It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President to be 'very forceful' in Wednesday address

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

President Barack Obama plans to get much more assertive when he addresses a joint session of Congress Wednesday night at a critical stage in the health-care debate.

Top aides say his fiery Labor Day speech to an organized-labor crowd in Ohio was a preview of a more passionate case for reform that's coming later this week.

The top aides say the president is putting his own strong imprint on the speech to Congress. After advisers last week submitted various thoughts on what the speech should say, Obama spent much of the weekend at Camp David crafting the actual address, which currently is running about 37 minutes in draft form.

"He will be very forceful," one senior Obama aide said about the tone of the speech. "He will be making the case for action."

A second senior Obama aide said that while the president knows that a rousing organized labor crowd is a much different audience than a joint session of Congress — along with millions of Americans watching on television Wednesday night — Monday's speech set the stage for what will be a more aggressive case for reform than the public has seen thus far.

"He will make a strong case Wednesday night on what health-care reform means to Americans," the second aide said on Monday. "Today you began to see a preview of what you will see Wednesday night."

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...

Well this should be interesting.
I wonder if he's going to play the old game of "if you don't do this or support that, then you're unAmerican or unPatriotic or a terrorist" or whatever.
Should be interesting to watch where this leads.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well, it's about time. But knowing Obama, that probably means he'll say, "Come on, you guys! I mean it"!
That was a joke, but I couldn't resist.

I look forward to hearing his speech. There's a lot of 'hoopla' so I hope it doesn't disappoint.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Ya know whats funny?
I don't remember any past president with an assertive voice. Not recently, at least. (past 20 years)

For this guy to have his cabinet say he's going to be forceful, just goes to show what kind of power he's after.

We will see what he has to say.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Ya know whats funny?
I don't remember any past president with an assertive voice. Not recently, at least. (past 20 years)

"You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists."

That doesn't strike you as assertive?

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eviant

Originally posted by havok
Ya know whats funny?

"You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists."

That doesn't strike you as assertive?

Who said that? Bush Jr.? After a terrorist attack, thats expected. There is no reason to be forceful in passing a health care reform bill. It doesn't need passed. It needs trimmed.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The resistance will only increase with his efforts to be more aggressive with his plan. Its a natural reaction and it is a reaction that Obama was not expecting.

His well rehearsed script should be interesting. Cue the pounding fist on the podium puppeteers.

Hope the teleprompter doesn't go wacky on him.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Like I said before, without a public option the reform will be nothing but a joke to the American tax payer and needy in the nation to fall into the hands of corrupted health insurance with the rights to milk the tax payer at will by law..

Does anybody has learned about the new proposition? insurance Co-ops by none profit organizations?

Interesting concept two states are already into that.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So when a President is overly cautious and Politically Correct in his rhetoric and doesn't take a firm stand on anything, he's "Wishy-Washy" and a "Flip-Flopper", but when they take a stand to state definitively what they stand for, and make a call to Congress to get off the fence and make a stand too, he's demonized?

Talk about a Catch-22, a darned if you do, darned if you don't, no-win situation!

The President doesn't get to decide on Health Care. He either gets to Sign or Veto what Congress decides to do. Wasn't it Ronald Reagan who attributed Politicians to being the second-oldest profession in the world, but having far more in common with the oldest profession in the world that there really shouldn't be a distinction? The President knows that Congress is going to whore itself out to the highest bidder, despite the Will of the American People, or the better interests of the Nation. Taking a stand and issuing a heart-felt plea to Congress to grow some morals and a back-bone and get something done this session for the American People, instead of their own Checkbook Balances, doesn't sound out of place or uncalled for...matter of fact, it sounds rather overdue.

If we didn't want a resolute President, then why did we give him a desk in his Oval Office named "Resolute"?

However, I do agree with the poster that joked that a firm and resolute speech from Obama will come out as "Come on guys! I mean it!" with a few "Please?...Pretty Please?...With sugar on top even?" thrown in for good measure.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Taking a stand and issuing a heart-felt plea to Congress to grow some morals and a back-bone and get something done this session for the American People, instead of their own Checkbook Balances, doesn't sound out of place or uncalled for...matter of fact, it sounds rather overdue.

But here's the issue. [opinion] How is this reform going to help us? It is clearly for government controlled health care. I fully understand the corruption in the private insurance sectors, but we don't need the gov't providing their written up form of insurance. We need government reform. Not this way. Not rushed through. [/opinion]

You are right though. Anyone who feels strongly should stand up for what they believe in. Anyone can see through this guy. He didn't make these decisions. They [TPTB] did.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
he'll probably say something along the lines of...

Your going to get your flu shot like a good little citizen and stop complaining or questioning my Authoriteh! (ala Cartman)
And we will be taking another few trillion from your childrens future, you have no say, it's for your own good. Now sit down STFU and smile.

CX

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well unless i missed something, i thought the speech was fine.

I'd have let my kids watch it, in fact it was the very things i say to my own kids.

The only thing i had issue with was when he said that you let your country down if you let yourself down. (i'll check the exact words before taking that as gospel) I might not agree with "the country" and the way it does things, so does that have anything to do with whether i succeed or not?

Anyway, definately nothing to worry about in the speech.

CX.

[edit on 8/9/09 by CX]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

This is about Obama's address to Congress on Wednesday, not the speech to the kids.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Obama has to be forceful here. I think it's time that he realizes that the GOP is refusing to work with Obama on this, except for a few Republicans. We don't need the GOP to pass this.

So, if you have senators like Inhofe who refuses to read the bill, or representatives saying that Obama's plan will fail, it's time to pull the crap out.

We need a public option. Without that option, there is no reason for a plan...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

*laughs* I was kinda thinking the same thing myself. Is there really a forceful Obama, or is it a cool: we need this know *fist thud on podium*.

You have to admit angry Bush was good so we will see how an angry Obama is.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

*laughs* I was kinda thinking the same thing myself. Is there really a forceful Obama, or is it a cool: we need this know *fist thud on podium*.

You have to admit angry Bush was good so we will see how an angry Obama is.

I think Obama would be that quiet angry kind of guy.

You know, when he's speaking, and you know he's pissed off, but he's very calm about it, and you're scared that if you say something wrong, he'll blow his lid off.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mak Manto

I had a boss who was one of those. He never raised his voice. But he had this ability that when he was angry, he could cut through you like a hot knife through butter. Could send a bunch of adults scurrying.
I wish I could get that ability.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Aye, that's a very scary kind of voice...

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I hope he's VERY forceful! It's about time!
He gave it a bi-partisan try, the Repubs are not interested in any reform, only trying to destroy Obama,
Time to smash 'em. The Dems hold the majority in Congress, time for Pelosi
and Reid to kick some *** and get their troops in line.
Repubs LOST, too bad for the Townhall crowd, PASS THE PUBLIC OPTION!!
When the Repubs held Congress, they passed what they wanted, it's time for Dems to Man UP!

CX

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by CX

This is about Obama's address to Congress on Wednesday, not the speech to the kids.

Lol ok......i'll get my coat.

CX.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
As much as I dislike the man and wish he was far, far away from the Whitehouse, I'd watch his more "forcefull" speeches if he'd simply slip into a little good old fashioned WWF Rocky Maivia type speechifying.

"and know this, if you rooty-poo candy asses in Congress don't pass this health reform bill, Barack is gonna take his right hand *raises right hand and pauses* and Barack is gonna take his left hand *raises left hand and pauses* and Barack is gonna lay the smack down with both hands on all you jabronis!"

At least then I'd have one fond memory of the dude insterspersed into the list as long as my arm of reasons that he sucks.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join