It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan to tax people without health insurance in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So assanine I cant even say anything. People and families don't insure because they are poor. Still being poor means they still cannot afford health insurance. Or maybe just don't want it!

I hate US government. I want out, I want to make US dollars and leave the country . that is, if the US dollar holds strong. If not, passport and ticket to Brazil please....

here is your news
Associated PressAll Associated Press news

WASHINGTON (AP) - Americans would be fined up to $3,800 for failing to buy health insurance under a plan that circulated in Congress on Tuesday as President Barack Obama met Democratic leaders to search for ways to salvage his health care overhaul.

In advance of what Obama hopes will be a game-changing speech to lawmakers, the one idea that most appeals to the Democrats' liberal base lost ground in Congress. Prospects for a government-run plan to compete with private insurers sank as a leading moderate said he could no longer support the idea.

The fast-moving developments put Obama in a box. As a candidate, he opposed fines to force individuals to buy health insurance, and he supported setting up a government insurance plan.

Democratic leaders put on a bold front as they left the White House after their meeting with the president.

"We're re-energized; we're ready to do health care reform," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., insisted the public plan is still politically viable. "I believe that a public option will be essential to our passing a bill in the House of Representatives," she said.

After a month of contentious forums, Americans were seeking specifics from the president in his speech to a joint session of Congress on Wednesday night. So were his fellow Democrats, divided on how best to solve the problem of the nation's nearly 50 million uninsured.

The latest proposal: a bipartisan compromise that Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., a moderate who heads the influential Finance Committee, was trying to broker.

Baucus, meeting with a small group of fellow senators, promoted a plan that would guarantee coverage for nearly all Americans at a cost to taxpayers of under $900 billion over 10 years.

Some experts consider that a relative bargain because the country now spends about $2.5 trillion a year on health care. But it would require hefty fees on insurers, drug companies and others in the health care industry to help pay for it.

Just as auto coverage is now mandatory in most states, Baucus would a require that all Americans get health insurance once the system is overhauled. Penalties for failing to get insurance would start at $750 a year for individuals and $1,500 for families. Households making more than three times the federal poverty level — about $66,000 for a family of four — would face the maximum fines. For families, it would be $3,800, and for individuals, $950.

edit, forgot your source:

news.moneycentral.msn.com...

[edit on 8-9-2009 by vonholland]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by vonholland

So assanine I cant even say anything. People and families don't insure because they are poor.

Actually, your poor people are being provided free insurance. I seriously doubt the poor will ever be effected by the tax.

This bill is also about one of the only compromised bills there is.

Furthermore, your debating only a portion of the bill. Would you not deem it wise to look at the bill in its entirety before condemning it.

It might end up being better than it sounds.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
#1 you can't tax people who don't have an income, see the unemployment figures lately?

#2 If people could afford to be taxed that much extra, they could afford to BUY INSURANCE right now, DUH!!!

More stupidity from the .gov

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Gosh, but i don't believe you're allowed to quote entire articles?

so if those who aren't insured cannot pay fines are put in prison? what then? the prison structure in America is already well oversubscribed. who pays for the massive extra capacity?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
#1 you can't tax people who don't have an income, see the unemployment figures lately?

#2 If people could afford to be taxed that much extra, they could afford to BUY INSURANCE right now, DUH!!!

More stupidity from the .gov

Don't think that not having money or being poor will save you from the possibility of being compelled to perform community service.

Many people who can not afford to pay traffic citations and other fines are made to perform community service in lieu of cash.

This is a community service, public service, snap happy bunch in Washington right now. Don't think they won't have you standing on the side of a free way picking up styrofoam cups if you have no cash!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
more great news from our masters.. i mean leaders..

So what about those of us that dont need insurance? i cant remember the last time i was in a DR office.. although i have insurance for me and my family its a waste for me.. sure if something big happend it would be great, but whats the odds... (well ok)
But sreiously, how much a month for insurance forme, compared to never going.....

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
They can tax the strawman all they want. They can't tax a living human and I will not contract to stand in for the strawman.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Welcome to the Communist STATES of AMERICA. This has come about because people won't do for themselves. It's become a hand out society. Give me this, give me that... How about earning it.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Great keep the poor down and feed the rich and privileged until their gluttonous insatiable hunger for money is bursting their already fat bellies. God bless America.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I knew it , just heard on patriot radio that they have enough votes to pass the health bill.
They wanted the Bank bail out , and american's said no and they passed it anyways.
They wanted the Fanny mae bail out, and american's said no and they passed it anyways.
They wanted to buy car companys, and american's said no and they passed it anyways.
They wanted goverment healt care and american's are REALLY sayin NO, and those s.o.b's are going to pass it anyways.

Please will someone fire the first shot , lets go get 'em

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
so basically if i cant find insurance for under $80 a month (next to impossible) it would be cheaper to pay the $950 fine.
The public option sounds good, only if it doesnt involve getting chipped to be covered under obamacare.

I only really need the doctor once every 5 years or so to write me a prescription for antibiotics. The rest of the time im rather healthy.

Real insurance? 300 x 12 = $3600
Pay the fine? = $950
None of the above and pay $200 for doc visit and prescription every 5 years..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I didnt read the damn thing, but if its real..I guess we can start pressuring the Fed to release our gold.

You start breaking out all the gold you owe us, and we will start paying you for you taxes. Why do we pay taxes with an iou likes its our gold?

Stop believing in their system!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Actually, your poor people are being provided free insurance. I seriously doubt the poor will ever be effected by the tax.

Exactly.

This is aimed at the people who are just above the poverty line and forcing them into the government welfare rolls. They won't be able to afford the insurance premiums or the fines so they will give up.

Another thin slice of the middle class removed and condemned to stay in the lower class by government targeted tax/fine manipulation.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Didn't I also hear today that the health insurance companies will pay
an additional 35% tax under the Senate bill? This Government is going
tax crazy! I just noticed on my cellphone billing statement that the tax
was $14.65 on a $79.00 family plan. That's about 15% isn't it? Holy
smokes!!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Grayelf2009

I don't want you to think that I am attacking you here because that is not the case. With that said we here at ATS sit and talk about a take over well a revolution for lack of a better word. I think that is bunk and I will tell you why it is one thing to talk about it, it is another to actually do it and be involved in it and I for one am guilty for thinking that am what the country needs. what we need to do is get involved in a viable third party build it from the ground up fill it with patriots people that will follow the constitution and the bill of rights. We should imo after forming such a party conduct a general strike country wide send the message to D.C. that we will no longer tolerate there shenanigans. Elect the third party to congress, it is just an idea I do not have a clue on how this could or would be accomplished but if we could make it happen I believe that we could turn this buss around and save our country.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
So what about those of us that dont need insurance? i cant remember the last time i was in a DR office..

[sarcasm]
Oh, but that isn't your decision to make anymore. The Government knows better than you.

I mean, our leaders have to be smart right? Of course they are, they are all rich. They must be so much smarter than the rest of us to be that rich.
[/sarcasm]

I have been to a drug pushe--- uh, a doctor exactly once in 19 years, and that just for a check-up. What a waste of time. I am apparently in perfect health and I was not believed when I said I have been smoking for 30 years. However, that was nothing compaired to the total bewilderment that ensued when I refused whatever triple-layered vaccine they wanted to inject me with.

I have very good insurance through my employer that I pay for and never use. I'm caring for my health just fine thanks. I don't need anymore Healthcare, while those who do need it can't get it. This is one screwed up system.

I know why. We are nothing but profit centers and production resources (or liabilities) to these people.

I have decided that we are secretly being ruled by Ferengi!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I wondered after reading this that maybe it's going to be taken out of the EIC earned income credit people typically get on their tax return.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
They can take their healthcare plan and shove it. They can fine me all they want. Am I going to pay it? Hell no. Are they going to try and collect it from me by force? I dare them. I'm tired of this government trying to cram this crap down our throats. Democracy my ass.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashnomadonte
reply to post by Grayelf2009

I don't want you to think that I am attacking you here because that is not the case. With that said we here at ATS sit and talk about a take over well a revolution for lack of a better word. I think that is bunk and I will tell you why it is one thing to talk about it, it is another to actually do it and be involved in it and I for one am guilty for thinking that am what the country needs. what we need to do is get involved in a viable third party build it from the ground up fill it with patriots people that will follow the constitution and the bill of rights. We should imo after forming such a party conduct a general strike country wide send the message to D.C. that we will no longer tolerate there shenanigans. Elect the third party to congress, it is just an idea I do not have a clue on how this could or would be accomplished but if we could make it happen I believe that we could turn this buss around and save our country.

I like this plan. There are enough Constitutionalists in this country that we could do this easily. I say out with the dirty and stained laundry and in with the new and clean stuff. Sick and tired of these dirtbags.

join