topics. Where as the political field is VERY active right now. It comes and goes, there is still a lot of new thread in the UFO forum, but sadly 99% of them are crappy like a dot in the sky, a balloon, CGI, or other hoax. For the near two years I have been on here it seems like ATS is cyclical in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I think ATS has lost its 'fringe' because the world is almost at the 'fringe' *chuckles*

The information coming from our media is more concerning than 2 years ago. I say this started August last year with the war on Georgia. The majority are waiting for the 'big news' that will change our lives like 9/11 did.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself in these matters. At about the same time I started plunging into the depths of what could be, I also realized the need to become more healthy and detox my body. A few years later, several techniques later, I'm much more healthy than before.

I say this quote every once in a while, "People don't see the world as it is, they see it as they are". So I am doing an extrapolation and saying that maybe the people who were most ill were seeing/viewing the darkest extremes, and now have either gone and passed, or are now becoming more healthy through both knowledge/experience, and more healthy lifestyle choices.

This directly pertains to myself, and may ring true for some others, though I think many reasons likely exist.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
It's probably because all the big conspiracies concerning the possibility of extraterrestrial life or UFO's has been investigated and discussed ad-nauseum in ATS. there is practically not much one could say that has not been said already.

I joined ATS mainly to learn more about Ufology and astrobiology and if there is some truth in those claims, but I have come to learn more about politics and conspiracies regarding politics than anything else in here.

Hopefully a big incident concerning extraterrestrials happens soon (as long as it is not a space war haha), it's been a while since ATS has seen a huge thread on this subject.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I am fairly new here. When I joined I was expecting a lot of paranormal type stuff. I haven't really seen much of that. Of course I joined for the government conspiracies.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It's interesting that people will post new threads on old topics by searching youtube. And yet, they don't search for topics here. This is why ATS needs to have more and better media as well.

Old threads might than be documented in a video. Some people just prefer to watch than to read. I know I've never been a very good reader and have a poor memory.

I still don't have any threads even though my experiences are much more than many threads offer to me. People don't usually want personal accounts as much as something thats more tangible.

I used to have proof, but they're hidden, buried, lost or stolen. If I had a Foo Fighter, ATS would have had a display by now.

Even people with credentials aren't that exciting anymore. I think we've been maxed out and many are tired of reruns.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I would suggest that if you do not like what you are seeing, come up with an idea that you would like to see. Who knows, you may re ignite something here or within yourself. That's why this site is so cool, it is as good as you can make it. Just think.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

I would suggest that if you do not like what you are seeing, come up with an idea that you would like to see. Who knows, you may re ignite something here or within yourself. That's why this site is so cool, it is as good as you can make it. Just think.

I never said anything about "not liking what I'm seeing." I'm just making an observation and wondering if others agree or disagree.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I noticed this same exact thing! I came here for the paranormal and UFO stuff, but the politics have definetly come into season here. Im sure it will pass but then again who knows. Im not into politics at all, myself. So ive been posting alot on the Psychology board.

Im sure it will pass though, its just what happens when a new president gets elected.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
With a larger membership, the "nutter" element is inevitably going the way of the Dodo.

Plus you have to remember that with all the energy going into the 9/11 lunacy, the paraskeptics have less time to set Bigfoot traps, signal to passing UFOs with their GI Joe flashlights, and scan Google Earth for the entrance to the Dulce complex.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I was not on this great forum for that long, but i am sure that since lot of people here have no trust in mass media , X-files show termination had nothing to do with decrease in UFO/paranormal topics. And increase of political (9/11,iraqi war,Bush criticism) fuss in mass media over last few years also had nothing to do with increase of political topics. Pure coincidence. There cannot be any fashion trend in such a topic as conspiracies.
Plus, there is no hidden effort to destabilize US/West in general by re-awakening old Nazi/Soviet propaganda. So it also has nothing to do with what people are choosing to post on conspiracy forums in general.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Funny. Just the other day in a "Bacon causes curly hair!" thread someone complained that ATS is getting "too out there".

Seriously though. Take a careful look at threads that explore the really "out there" ideas. The OPs get insulted and called "nutters". So I would think that people get a bit weary of posting "fringe" topics. Members demand facts and proof. Sounds more "scientific" than "fringe" to me.

And on the other hand - ATS topics rise and fall with the topics that are "important" (to the members). If politics is today's flavour, you will see a rise in politics. If economics are a daily concern, then the discussions will rise.

The ebb and flow of topics (and field of interest) is really fascinating to watch. Someone should record it and write a thread about it. Should make for some interesting reading.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I have no complaints about ATS. It's where I like to post the night away at.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I agree. I just don't think there is any new conspriracy material. Everything has been debated. But even when new stuff is presented, then everyone is so obsessed with the partisan bickering that they don't even notice it.

I started a thread on the Emilia Earhardt mystery. I figured SOMEONE on ats has to be somewhat of an expert in it. But I got nothing.

And this has happened to several people.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I agree, theres a lot of people here who have got good at digging out the truth using resources like this site.

At the same time i think that the more fanciful subjects get forgotten when we have real life threats,diseases and financial troubles like we have today.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Hi Silent, maybe its a consequence of individuals realising that political democracies are bunk, and this is the only real say they get to have at all; although that seems at times to be like 'walking on eggshells'.
In reality we (in democracies) only get a marginal political say once every four years; and then the policies we vote one party in over another quickly disappear after the election; and eventually the status-quo outs.
Maybe that is why the sentiments have apparently changed on hear; personally, I haven't been hear for that long.

[edit on 9/19/2009 by KRISKALI777]

[edit on 9/19/2009 by KRISKALI777]

top topics

join